Author Topic: Post op questions  (Read 2856 times)

riabovamd

Post op questions
« on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:54 am »
Hello, friends!
I had my translab 1/24/17 at House.  Dr. Schwartz, Slattery, Stephan.  Perfect team, smooth postop.  I flew back 2/3, back to work 2/6. Walking, doing stretching, moving head all directions helps. 
Of course fatigue is there.  But life is great.  I do need your advice if the following is a common place concerns (I do not want to ignore new  symptoms):
1. Night hot and cold sweats- soaking bedsheets and changing 2 pj per night.  No fever -98.1 max.  No infected body parts.
2.  Neck tension, on the side of surgery , no pain- how soon postop you tried massage ?
3. Nose secretions- only if I touch tissue there is a small wet spot on it- nothing is dripping, no CSF leak the way forum describes.

It is amazing how much reserve human body and mind has.  Take care of it!

mandihester

Re: Post op questions
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:38:38 am »
I had a neck massage a couple weeks after my surgery.  Just make sure they steer clear of the incision.  It helped me tremendously!
AN right side found August 2016- grape size
Retrosigmoid microsurgery October 2016
Before surgery- minor hearing loss, major balance and dizziness issues.
After surgery- severe hearing loss (it fluctuates), no dizziness, minor balance issues

Cruzinpa

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:12:26 am »
Hi, I had retrosig on 1/20. Not a great quick outcome like you but on the mend. I was also sweating at night. It was the steroids. Not sure about the other things you mentioned but I'm so glad your surgery went well and you are so positive.

caryawilson

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:40:28 pm »
Neck tension - Part of my surgery they disconnected the neck muscles, which I understand is common for our surgery.  I was told a common cause of headaches, is the lack of symmetrical strength between the sides of the neck muscles.  I was told to swim to build up the neck muscles.  So after four weeks, I was swimming a mile, a couple days a week.

Sweating - for me was the steroids.  To keep the swelling down, brain surgery patients are on massive doses of steroids.

Impressive you are back to work!!!!
4.5 cm, 17.5 hour modified retro surgery
John Hopkins: Lim / Carey
Complete Facial Paralysis
Facial Plastic Surgeon (amazing): Dr. Boahene

riabovamd

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »
Thanks for super quick replies! I had a quick steroid wean protocol, off steroids for 5 days now. Off all meds, never took any pain meds either.  Actually night sweats started after Decadron stopped...  Will keep you posted .....