Author Topic: Confused  (Read 8279 times)

Cheryl R

Re: Confused
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:18 am »
Samantha, you missed the Fri eve session there with the headache. The group noise is hard to take and I always end up with worse tinnitis.    That was really a good one as Jackie showed what should be done on some people depending on their time of paralysis.                This was the first year they have had the Fri eve session done this way and I hope it continues.             I do know someone else who went to another type of one learned nothing so we were lucky.                         I hope you keep doing well.      You are looking good.           It is no fun when we know there are still problems and not seen as much as early on.
      I was glad to get to meet you.                     Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

salamander

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 04:33:58 pm »
Yea, not to side track this into a hearing discussion, but the noise at Friday dinner was way over the tolerable level for my head (side track to headaches  ;)  I didn't know Jackie was going to talk or I would have stuck it out a bit longer.  Trying to laugh instead of cry, there is something a bit humorous about a room full of SSD people trying to talk to each other  ;)

It was a very informative symposium.  I'm glad I went.  Nice to meet you, too, Cheryl!

Samantha
2.9 cm right side AN;
Retrosigmoid/Sub-occipital surgery 11/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus), facial weakness, dry eye, eye weight, headaches.
Some movement of face at 7 months

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 04:00:41 pm »
Hey Samantha-

My hubby and I were sitting to your right at the Fri dinner - and you are right, it was so noisy that it was impossible to talk.  Sorry we did not get a chance to talk a bit.  We left right after you did - just too much noise and commotion. 

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Goldie

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »
My understanding from what Jackie said was that you need to wait until you see the crease from your nose to the corner of your mouth before starting therapy?  That would be a sign there is some nerve action starting.   ???

Denise

(And it was nice to meet you Cheryl.  I didn't make the connection when we met at the Midwest lunch table that you had already corresponded with me.)
GK 5/06 at Mayo for small AN after balance and slight hearing issues.  Progressive hearing loss following GK.
3/09 - facial spasms began.  MRI shows tumor growth.
9/09 - MRI shows further growth.  "GK failure."  Translab 10/1/09 success!  BAHA 10/8/10.

moe

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:10:30 pm »
I always tell patient to go for symmetry. For example, winking one eye, or trying to, is always bad because it usaully causes a lot of facial muscles on the winking side to contract together and cause distortion. The best way to relearn eye close is to look down and close with both eyes.
Todd,
Thank you for reminding me about closing of the eye. Dr. Rubenstein who did my 12/7 transposition was so excited to see some synkenesis when I squeezed my  left eye shut.  ???There was movement in my left upper lip (which is flaccid). So yes, there is some nerve/muscle connection going on ,though the wrong way. This is 18 months post 12/7 transposition, 3 years post AN surgery.

I'm discouraged with his plan.....come back in six months.

I do  have muscle movement in some areas of the face, but not around lip/cheek area. Kind of looks sunk in. He doesn't want to do any additional surgery at the moment, but I will look into plastic surgery  after the holidays if he still wants to "watch."

I'm confused about what kind of exercises to do. Docs don't say anything. I'm trying acupuncture in a week to see if that will help with movement, since there is nerve innervation now.
I've had some facial massage therapy also. No Neuro muscular facial training per se.

I'm military (tri care) so the options are more limited.

Any insight? ideas?
Thanks,
Maureen

06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty