Author Topic: Decision made. Date set... Now what?  (Read 7606 times)

OTO

Re: Decision made. Date set... Now what?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »
Jays,

Staying at Seton Guest House is very convenient, but the accomodations are simple.  Think college dormitory.   They change the bed linens once a week, and you can get your own clean towels from the cart in the hall.   There is a TV room with a VCR and DVD player, but selection of tapes/DVDs are limited.  I don't think the TV in the rooms had more than basic channels (no CNN, ESPN, etc.).   

If you arrive after hours (or early in the morning), you need to make arrangements with the office to pick up the keys at the Security Guard desk in the hospital lobby.     

Post-op, I took walks around the hospital neighborhood with my father, but didn't feel like doing anything else.   My father spent the day reading the newspaper, and a big stack of magazines that he brought from home.  Some people rent a car and do things.  Parking is in the hospital parking garage.   My father is 73 and didn't want to drive in LA.   My cousin did take us out for lunch a couple of times, but I was lazy and didn't do much. 

There are not too many places to eat within walking distance other than a Burger King, a hole-in-the-wall Korean/burger joint, a Thai restaurant, and Latino restaurant.   Down by MacArthur Park is a big hispanic market area with some fast food places, but the walk back up the hilll, knocked me out (I'm a real couch potato). 

In the lobby of the Seton House, there's a 3-ring binder with listing of restaurants within close driving distance.    In your pre-op packet that House sends to you, they provide a list of hotels that provide a House Clinic discount.   Some people stay a hotel for a little more luxury. 

Your pre-op tests and appointments will last a full day including going to the lab at St Vincent for blood, urine and chest X-ray.    You'll start at the House Clinic at around 7:30 a.m. and finish around 5 p.m.   When I went the lab for the tests, the clerk also did a lot of the paper work for the next day's surgery, so the next morning went very fast (checked in at around 6:00 am and with 45 minutes I was on the gurney headed to pre-op).   

Don't worry too much about your hair.  The House docs only shave about a 1-1/2 inch strip along the incision line.   

NL

Re: Decision made. Date set... Now what?
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 01:06:52 pm »
Hi Jays,

I had my surgery at House in August 2008 but live in LA, so I can't really help you with info on travel or Seton. But it seems like you've received lots of good info and advice from those who did make the trip to LA.

I just wanted to let you know that there are three of us House alums who live in LA and are here for you if you need us.  :) I sent you a PM, too.

Congrats on making your decision and best of luck,

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan