Author Topic: yearly MRI's  (Read 2727 times)

Lainie181818

yearly MRI's
« on: June 12, 2008, 10:06:59 am »
I am 2 years post op and after my 1 year MRI i was told that I did not need to come back for 2 tears. I am starting to feel uneasy about this, was anyone else told this. I did call the clinic and was told that if the Dr does not see anything after 1 year he likes to give his patients more time to not worry about it, and longer peace of mind. This is starting to have a reverse affect on me.
What do you think?

Lainie

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 10:02:34 pm by sgerrard »

GRACE1

Re: yearly MRI's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:21:05 am »
I had GK, not surgery, so I don't know if this will make you feel better.  When I had my 6-month MRI post GK, everything looked  do great my radiation oncologist told me I did not have to come back for 2 yrs for an MRI.  It was great news at first, but then I started wondering.  A lady I met at a support group meeting had MRIs at 3, 6 & 12 months post GK.  I have all the confidence in my doctor, so I am now content with his schedule.  Even better, since I was born with only 1 kidney, I don't have to be exposed to the contrast as many times as my friend.  Not to mention being closed up in that MRI tube.  I guess it all boils down to how much you trust you doctor.  Good luck!!!
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:27:13 am »
Lainie -

I am slightly over 1 year post op and I just had my 1st annual MRI in mid-April.  Although the results were perfect - no regrowth noted - my doc said to repeat the MRI in 1 year.  I believe he says an annual MRI for the first 5 years (unless there is regrowth) and then not as frequently after that.

I know that all doctors are different and therefore may recommend different things, but if you are uncomfortable waiting 2 years until your next MRI, I would call your doctor and tell him you want one every year.  All patients are different and have different needs.  If you need the comfort of a yearly MRI, I am confident your doctor will honor your request and not object to it.

Communication between doctors and patients is vital in any situation; so is peace of mind.  I say call your doctor.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 01:17:57 pm »
Lainie:

As Jan and Grace have stated, every doctor follows a slightly different protocol for follow-up MRI scans.  Obviously, your doctor thinks he's doing you a favor by spreading out your MRI's to 24 month intervals when, as you stated, this is having the opposite effect.  Why fret?  Contact your doctor directly (don't expect his secretary to do this) and explain that, for now, anyway, you would feel much better - psychologically - having an annual MRI scan.  He may not agree but, unless your AN begins growing, this doesn't require very much from him (he'll probably just read the radiologist's report).  I believe its very likely that he'll agree to order the annual MRI for you.  This will give you that sometimes elusive peace of mind you're seeking and the doctor can make another fee for his time spent on your case.  Everyone is happy!  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:27:35 pm »
I also had retrosigmoid.  I was told yearly MRI's.  I was also told not to "pop the cork on the champagne bottle" for 7 years--in case of recurrance.  The other surgeon said 5 years.  They both said it was a very low chance, but still.  Make the call and let us know what he says.
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 02:50:21 pm »
Hi Lainie-

Well, first of all, congrats on the good MRI! 

So, in my opinion (and that's all it is) I'd ask to be scanned every year.  In fact, that is what I plan to do.  Peace of mind is worth SO much.

My mom had successful surgery for lung cancer about 12 years ago - her follow up for the first 5 years was frequent and diligent.  After she reached the 5 year point, the doc said that she was officially cancer free and that she no longer needed annual exrays.  However, she still gets them - and her doctor was very understanding when she told him that she needed the peace of mind. 

So, my two cents worth is to speak up and tell the docs that you need to be able to sleep at night - and waiting two years between scans isn't going to help you out in that regard.

Let us know what happens, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com