Author Topic: Taste after Facial Paralysis  (Read 5220 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Taste after Facial Paralysis
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:51:06 pm »
Well, I always wondered why food hadn't tasted so good since paralysis.........AND why I cough like crazy when I clean the inside of my ear on the left side with a Q-tip. It triggers a horrible response.
An article that I just read had this information:
Facial nerve palsy occurs when there is damage to the seventh cranial (facial) nerve. It is a type of mononeuropathy. The seventh facial nerve is located in the skull. It controls movement of the muscles of the face. It also affects feeling in the ear canal and the sense of taste.
Angie

arkansasfarmgirl

Re: Taste after Facial Paralysis
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 10:24:31 am »
I had the cough and gag thing when I cleaned my left ear ever since I was a kid, but it's now gone.  My taste is a little off though.  I used to love Cocoa Crispies and Raisin Bran Crunch but now can't eat them because they taste too salty.  :-(

V

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 12:39:49 pm »
Well,  I just ate a Snickers with Almonds bar & I could taste it ! !   WHOO HOO for me !  Wasn't able to taste chocolate for almost 2 years post op - only the really really dark chocolate.
My taste is still poor when it comes to meat (which is a good thing, I guess).
I can taste vegetables & fruit.  But all tastes seem 'far away', lessened/diminished,  if you know what I mean ...
& I can't stand salty foods too - my mouth is dry enough with 1/2 my salivary glands working.
I don't add salt to my cooking or otherwise (except to lightly salt a pot of boiling water for pastas).

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:04:02 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:07:45 pm »
Angie ~

I lost almost all sense of taste in the months before my AN diagnosis.  I began eating less and less and lost over 30 (unwanted) pounds but was on the edge of being underweight.  Within 48 hours of my surgery, my taste returned. 

Now, 3 years out, my sense of taste seems sharper than ever.  Of course I'm delighted but this seems to be the opposite of what some AN patients experience.  Go figure.   ??? 

Oh, thanks to a life-long high basal metabolic rate, I've kept the all but a few of the lost 30 pounds, off.  My wife won't let me talk about it.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:18:58 pm »
Jim:  I had no problems with taste (or anything other than hearing loss & tinnitus) before surgery.
It is strange how some are affected with taste issues & others are not.
Well, then again, some are affected with headaches & others aren't, so there you go - I answered
my own question !
You are a lucky man to have a high metabolic rate !
When I exercise mine goes up like mad - hence the word 'when' ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Seal

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:33:17 am »
Hi Guys,

The taste thing is the only thing bugging me right now after the operation on Monday.    Thanks to my family and friends for all the prayers because I came out with little or no facial weakness.     The facial numbness has mostly subsided already by about 80%, and the balance issues are there.    Somehow though I already feel more stable and steady right now than I did before.    Each day is getting better.    So I"m just going to wait and hope that I get back a good portion of the taste.    In the summertime, my wife is a gournet cook, and I bring back some extraordinary fish, fresh from the sea.   The best meals in our house are served on Monday evening when the fridge is stocked from the weekend fishing.    So here is to hoping that it does come back.        If its connected to the facial nerve, then I should get most of it back.       Have fun in Worcester today!

Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:47:37 am »
So, Monday, the 4th of May, works for me.  Send directions, please!
I'd trade taste for facial, as my figure could use the calorie break and my face could use the smile, but you get what you get and are happy with it!
BRUNCH!!!!!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Patti

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 08:46:24 am »
i lost 24 lbs in the months following surgery.  i know some of it was because i couldn't eat food for 2 weeks and then had a hard time eating with out drooling or choking.  it took me a while to get back my eating habits.  even with half of my taste gone, i eat normal now and have gained all the weight back, much to my dissappointment.  i do lots of exercise and eat ok..  my weight dissappoints me, but i am alive.  patti

4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

lori67

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 09:55:38 am »
Steve,

Monday evenings, you say?   ;D

What time should I be there?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Seal

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 11:16:37 am »
Uh oh>...............  "yes dear, these are just a few new onlines friends that I made recently.    They were on the way home from a brunch and decided to stay over for some grilled mahi-manhi filets tonight with the lemon grass vinegerette"..................
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

lori67

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 12:51:46 pm »
Mmmm.... grilled mahi-mahi - my favorite!   ;D

Tell you what - I'll bring dessert!  And since I'm coming from Nashville, you'll have plenty of time to get that grill fired up!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 02:17:30 pm »
My taste is affected also, maybe because of the facial weakness, but more so from the trigeminal issues.  The right side of my tongue is numb and so therefore are my tastebuds.  The left side seems to be compensating just fine! But the ear canal thing is very interesting and explains a lot.  Until about 2 months ago it felt like I had a tube in my ear.  I asked the neurotologist about it and he assured me that there was nothing in my ear.  Now at least I know why it felt that way!  Thanks for sharing that.  This also means that some of the trigeminal issues are getting better and that is difficult to notice because it happens so slowly.  You've made my day!
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Tamara

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 03:44:46 pm »
my mouth is dry enough with 1/2 my salivary glands working.

Sorry for the hijack, but I seem to have the same issue.  I am wondering if there are any tricks you might know for dealing with this.  I find I need to rinse out my mouth frequently so it isn't so dry.  Not normally a problem, but is difficult when I try to exercise and am breathing through my mouth.

Best wishes,
Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:00:43 pm »
I don't really remember having taste issues, but Dave says I did - NOTHING really tasted good.  I just know that I lost about 50 pounds when I had surgery.  I was always a "big" girl so I was glad to lose it - just not exactly the way I did!!  I remember eating - just probably not a lot!!  I had surgery in Houston (we lived in Austin) & stayed there for several weeks.  I remember that his parents were REALLY into the whole fat-free stuff and that was when it was still pretty new - cheese didn't melt and all that.  Anyway, I just got really mad that all they had was all this fat-free stuff and here I had lost all this weight.  I think I blamed the taste on that a lot and it was really probably ME!!  ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

LADavid

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 04:55:29 pm »
This is a weird thing.  For about the first 3 or 4 months, I really had no taste -- except for Greek Dolmades. (????)  Then it gradually started coming back.  But over the past several months, I've noticed a lack of taste.  I'm realizing that I'm putting extra spice in foods just to taste them at all -- a lot of pepper and Tabasco sauce.  My favorite food, pizza isn't even doing the trick.  I do taste sweets -- but everything else is pretty bland. Shredded wheat is just plain ugly.  Hmmm, suddenly I'm craving a dill pickle.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments