Author Topic: Symposium 2009 Pictures  (Read 81098 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Symposium 2009 Pictures
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2009, 11:06:27 pm »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:46:41 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2009, 11:09:12 pm »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:42:16 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2009, 11:12:52 pm »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2009, 11:16:49 pm »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2009, 11:29:20 pm »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2009, 11:39:06 pm »

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2009, 12:06:47 am »
Jackie Diels (The neuromuscular Facial Retraining/Re-education GURU, of U of Wisconsin,  who connected me with my facial therapist Wanda Crook of CA) & DHM together as they meet in person  finally for the first time.

I am going to cherish this photo for years to come  :)

Thanks for all that you do Jackie!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2009, 12:13:07 am »
Michael Gate Gill just does not know how famous and well published the famous Captain Deb he is posing with- is. ;) ;D

I have more photos of "Mike"... I will start a separate thread (with those photos) after this one- in the morning. Thanks Mike for coming to speak  and have brunch with us. In 2 years I hope you will come to the 20th symposium as one of us.

DHM

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2009, 12:28:59 am »
Two latte fans
DHM & "Mike" (Michael Gates Gill, author of How Starbucks Saved my Life- a fabulously humorous sensitive book not so much about brain tumors... or even so much Starbucks-  for that matter but... hmmm...more so about insightful new beginnings and egalitarianism)

It was an absolute pleasure to meet you Mike.  :) "Keep moving forward!".
Cheers,

DHM

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2009, 01:09:21 am »
Ok this last week I:

•   Went to Chicago all by myself  ;D (fortunately Steve had the same flight back as me) and met amazing people
•   Spent a week learning how to use my MAC Book I-photo software for the 1st time
•   Spent way too much time chatting on the forum (I love you guys!  :-*)
•   Hosted a sleep over of teenage girls ::)
•   Took a van of kids to the beach not once but twice  ::) (2 hour drive each return trip)
•   And today I spent the whole day out with the family celebrating my 2 year anniversary post op... to which they topped off with a home baked
   cake.
•   Did I mention I mastered photo-bucket  ;D  (Thanks Deb & Steve  ;) )

Why am I bragging ... well...

To think 2 years ago:
* I woke up with facial palsy,
* Went temporally blind with Natsgamus, in one eye, from brain swelling
* Had CSF leaks, was in a wheel chair
* was medicated to the nine  ::)... could not poop  :-\…

Now I am medication free, riding bikes and keeping up with my kids (sort of- now one is taller than me)

KEEP MOVING FORWARD!!

I am pooped...  and I am hosting tomorrow a family at our farmhouse (which is currently VERY messy) . I will try to get the last of the Chicago trip photos out tomorrow... but time and energy pending and will not make a promise I might not be able to keep.

It is midnight PST- and my family van is going to turn into a pumpkin... and I into a mouse (oh I forgot never mention MOUSE around Pearly Whites  ;D  ;) Shhhh)

You folks are sooh awesome. Wuv ya-all!  :-*

HUGS and nighty night... don't let the bed bugs bite... (now Phyl is totally freaking out  ;) :D :-* )

DHM

« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:16:31 am by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00:50 am »
Isn't it amazing to see how far you've come ? ! !   I never thought I'd be at the place I'm at now either  - the nightmare is over ! !
You feel like you'll never see the light,  but there it is !
& you're right,  I too wouldn't have gotten this far if it wasn't for the constant support from our AN family !
Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jerseygirl

« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2009, 08:14:37 am »
Gosh, DHM, teenage girl sleepover alone would make me so tired, not to mention all the other things you did! It is wonderful that you have come this far. Way to go! Just think what you will be able to do next year at this time. Start planning!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2009, 08:54:37 am »
DHM -

I'm so glad you got the pictures to work - they all look fabulous!

You've come such a long way in your AN Journey and we're all so extremely proud of you  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2009, 09:45:14 am »
I see someone has been having fun with iPhoto. Aren't Macs wonderful? I've been using one for nearly 20 years. Two years ago during my son's Civil War Day, I took pictures of each student in period garb, and then converted them to sepia tone. They turned out just fabulous. Also check out a shareware program called Graphic Converter for even more fun. I'll look up the site for you.

Also, I beg to differ that you were bragging. It looked more like a progress report to me, and we really need to put that kind of information up here so that people just out of surgery or about to go into it and scared to death can see that things do get better. I've seen a huge improvement over the last year and hope for a huge improvement this coming year too.

You also look very nice in your pictures. I know it is harder for you to see because you know what you looked like before surgery and I do not. I especially like your picture with Steve in the top post at the top of this page.

Sara

Edited to add: Oops, the picture of DHM and Steve is on the previous page . . . somewhere around the middle.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 01:13:45 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

sgerrard

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2009, 11:06:18 am »
I think I like the picture of DHM and Virginia Ehr the best, not for the photography, but for what it says about the past and future of the ANA, as it approaches its 30th anniversary at the next symposium in Cincinnati. Passing the torch and moving forward.

DHM looks great in all the pics, with Deb and Jackie and Mike as well as me. One good indication of the progress is that 2 years ago DHM was not up to posting pictures of herself, and now she is posting a bunch of them. I first met her in person in late 2007, and her progress since then has been wonderful. I'm sure she is still fussing about this and that bit of asymmetry, but her face is animated and expressive now. As her description of one week indicates, she is living life to the fullest. She's back.  :)

DHM, have a great year #3. See you in September!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.