Author Topic: Disoriented in the grocery store and other crowded noisey places--UPDATE  (Read 9771 times)

wendysig

Re: Disoriented in the grocery store and other crowded noisey places--UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 10:29:51 pm »
Amy,

Did you go for vestibular rehabilitation?   I had this problem big time for a couple of months after my surgery and found PT a big help.  The exercise I think helped this  the most is described below:

The following are eye exercises -- you will need two highlighters or magic markers for some of them:

Hold  highlighters or markers at about shoulder height and width.  Turn your head left and right as fast as you find tolerable for three sets of two minutes each.

Hold one highlighter directly in front of your nose, almost touching it.  Hold the other an arm length away direcly in front of the one near your nose.  Focus on the highlighter closest to you -- if you're doing this right (I find this one very hard) the highlighter iin the background will appear as two highlighters or you will at least be able to see part of it on either side of the one closest to you.

Sit in a chair and lean over so that you are facing the floor and shake your head as fast as you can -- three sets for 1 1/2 minutes each.  This will probably make you very  dizzy at first but gets better.

Tape a business card to the wall  and sit in  a chair about 2 feet away.  Turn your head left and right, keeping the card in focus for three sets of 2 minutes.  Repeat this exercise looking  up and down, keeping the card in focus and epeat this exercise.

Write an uppercase letter on a 3" X 3" post-it note and stick it to the wall.  Sit in a chair about 8 feet away and follow the exercises shown above.

This exercise is meant to simulate movement in  crowds:

Take a sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 paper and either draw or print out 10 columns in different colors.  Hold the paper directly in front of your face (Just a couple of inches away) focus on one column and movethe paper rapidly back and forth for three sets of 30 seconds.  As this becomes more tolerable to look at, make the columns thinner and add more columns.

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!