Author Topic: earfull  (Read 3457 times)

stevecms

earfull
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:14:44 pm »
my an ear feels plugged 24/7 will it ever go away.
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

Palace

• Palace
Re: earfull
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 01:26:13 pm »
Hi Steve in the UK,

Yes, that will go away when the swelling subsides.  Hang in there.  That fullness made me want to give up along with other horrible symptoms I suffered and much pain.  I assure you, it will pass and if not, you'll need to talk with the doctors.  I didn't even take my steriod pill to reduce swelling after CK.  I had a bad reaction to steroids and ended in ER all night once.

Regards and welcome,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

stevecms

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 01:57:32 pm »
 :thanks palace for your kind thoughts  :)
4 cm acc neuroma 99.9% removed queen elizabeth hospital 6 sept 09 by dr walsh.thought it was trigeminal neuralga,lots of facial pain for 18mths,now deaf on rh side little taste and ear pressure.13 hour surgery.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:01:38 pm »
Hi Steve

I cannot answer from a surgical standpoint where you just had your procedure (6 months or less). I've heard some note use of an decongestant medication (much like used for colds/allergies) to help "unplug" ear fullness but mostly on radiation patients. From a surgical standpoint, would be curious to see what the surgeon/dr's have told you.

I would also note to read the "hearing issues" forum here.  If you do a "search" option for "ear fullness"... I know there will be much to be noted, esp by surgical patients.

Please hang in there... feel better.. and "Happy Crimbo" as my bloke says.... enjoy the holidays!

Cheers!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

stevecms

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:10:29 pm »
thanks phyl,seeing surgeon next monday bit scared,will let u know what he says.ps merry xmas from me & tracey + 5 cats. :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »
Steve -

I'm interested in hearing your doctor's take on this issue also.  I thought swelling was just for patients who chose radiation  ???  Or am I being naive here?

I had a feeling of fullness in my AN ear prior to my surgery, but post op that feeling was completely gone and never did return.

I hope your "earful" goes away soon.

Please keep us updated.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:47:31 am »
It has been 5 months since my surgery and I still have fullness both my surgeons did not have an answer as to why ?? Then 3 months after surgery I developed tinnitus and was advised by the neurosurgeon probably from the scar tissue ?? still wish I had a specific answer.  I hope yours will subside most people I hear that it does, I am still waiting.

Regards,

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:29:23 am »
I feel for you Steve.  Hope it goes away soon for you.  I honestly can't remember how long mine lasted (I'm guessing a couple of months ??), but I remember hoping so hard that it *would* go away.  It felt like forever.  Mine finally did, I hope yours does too.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

FlyersFan68

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 02:03:05 pm »
Mine went away too. It was awful pre-surgery. The first year is the hardest because there's a lot of healing taking place especially the first few months. One in a while during the first year it felt like something was moving inside my ear. It kind of tickled. I'm sure it was the fluid and scar tissue. Everything has completely resolved for me. Well Wishes.

windy

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:17:34 am »
I am glad to hear some have had fullness that went away.  I seem to keep fullness in my ear and it only goes away with steroids.  I thought it may never go away, but realize there may be hope.  It is good to hear that others have had similar issues with resolve.  I hope your fullness resolves!!
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

ombrerose4

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:34:39 am »
I also have that fullness feeling in my ear, but its not constant. It's strange because when its there I can only explain it as being more deaf than I already am. Right now I am also battling a post flu sinus infection which is giving me ear fullness on both sides. Ah, the fun never ends. Happy Holidays everyone, wishing all of us a healthier 2010. :)
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010