Author Topic: gamma knife if AN pressing on brain stem ?  (Read 2501 times)

Peggy

gamma knife if AN pressing on brain stem ?
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:50:26 pm »
I've been reading about gk, which has been suggested to me for treatment, my AN is medium, (dont have measurements with me ) anyway, the doc said it is pressing on my brain stem, from what I've read with gk, the AN will swell, what happens then if its already pressing on my brain stem, won't that be bad?  do they always swell with gk?  I still have one more doctor to see tomorrow, and if I dont like his suggestion or its different than the first doc, I'll see a third. 

still researching!!!

Peggy

Sefra22

Re: gamma knife if AN pressing on brain stem ?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 04:13:28 pm »
Hi Peggy,
I had GK for my AN which was "exerting mass" on my brain stem. The doctors spent hours mapping the tumor before the procedure, to make sure that no surrounding tissue was affected. I have had some swelling, but the symptoms I have had since are very manageable.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

sgerrard

Re: gamma knife if AN pressing on brain stem ?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 01:53:24 am »
Going by the reports of people posted on this forum, the swelling seems to average about 2mm or so. That's enough to create some symptoms and discomfort, but not enough to pose a serious new threat to the brain stem. By most accounts, the symptoms subside and clear up with time. You may still want to see that 3rd doc, just to have a clear picture of what the range of opinions are on your case.

Keep on researching, you will find the right answer soon enough.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.