Author Topic: A place to vent  (Read 81714 times)

TP

Re: A place to vent
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2007, 07:50:26 pm »
I went from seeing a pain Dr to neurosurgeon and scheduling my AN to be removed in a matter of a few weeks. I was blessed, I really liked my Dr's but what I don't think they are trained to do very well is treat the side affects/disabilities that come with a brain tumor. Once my tumor was removed it was up to me to speak up about what was bothering me. I thought I was going to have double vision for ever and finally the eye Dr said, eventually we can correct this but that was about it. Also, they never mentioned to me that exercise would help me get better, I did that on my own and my recovery improved dramatically.

Bottom line, this website is awesome. I hope there are Dr's who read this and learn from all the information that is shared and provided. 
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2007, 09:24:33 am »
I need to vent, dang it!  >:(

*tries to think of things to note for proper venting... um.... husband finally arrived from the UK... won the long battle with US Immigration..... dog and spouse finally enjoying Father/daughter time..... balance in checkbook could be better but still able to pay bills.... car is working ok... spouse landed job in 1-1/2 wks post-arrival to the states... um...head booger is dying.... Chiari 1 stable.... hearing stable... had great "Best Coast" brunch this past weekend..... oy....um... crap*

Nothing to vent for today... carry on! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2007, 09:01:29 am »
Phyl,

I like your "vent".  I'm glad things are going so well for you, Beanie and Ian.
Huggles,
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Dealy

« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2007, 09:21:40 am »
This is not really a vent-but for me a manner of coping with all my frustrations especially the lack of hearing. I have turned to reading alot now because of the hearing issue. Probably better anyway because I was a TV Couch Potato before. I just finished a book called The Hiding Place by Coorie Ten Boom. She was a Dutch woman who hid people with her family during WW2 and was caught and sent to a concentration camp where eventually her sister Betsie died.She talks alot about forgiveness and dealing with hurt. I must admit some days I am full of bitterness that this happened in my stage ofl life when everything was going so well. How we take life and it's consequences for granted.I was so impressed with her outlook on life and the entire Ten Boom family regardless of what was dealt too them-good or bad. I would highly reccomend this book to any one on this forum who enjoys reading and even if you don"t-hey-you might begin to look at things different. I know it made me appreciate what I do have-even if I ending up gping totally deaf. So this is not really a vent-just putting things into perspective. Excellent Book-Read It. Thanks Ron.P.S. I will not spoil the plot of the book any further by revealing the contents. I guarantee-anyone who desires too read this book will not put it down.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2007, 09:55:39 am »
Anyone who thinks these ANs benign,
Has gotta be outta their mind!
Your doc says "Be glad it's not cancer,
but for you, well, I just got no answer!"

I like the idea of a reverse AN conference--where we sit up there on the dais like the gods and goddesses we are and answer their questions!

Actually the ANA will be posting an online survey about "life after AN treatment" on the website in an attempt to gather information on quality of life issues and do some actual published research on the subject, not much of whci has been done in the US.

Brendalu--I did my time in the pokey for 4 days in May of 71 in DC along with 18,000 other "kids". Capt Deb in the brig for something other than drunk and disorderly. Imagine!

Be Well and Sail On,

Capt Deb 8)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2007, 11:58:07 am »
Ahhhhhhhhhh, Capt Deb we have a lot more than AN's and headaches in common.
A reverse AN conference sounds like the real meal deal!  I am anxious to see the survey!
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2007, 12:15:32 pm »
I'm surre we'll all get a head's (in your case a redhead's up) up when the PTB (powers that be) finally post it on the website. 

Capt Deb 8)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2007, 12:30:58 pm »
Dealy:  thanks for the book suggestion.  I love reading & am always looking for books.  I recently started one - but when I get to the bookstore I'll pick up The Hiding Place.   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #203 on: August 08, 2007, 01:29:56 pm »
Nancyann--If you want to have a real laugh--pick up ANYTHING by Carl Hiiasen. Tourist Season is good as is Stormy Weather and Skinny Dip.  He writes about Florida and it's history and wacky inhabitants. I had a laughing fit on the plane once.

Capt Deb 8)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #204 on: August 08, 2007, 03:09:56 pm »
Hey Capt:  I read them - they were hysterical, especially Stormy Weather !!!  My mom read me Skinny Dip while I was recuperating immediately post op & couldn't read too well.     I love the way he pokes fun at the politics in Florida too - unfortunately he's 'right on' - alot of it IS based on reality. (Lord,I miss New York...)
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #205 on: August 08, 2007, 03:21:06 pm »
Your MOM read you Hiiasen? :o Too funny. He is the world's best cusser! Creative cussing is my favorite.  I love Jon Stewart and the Daily Show on Comedy Central.

Capt Deb 8)

Static

« Reply #206 on: August 08, 2007, 04:03:30 pm »
Maybe I should look for those books too.  I do alot of reading while waiting at doctor appts.  Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert are two of my favorite shows.  Comedy central is my fav channel.  Its my default on the remote  ;D.

~Karen
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 07:54:59 pm by Static »
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Betsy

« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2007, 04:24:00 pm »
Hiaasen is a hoot!  I bought a "grab bag" of recorded books on e-bay awhile back and Skinny Dip was the best of the bunch.  As it turns out, recorded books are just the thing for those dizzy-days when I can't seem to focus on the printed word.  Some authors "read" better than others, and so far everything by Hiaasen has been a delight to listen to!
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #208 on: August 08, 2007, 05:13:48 pm »
Oh, audiobooks are the best these days!!!!!  It's how I get through work when the ambient noise is too much to take.   I'll admit I'm a huge geek and have all the Harry Potter ones on audiobooks, and they help me keep my sanity!!!!  Very relaxing!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #209 on: August 08, 2007, 06:14:42 pm »
I took my mom to see the movie 'Sideways' - the guy gulping down the spitoon full of 'used wine' didn't bother her, what DID bother her was  during the last sex scene she turns to me & says, "Do they HAVE to show CHUBBY people having sex?"  (mom is 81, 5'1" & 105 lbs of energy!).  I almost had an accident laughing so hard !! (so Hiassen is mild stuff for her!)
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis