Author Topic: Not really AN related...  (Read 2601 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Not really AN related...
« on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:04 am »
But still a great cause.  The American Cancer Society does the Relay for Lifes across the country to raise money to find cures for cancer and aid in cancer research.  I am a team leader at the National Weather Service Office that I work at.  We will have someone walking the track at all times between the hours of 1 PM Saturday and 6 AM Sunday!

I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to post this request here, but anyone is interested, my ACS page can be found at http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09FL?px=8179817&pg=personal&fr_id=13558

Please do NOT feel obligated to donate.  I just believe in their cause so wanted to share what I'm doing this weekend!  I've been walking 3 to 4 miles almost everyday since about a week after my surgery on March 5th.  I bet I walk at least 20 miles this weekend!

Thanks for listening,

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Keri

Re: Not really AN related...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
Good for you, Ernie and team weather service! I had a friend who did the 2 day Avon walkathon (39 miles) last weekend.
I hope you have great weather (not torrential rains like Patrick had) and that you all raise lots of money for a great cause!
Have fun walking those 20 miles!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

EJTampa

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:21:24 pm »
Hi Keri!

Thanks for the well wishes.  My sister passed away from a very nasty form of breast cancer before last years Relay.  She was going to come down and do the survivor lap.  I was very active in the Relay for Life before she was diagnosed, but even more passionate about it now.

We are very lucky in that our infliction is benign.  It's still scary to go through the whole journey, but our outcome is a whole lot better than those with a malignant cancer.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.

Keri

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:25 am »
Hi Ernie,
I am so sorry about your sister. That must be so difficult for you and your parents and other family. I do hope walking in the relay will be a special time as you are part of something that is both personal but also so encouraging to others as you all walk to raise money for such an important cause. Aw, this kind of thing makes me want to cry!

I also congratulate you for reaching your goal. Even though it will be an emotional experience, I hope it is fun as well as your participate with your team.

And take a long nap when you're done!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:57:50 am »
Ernie,

Still playing catch up on threads here... and saw this... and even though you are a Tampa Bay Rays fan *phoeey!*.... I honestly have to commend you and your team at the Nat'l Weather Office for doing this walk this weekend!  thank you SO much for doing this walk for so many afflicted by cancer.... and in honor of your sister. 

I know you all will do great! :)

Congrats!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

EJTampa

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
and even though you are a Tampa Bay Rays fan *phoeey!*....

You need to look at my avatar more closely Phyl!  My shirt says "Fenway Park"  I am NOT a Rays fan, but a BoSox fan!

Oh, and we went to the game last Saturday and had AWESOME seats in what they call the Whitney Bank Club.  All the food and beverage you can eat!  It was the one game the Red Sox managed to win out of the series!

I better add that Isabel is a Rays fan :).

Ernie

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:41:54 am »
Ernie -

definitely a wonderful cause.

Good luck this weekend  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 01:07:51 pm »
Helo gang!

We're back from the Relay for Life.  We got in around 6:30 this morning and went straight to bed :).  I walked 41 laps between noon yesterday and 6 AM this morning, for a total of about 10 miles.  The event raised over $88,000 for the American Cancer Society!

There are so many wonderful people who donate their time to organize the event and keep it running smoothly year after year.  I don't have the time to do that, but stand in awe of their dedication and resolve!

I've taken 2 ibuprofen now for my sore feet, but otherwise I'm feeling great!  I start midnight shifts tonight, which is ok, since I slept most of the day anyway :).

Ernie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 02:34:49 pm »
Ernie:

Congratulations for your mighty effort on behalf of the American Cancer Society.  I hope your feet recover quickly from your trek!  :)

As a post-op AN patient just past the 60-day mark, your recovery is outstanding.  As a member of your community, your dedication to a very worthy charity is laudable.  Good Job!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

texsooner

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 02:47:30 pm »
Ernie,

I second what Jim said. Great job to walk 10 miles even without having had brain surgery. Congratulations...you should be proud of your physical accomplishment, setting a great example for posties, and also for raising money for a great cause.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.