Author Topic: That pesky chin dimple  (Read 2841 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
That pesky chin dimple
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:03:28 am »
So, 5.5 years out with relatively decent facial recovery but it seems like lately my chin dimple has grown into a crater.

Has anyone discovered or been taught a technique to lessen that or is Botox the only solution?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

elsie

Re: That pesky chin dimple
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51:21 pm »
BOTOX!  I 've had three injections, first one in 1989, next about five years ago, just had my third the day after xmas.  my last botox doc, referred by dr. wiet, said that with continued injections, the dimple, my gorgeous neck threads and other unfortunate areas will smooth out permanently, which was news to me.  i went back for my 2 injenction when my check muscles were getting hard, pulled and sore from bunching.  that injection has so far relieved those muscles (i am having difficulty describing those symptoms, but they are gone now.)

as botox only lasts about three months, initially, you have the option of experimenting.  when i get my next round, for example, i want to stay farther away from my mouth as it feels too numb in that area.  first time i have  had this side effect and it already is better.  i would love something permanent, but the fear of some unknown, everlasting oooops stops me from exploring that...and my face is not so "off" that i would risk something. 

insurance usually pays for the botox.
Very large AN removed Aug., 1988 - pushed cerebellum aside, touching brain stem
Dr. Wiet in Hinsdale did 12 hour surgery, got it all
Total right-side facial paralysis for 6 months, 50 - 75% return
Extreme dry eye and tinnitus in both ears
Lost all hearing in AN ear
1/8/14  AN Regrowth confirmed

Kristena

Re: That pesky chin dimple
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:48 pm »
Are you familiar with "the wheel"? My therapist said to grab my lower lip from both inside and out, and "stretch it slowly like I'm going to pull it over my head." Of course you don't really pull it too tight, but upward as far as you comfortably can like you're moving through your lower lip.

Now that didn't work for me, and I did get Botox which worked immediately, but give it a try. 3-5x twice a day for a few days ought to let you know if it's going to have any impact.
2.7 cm meningioma in CPA and IAC
Retrosig June 2013 resulted in Facial paralysis and SSD
6-mo post-op MRI showed 1.0 cm remains in IAC
3-yr MRI still shows no new growth!
6/2014 Baha magnet implanted; 8/2014 magnet removed due to poor healing; 9/2014 abutment installed. Hearing fine!