Author Topic: Michael B. Sisti, my Neuro surgeon to rescue..  (Read 6808 times)

rm516

• 'incremental improvements' everyday!
Michael B. Sisti, my Neuro surgeon to rescue..
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:21 pm »
I choose Michael Sisti , “New York Super Doctors” from New York Magazines (2013 &…) ,- Castle Connolly Medical Ltd, top doctors (2013 & …).Columbia University Medical Center Attending Physician of the Year Award…neuro surgeon, credentials don't lie, confidence in his surgical abilities was instant.
-Says good things about Hei and competition except his less aggressiveness style to save  quality of life for patients, refuses to do surgery under 2.5 cm tumor why? Truly, believes in quality of life!
What more proof does anybody needs, my hearing got saved (3.2 cm diameter) to preoperative levels (~60 %). Facial nerve no issues, Balance issues minimum (still positional), minimum discomfort (only two acetaminophen), downplayed on operating microscope by finding facial nerve posterior right after surgery (after 2006), tumor being soft hence peeled off fine, > 80% tumor destroyed while no hope of regrowth (will monitor 6 months, 2 years etc) in case of regrowth, Gama will take care. Overall, I am extremely grateful to Dr. Michael Sisti, for what he has done so for. No wonder, he gets corner office in Colombia, Ivy League Physician College. His bed manners, comforting relatives and residents alike is unbelievable. Imagine spending 45 minutes with family and friends after surgery, wow…….
Now, hospital need some improvements, no neuro ICU available for recovering patients (those in good standing), nurses don't respond right away, No water available (unannounced between 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM, one day), food fresh but choices provided later, released from hospital a day earlier, Thanks god! Best part, guest accommodation's available on 9Th floor for outstation guests, old parents etc at $250 per day on first come first serve basis run by Milstein hotels.
I am 5 days after retrosigmoid, 6 hrs surgical intervention , I had my share of 4 threw ups post recovery, Thursday, I go for staples removal then life back to normal, I wish similar outcomes to all potential patients. Hey thanks for pre warning on cathedral farts, (sorry, no other words), hiccups’, soreness on opposite side, fast walking, steroids illusions, less energy, positional nauseating etc. Very helpful.
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

TexasSprinter

Re: Michael B. Sisti, my Neuro surgeon to rescue..
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 10:13:20 pm »
Glad to hear about your positive outcome. 

rm516

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:24 pm »
 I am preoperative 9 days (recovering) after surgery:
Staples got removed today. Dr said my balance is back to >65% and  by end of next weekend, I am allowed to drive. If I have to lay done (because of fatigue is all of sudden) so be it. Listen to your body....
- Regarding blood sugar recommended against any medication because he will rather have it in 400's rather in 40 - told me not even to check .
- Steroids have worked for so long (except for side effects) only proven medication available in these circumstances.
- Don't be surprised at any new onset of temp. facial problems because nerve is exposed and have to fall back in newly cavity created.
- Concerned about my 4th ventricle involvement and hydrocephalus- on precautionary basis he gave me some more steroids (if necessary - a shunt in future )  because my body may experience steroid withdrawal symptoms after 2 days of stopping it.
- Regarding agitation/anger management etc "he said its temporary " because now-on-wards it will be less pronounced because I started  0.5mg today and instead of 4 dosages a day he decreased to 3 (eliminating night) every 8 hrs.
- Gamma in future,( only 1 out of 5 needs it) - if required, he will gray 2-4 near audio but full strength 12 gray near facial (if necessary)
- Surgery report (with details of posterior facial nerve and hardly touched hearing mechanism, tumor being soft etc) + neuro pathology report confirming Schwannoma ,WHO 1 grade was provided.
Whatever happens but I am proud of my selection of Neurosurgeon (Dr. M. Sisti) and a true believer in "quality of life". Too grateful.........
Diagnosed AN in 2008,  3.2 cm CPA round, retrosigmoid surgery performed by Dr. M. Sisti, Columbia Pres.Hospital  NY, in Jan 2013, After surgery no major issues, Hearing retained (>50% ). However, 2 YRs post surgery MRI shows a further decrease in the size of residual AN! No GK or any therapy needed.

rm516

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 12:43:25 pm »
I could not resist to share this blog, found on American Brain Tumor, no fluff, the way it is.
Looks like they are talking about me, particularly the side effects of steroids:
"Steroids may be prescribed to reduce edema.
Unfortunately, steroids can cause their
own set of problems (difficulty sleeping,
sweating, over eating, agitation)."

http://blog.braintumor.org/files/public-docs/Managing%20Common%20Side%20Effects_Chapter%204.pdf

PS: This article may have been shared before but It will be very helpful for newbies (like me) who recently had treatment.

Mei Mei

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 01:47:19 pm »
You were very fortunate to find someone believing in the patient's quality of life.  It's such a gamble choosing a course and whose opinion to trust as the best   Keep up your recovery and I am happy for you.
Best,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

rm516

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 07:46:53 pm »
Had follow up visit today ( I drove to Dr. Sisti's office with my wife during this tale end of snow/icy storm today in NYC).
 1. Dr. made me walk in corridor - complemented by saying "show off" to me. (No balance issues)
 2. Pressed my head with his "magic hands" and declared "No signs of hydrocephalus". BTW I stopped usage of steroids 5 days ago.
 3. Told me to start getting "on to the daily routine" (including light exercises) and in 1 week I will be as good as prior to surgery.
 4. Said again the location of my tumor (hence no hearing loss) and finding “facial nerve" on posterior position of tumor hence no damage, this led to my rapid recovery after surgery.
 5. He said, last week he removed almost 5 cm AN tumor on a patient and patient left hospital on 3rd day to avoid on-coming snowstorm. (Wow!)
 6. Reminded me again that not to change my sudden positions (e.g. from bed to a standing position - rather first sit on the edge of bed etc)
I showed my appreciation by letting him know my sincere feelings on a "thank you card" and a very small token gift. Truly grateful…
He mentioned again that I had rarest of Acoustic Neuroma (which by itself is rare) and also enjoyed talking technical details to my upcoming physician children’s (residents) in my family.   
I see him back in 1 month then a dreaded follow-up MRI in 5 months.

Smedina

• I amaze myself...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »
Congrats on a great outcome-- and navigating this crazy winter weather! (I'm in NNJ)

Dx 10/20/2011- 4.5cm
Retrosigmoid- Weill Cornell- 11/15/2011- hypervascular tumor
Translab- 11/30/2011
Multiple complications- CSF leak, DVT, cerebellar injury
Facial paralysis- 12-7 Nerve transfer 3/12
SSD—BAHA- 2/14
Ongoing reconstruction & rehab

rm516

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »
Had followup visit with Dr. Sisti and got full clearance for all prep activities. Really happy with the outcome.
I have to share another recent medical issue with me that may be related to steroids use during AN surgery recovery.
I had to be admitted to a local hospital for 3-4 days (via ER) for diverticulitis. Regimes of IV fluids, liquid diet, antibiotics, bed rest etc. were followed religiously. I still have to continue antibiotics for another week.
Local Doctor thinks my immune system could have been compromised during recovery period thus leading to this episode. BTW, Dr. Sisti suggested that regular exercises and plenty of fluids will help  both conditions. He was glad that I didn't require any VP shunt during AN surgery (due to my ventricles involvement) otherwise it could have brought on Meningitis.
Just curious, did any other AN post-surgery member also had another similar unrelated medical issue during recovery.