Author Topic: NEW BONE CONDUCTING PRODUCT  (Read 7322 times)

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
NEW BONE CONDUCTING PRODUCT
« on: December 03, 2011, 01:46:26 pm »
Hi All,
  A Friend who works with hearing impaired children in So Cal just sent me this link
http://sophono.com/products     or www.sophono.com

This company is making a surgically implanted bone conductor like BAHA except it does not require the abutment.  The processor is held on with magnets.
  This sounds pretty promising.  no infected skin around the abutment, or brushing maintenance, etc. They make a small incision, implant it  with a magnet.  After it heals, your ready to go.
   I tried TransEar which didn't work for me, but have my f/u MRI in 2 weeks. I'm going to ask about this.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: NEW BONE CONDUCTING PRODUCT
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
Patti .....

I'm not sure, but I think someone posted about this not too long ago ..... and although it sounds extremely hopeful for some people, I don't think those of us needing future MRIs would be able to use it.  I doubt the magnets under the skin would be compatible with the magnets in the MRI machine.  But ...... maybe someone has already thought of this and figured it out.  Let us know if anyone has.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 02:00:05 pm »
Good Point Calrice.  I'll ask about it when I go for my MRI
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:54 pm »
Good Point Calrice.  I'll ask about it when I go for my MRI

I agree with Calrice, you cannot have MRI done with a magnet in your head.  I saw the safety video for MRI and healthcare worker. You be surprise what a magnet can do and how strong it is.   I work in the healthcare and I cannot go into the MRI room because I have a magnet in my head for 25 years.  I had a similar hearing device to Sophono called Xomed Audiant.  Once the magnet is in your head, it cannot be taken out for MRI scan. 
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

opp2

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 05:33:26 pm »
I would think the magnet would not be the implant, but on the processor. The implant would be the point of contact for the magnet.

I think.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

opp2

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 05:44:28 pm »
I sent them an email. Let's see what they say. Our own Adrienne will be able to knock on the door of the factory soon.
Diagn Apr 14 2009 with 2.5 cm lt AN. - numbness in the face and sudden onset headaches accompanied by balance issues. Consults with Drs in S Ontario, California (House) and Vancouver. Picked Dr. Akagami in BC.
Retrosigmoid July 6, 2010, 3.0cm by then. SSD left, no other significant side effects.

opp2

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 09:05:16 pm »
Hello,

Thank-you for your interest in the Sophono Alpha 1 Abutment Free Bone Conduction hearing device.

Unfortunately, the Alpha 1 is contraindicated for MRI’s at this time. I would recommend discussing the product with your doctor  if in the future your need for routine MRI’s was not necessary.

Thank-you again for your interest.

Alex Goncarovs

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 01:55:15 pm »
See?  What did I tell you? It's not the implant but it's the magnet screwed in the head is the problem.  Like I said, I cannot go into the MRI room until you wanna pry me off the big stainless steel donut. ;)
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

opp2

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:42:43 pm »
Do you think you'd stick with a thunk or a clink???  ;D

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »
Sounds similar to a CI (Cochlear Implant).

CI's use internal magnets.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 10:02:30 pm »
I too got the same input from Sophono.  Too bad.  Would have been nice to get a BAHA without the abutment.

pattitut

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 05:25:35 pm »
Being a BAHA wearer, I can honestly say that having the abutment isn't a big deal.

It becomes second nature; you don't think about it being there on a day to day basis.

Truthfully I haven't given my abutment much thought at all since I first had my implant and the site was healing.

I had a very small infection a month or so ago, which focused my attention there for a few days, but other than that having a titanium rod sunk into my skull isn't something I even think about; it's just a part of me.  And I'd venture to say that most BAHA wearers feel the same way.

BAHAs aren't for everyone, but almost everyone who has one loves it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:22:23 pm »
More info:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/1/prweb9126542.htm

Sent this link to my neurotologist who confirmed that this is the Sophono.  He also said "Do not worry, the sound performance of this device will not match your, direct bone conduction implant..."

Jan
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:24:27 am by leapyrtwins »