Author Topic: Begining Of 4th Week Recovery & Post- Op Doctor Visit  (Read 2427 times)

ghenier27

Begining Of 4th Week Recovery & Post- Op Doctor Visit
« on: November 17, 2009, 09:10:51 pm »
 :D
I had the biggest surprised today in the doctors office, Dr. Lewis walks in and saids "Well how many times have you lifted your daughter" I was shocked and justed laughed. I said "None, I was too scared until I got the ok from you!'  He told me that the MRI showed no signs of the tumor and we would do follow MRI every year for the next 5 years. After that we would do one every other year. He was very happy about my process and told me that the dry mouth ( one side) and not making tears in the left eye. Those things may still come back, afterall it has only been 4 weeks since the surgery. So I just couldn't wait to drive home and get my daughter, pick her up and put her into the van and take her somewhere. She was so excited. She has been a trooper but honestly this was wearing her down. For those of you who don't know, my daughter was born with a spina cord defect and soley depends on me. In the last 5 weeks, she only got out the house 2 days per week. When she was used to going somewhere with me just about everyday. And I have to say that even I missed it. Well, I picked up all 125 pounds of her- about 7 different times since this afternoon. I decided to take her out to dinner and celebrate the good news.

I would also like to mention, that I met a woman whos tumor grew back 6 years after the first surgery. She explained it as being a rare thing. BUT if the doctor misses a cell from the tumor or a small piece of the root. It will grow back. Hers actually grew back larger than the first one. That really gave me something to think about.

Also asked about my anxiety and panic disorders. I told him that they were gone and I guess he thought this was something that started before the surgery. He started to say that it was quite common for people to be nervous before a surgery. I told him that I had had this since 2002-2003 and was treated by 6 years of therpy and 4-5 years of meds. But it is gone. He said it could have been the tumor BUT he wouldn't recommend me telling people this because they would expect the same results. I told him that I felt truly blessed and I couldn't thank him enough.

Today has been a very good day, Debi
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:15:43 pm by ghenier27 »

gingerbread6

Re: Begining Of 4th Week Recovery & Post- Op Doctor Visit
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:15:25 pm »
Hi Debi,

I'm so glad that you are doing so well. That's great that you got to pick up your daughter! She must have been so happy to have her mother holding her again. That's so wonderful. Keep healing and getting stronger. God Bless.

Gingerbread6

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 10:10:17 pm »
I met a woman whose tumor grew back 6 years after the first surgery. She explained it as being a rare thing. BUT if the doctor misses a cell from the tumor or a small piece of the root. It will grow back. Hers actually grew back larger than the first one. That really gave me something to think about.

Regrowth post op does happen - but as you say, it's rare - only 1 to 2%.

Glad things are going well - it must feel great to be able to pick your daughter up again.  I'm sure she's thrilled, too  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:22:16 pm »
Great news, Debi!
If there is anyone I would wish a super rapid recovery, it would be you! To be able to lift your daughter and take her places. What a blessing.
Please do be careful. The fatigue may increase the more you try to do. Do you have a hoyer lift for your daughter?
And the anxiety -poof- gone- and away. Wow! That will make life so much happier for you.
Let us know how things continue to go for you!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

wendysig

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:48:10 am »
Hi Debi

What wonderful news!  It sounds like life is really gettinhg back to normal for you, only even better now that you're not dealing with the anxiety/panic disorder.  It makes me wonder if, without you knowing about your AN,  your body has been reallyy stressed out from working overtime to deal with whatever syptoms your AN caused and now that it's gone, so is the anxiety/panic.  Stranger things have happened.  Whatever the reasons are, I'm glad you're so much better!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!