Author Topic: Fatigue and eye swelling after Novalis Radation treatment  (Read 5658 times)

crystallady

Fatigue and eye swelling after Novalis Radation treatment
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:51:02 pm »
I finally had radio surgery on 5/22.  The day after I felt great, the second day I was very fatigued and had very swollen eyes because of the halo.  So far I havent had any ringing, hearing loss, short term memory loss, headaches, or any other side effects.  Do other side effects show up as time go on?

Cindy

ceeceek

Re: Fatigue and eye swelling after Novalis Radation treatment
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 06:43:52 am »
It appears to be the general norm to have any affects, if you are going to have them around the 6 months time frame after treatement....the head frame I can sympothize with...I had surgery itself, and one of the worst parts was where they put the markers and the head frame..I will be following up with CK and looking forward to no head frame......I still have lumps on my head and my surgery was April 19th.....
If you experience, ringing, headaches, dizziness, extreme fatigue etc. you will likely have those effects as the tumor begins to die...around 6 mos....make sure to keep your Dr informed as common treatment is steroids..which judging by the board seem to be pretty effective at eleviation any effects...many people have no effects so keep your fingers crossed.
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:48:56 am »
Hey Cindy... I hope you are holding up ok.... since you just had your treatment, you may notice things occuring for the (approx) first 6 mos.  Yes, fatigue is part of any AN treatment (and having brain tumors)..... I cannot comment as to the swollen eyes as I had Cyberknife, thus, no headframe.

You may (again, using the word "may") experience enhanced fatigue, dizziness, enhanced tinnitus, balance issues, etc.  For those of us that had radio-treatment, these seem to be common denominators of our treatments.  For me, I found that after the first 6 mos, many of these diminished or all together, disappeared.

Please listen to your body if it talks and wants rest.  You are not even 1 wk post treatment, so listen to it as it will take care of you if you do.

Hang in there... and welcome to being a "postie" :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

crystallady

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 04:25:52 pm »
6 months of this!  I have to go back to work!  I had a meningioma, 4 cm, removed in January and lost my left side, fought to get it back then got huge blood clots in both my legs.  I had to start all over again with walking. I am on blood thinners still and will be for several months.  I dont have much left in me to deal with feeling so fatigued, running into walls, mild confusion, etc for 6 months!   ???   I could lose my job if this lasts that long.  I have already been out of work for 4 months.  I guess i have to accept that this is a life altering thing to have/had brain tumors and my life will never be the same.  Cant do half the stuff I use to do.   :'(

ceeceek

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 05:38:23 pm »
Hang in there..so far, you said your symptoms were basically fatigue....so up your vitamins...drink plenty of fluid....lay of heavy duty excercise but I might suggest a light trainng such as Curves....excercise does help with fatigue believe it or not..and try not to panic....I have strenous job and feel for you...with the whole tired issue..going back to work after actual brain surgery week 5......get tired easy, but oh well..sleep when I die.....I have found that a light excercise routine has helped....and lots and lots and lots of water.....plain old everyday water.......on top of everything else I drink...
hang in there keep us posted..you are past the bad part and on to the cure .....
Ceecee
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 09:37:04 pm »
Cindy,

Hoping you didn't misunderstand what I wrote... I noted that some of these things could happen approx 6 months... doesn't mean that they will or they won't. Individual results may vary. ceeceek gives great suggestions and it's finding ways to keep your energy level up. Proper diet and exercise are some things that can help.

Again, where you just had the treatment, please hang in there... things should get easier.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

crystallady

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 07:36:11 pm »
Thanks for your support.  The symptoms have calm down but I feel like I am drunk running into walls!  :D  Kind of irritating but tolerable.  Like the last 4 months, I am taking one day at a time.  Glad there is a board like this for support! 

Cindy B.

ceeceek

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 09:56:57 pm »
anytime.....try and work with an excercise ball that is designed to help with balance issues...any gym should have a trained "trainer" that can show you some basic balance excercises, and that should help..and remember the water thing too.......I must drink 3 galls of fluid a day, but have found it has really helped...if after a few weeks, you are still having problems dispite excercise, I would suggest yet again.....my personal favorite...acupuncture.....it works well for stroke victims recovering balance, but at this point I doubt you need it unless you just cant tolerate it.....
Ceecee

crystallady

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 08:27:40 pm »
First, I want to say thank for everyone that responded to this thread back in May.  I just want to give you an update.  I am doing great.  I went back to work part time in the beginning of June working from home and then full time at work at the middle of July.  I have very MILD presure headaches occasionally but they have been very tolerable.  I wasnt taking any meds except for celexa for anxiety and blood thinners for the DVT's, which by the way they are almost GONE!!   :D ;D :D  However, recently, they pressure headaches got worse and debilitating and extremely fatigued.ad an MRI and after 3.5 months since the one treatment, this ROTTEN AN is already shrinking and showing NECROSIS!  I was told in this string that you would have symptoms up to or again around 6 months, well I have had symptoms again at 3.5 months.  My oncologist said it was because the radiation is working again or still working but regardless, it was having an effect on my AN, LIKE KILLING IT!   ;D  The oncologist put me on a temporary does of prednisone to reduce the inflamation from the radiation.  I was also told by the docs to drink water, alot of water, and that has helped.  Hmmm, wonder where I heard that before?   ;)  I also started the gym again but with "take it easy for awhile" instructions from my PCP.   ::)

So, again, thank you and I have found more sensible information and support from this site.