Author Topic: Why so tired?  (Read 11512 times)

Sam-NewZealand

• My Blog : Sams Snippets
Why so tired?
« on: December 16, 2012, 03:24:10 am »
.. so is tiredness a normal AN 'sideaffect' .... i have constant tinnitus in my left, and have been very emotional since diagnosis but overall i'm just SOOOO tired!  All household chores seem to have gone out the window and i'm feeling lazy ... is this normal ?
MRI on 16 Nov 2012 diagnosed - 29 years old!
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear
7 hr AN surgery 25 Jan 2013
2 hr CSF Leak surgery 16 Feb
SSD Left, dry eye & slight Facial Nerve Damamge

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Why so tired?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:18 am »
Hi Sam-NewZealand .....

So sorry you are having to deal with an AN at your age.  Fatigue/tiredness seems to be one of the fairly universal symptoms/side effects of having an AN.  Dealing with hearing loss and balance issues is very taxing on the brain.  Much of the energy previously available is now being spent trying to compensate for the loss of hearing and maintaining our balance, to say nothing of dealing with the constant tinnitus.

I have just accepted that I have to sit or lie down for quick five minute "power naps" where I close my eyes and shut everything out.  Usually that is enough for me to be able to regain some energy.

With two small children, that is no easy task.  When I was pregnant with my second and third children, I used to gather puzzles or books and put my children on the bed with me for quick naps.  Maybe that is a possibility when they are home.

Many thoughts and prayers.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

LakeErie

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:43:52 am »
A diagnosis of AN itself is stressful, as is the need for research about treatment modes and doctors.
Stress adds to the fatigue that can arise from your brain adapting to hearing and balance loss. After surgery, your brain again is challenged to adapt to its new circumstances and fatigue is an issue. Rest, regular rest, before and after surgery was an important component of my routine. Good luck.
4.7 cm x 3.6 cm x 3.2 cm vestibular schwannoma
Simplified retrosigmoid @ Cleveland Clinic 10/06/2011
Rt SSD, numbness, vocal cord and swallowing problems
Vocal cord and swallowing normalized at 16 months. Numbness persists.
Regrowth 09/19/2016
GK 10/12/2016 Cleveland Clinic
facial weakness Jan 2017

ChipsFL

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »
.. so is tiredness a normal AN 'sideaffect' .... i have constant tinnitus in my left, and have been very emotional since diagnosis but overall i'm just SOOOO tired!  All household chores seem to have gone out the window and i'm feeling lazy ... is this normal ?

In my opinion I would say yes; especially since CK 7 months ago. Lots of energy in the AM but quickly drains as the day goes and where I used to be up till after midnight, find many nights bed time is several hours earlier unless a short afternoon nap  ::) takes place.
4-2012,  CK, Wellington, Fl
11-2012, Followup MRI- "no Sig. change"
10-2015 Followup MRI- Tumer Shrunk In Size

skipg

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »
Ditto what Chips has stated. Learn to take a nap. My stubbornness keeps me up. Does not seem normal to be napping in the middle of the day. But when I do I feel much better. Trying to learn not to resist and lay down for a couple of hours.
Skip
Self diagnosed 11/17/2010 (love the internet)
MRI 12/2010 Official diagnosis 1/3/2011 RT AN 7x6x4mm's
MRI 6/17/2011 no change still 7X6X4
MRI 7/20/2012 growth spurt to 14mm
Aug 8th consult and decided on Proton Therapy
Proton Therapy @ Hampton Proton Institute,       done on 11/20/12

Sam-NewZealand

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 01:56:16 am »
thanks guys - nice to know i'm not solo here on my journey & its hard when the offers of 'let me know if i can help' become the thought of yes i'd love the floor mopped  :-\ yet can't bring myself to ask anyone.

i will try to add naps / rest times but yes its hard with kids and a big renovation happening - some days having an AN just all seems to hard
Left AN 2.7 x 2.6 x 2.4 cm - pressing on brainstem & sensory nerve for face, full/numb ear feeling, constant tinnitus & major hearing loss in Left ear

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 02:13:40 am »
I am 22+ years post op from the initial surgery and still tired! I still often have the need to nap and don't think that will change. I find if I dont' the vertigo and tinnitus gets worse and I start to feel faint. Just have to acept "the new you" and this may always remain a part of it.
Kathleen
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:32:49 am by Kathleen_Mc »
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

kiwi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 02:56:59 pm »
Hi Sam

I am in NZ too and had surgery with Hamish Sillars....excellent surgeon.  If you need to talk to someone with NZ experience PM me.

Jacqui
3.6cm AN Left side diagnosed Dec 09.
Translab surgery 16th March 2010
Left SSD, Facial Paralysis
CSF Leak surgery 11th May 2010

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 01:27:14 am »
Well for one point, you are standing upside down...only kidding. Trying to put a little fun back in your life. I think I got tied up in grip of "I have a brain tumor" and I let it run my life for a few weeks. After I met my docs, made some decisions, my attitude really changed, and my life returned to normal. This is not how the rest of your life is going to be. There is treatment, you will heal, and life will go on. Hug your babies for us!

cherrypiper

• Hope is what this is all about
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 09:33:30 pm »
yes i was tired a lot after surgery. but then again i wasn't a bundle of energy b4 it either. all the Dr's told me recovery would be months b4 anything like before surgery and they were right.

when i get tired now a days i still "list" to the non AN side as that gyroscope takes over since rt side is gone.

Sun shine makes me tired as i cant squint on left eye. even with sunglasses on. It's been 5 yrs post op now. and i dont really see a problem with energy that i wouldnt already have at the age of 61  lol ;D
10 mm x 2.4mm surgery date 12/03/07

glad to be here

Sam-NewZealand

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 11:37:54 pm »
ah so good to keep it real :) ... i've been feeling a bit better lately did some retail therapy and got into the spirit of Christmas.  Still feeling tired but notice it less and seems to be less when i'm not alone with the kids ... so putting my foot down as to the level of 'being around' support i need from hubby .... things can only get better surely :D 

Slab

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:45:25 am »
Well for one point, you are standing upside down...only kidding. Trying to put a little fun back in your life. I think I got tied up in grip of "I have a brain tumor" and I let it run my life for a few weeks. After I met my docs, made some decisions, my attitude really changed, and my life returned to normal. This is not how the rest of your life is going to be. There is treatment, you will heal, and life will go on. Hug your babies for us!

I second this. If you can get to the point of not worrying about what you can't control and focus on those that have worse issues than you do.... That made it easier for me.
10/30/2012 - MRI reveals 3.5 cm AN on left side 
conversation level hearing down to 20%, facial tingling/numbness around lips/nose, occasional loss of balance, and tinnitus
12/3/2012- 12 hr. Translab at Allegheny General in Pittsburgh, PA- Drs. Chen and Aziz, comp. tumor removal, facial nerve saved

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 12:25:40 pm »
Hi, Sam ~

I'm late to the thread but just wanted to add that fatigue is a noticeable symptom of an acoustic neuroma.  It can be intense post-surgery but does subside.  However, odds are that in time you'll probably have less energy than previously but, as you noted, we adjust.  Your relative youth should help in your recovery.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ewchisek

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:18 pm »
Hey Sam! I know your surgery is in three days. I'll be thinking and praying for you.

Elizabeth

Sam-NewZealand

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 10:50:39 pm »
Yes am on the way north , one night in hamilton then tomorrow 5pm i check in for surgery the next morning.  Doing well on track soon to be a postie! Xx