Author Topic: Numbness comes and goes  (Read 3364 times)

jaqiday

Numbness comes and goes
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:09:14 pm »
I am almost 6 months post op (retro sig) and was left with facial nerve paralysis. After surgery my cheek and part of my tongue were numb. This went away after about two months and keeps coming back. This time its seems worse. I woke up literally chomping on my cheek and couldn't feel it. I feel like I was getting better and now it has all reverted back. I also notice my eyelid droop gets tighter and looser, but never closer to normal. I also have weird taste sensation.  I know it takes time to heal but I am really getting discouraged. Next MRI is late Oct to check the tumor sliver that was left.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

thanks
Right AN 3.2cm 2-27-15
Retrosigmoid 3-9-15 6 hours
Facial nerve paralysis, dry eye, balance problems
Finding a new normal...

LakeErie

Re: Numbness comes and goes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:00:28 am »
I do not have facial paralysis, but did have facial numbness and tingling pre-diagnosis as well as pronounced taste disturbances. Following surgery the numbness did improve and so did the tingling. The taste disturbances were something I just adjusted to over time. However at times some numbness does return in places and so does the tingling. The AN side of tongue is still numb but I am just used to it so I don't notice it as much. I am approaching my 4 year MRI Sept 30 on the tumor remnants left on my brain stem and facial nerve at the IAC, so it has been a while now. I do think that my symptoms overall are greatly improved over longer periods of time, but they do persist in my case. Good luck
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017