Author Topic: Starting the Transear process  (Read 6911 times)

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Starting the Transear process
« on: November 26, 2007, 07:16:53 pm »
So I have an appt on Friday with the Hearing Aid clinic at Mass Eye and Ear.  As of August, they hadn't done any Transear fittings yet.  (The only people in my area who have are almost 2 hours away, so I'm going to try these folks knowing they have lots of other experience.)  Any tips for that first appt when I'm educating them about Transear as much as anything else?  I'm trying to evaluate how good a candidate I am for the device.

Thanks!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Boppie

Re: Starting the Transear process
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 09:10:26 pm »
Katie, as long as you have good bone/skull conduction at the hearing test you will be a good candidate.  Just know that the TransEar people are extremely good at designing an ear mold and unit for you.  The audiologist you choose simply must be a cooperative personality who will sell you this new instrument and remain willing to stay with you to final fitting.  It is a good idea to be close to the audiologist's office because you might need a few visits there before the final 'aha' moment.  Ask for permission to get followup appointments on demand. 

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:28:17 pm »
Yeah Katie, I have an appt on Friday for the same thing!  This local Doctor hasn't done a Transear yet, but has done the research and done other deep ear canal fittings.  I called up the clinic today after getting information from Transear, and she actually got on the phone immediately to talk to me about her experience.  I like that I don't have to do the educating!  Marg gave me the info on a guy two hours away that did hers, but if I can find someone local, so much the better! 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

krbonner

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 01:13:25 pm »
Well, today's appt with the audiologist was exceptionally disappointing.  When I brought up TransEar, the senior audiologist told me that:
- it's not new, it's been around since the 80s, now it's just new marketing
- didn't work well then, doesn't work now
- everyone who tries it finds it uncomfortable and doesn't use it past the first couple of months
- "you don't want that"

I tried to explain that I had talked with several people who use TransEar and are very happy with it.  I tried to suggest that perhaps the technology has changed in the last 20 years.  (Ya think!!!)  I tried to explain that I don't expect a return to full speech discrimination or localization.  I just want to be better aware of when something's happening on my deaf side.

I was shut down again.  She obviously thought she knew my needs better than I do.  At that point, I stopped.  Clearly she wasn't going to be willing to work with me on this, so I figured I'm better off finding someone else who is.  I did get a chance to try out some other hearing aids to see what they're like.  I didn't like the cros one at all - not only did I not like having something in my good ear, but the sound quality seemed very unnatural.  I also tried a regular digital hearing aid in my good ear to compensate for my low frequency loss there - it made a difference and the sound quality was excellent, but I'm not sure I'd get $2200 worth of benefit.

I was so frustrated.  Is it so unreasonable to expect that the hearing aid clinic at a world-renowned facility would be willing to have an open dialog about this?   ???

On to find better people, I guess.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 01:33:12 pm »
Katy, that is just too sad.  How do people with closed minds stay in business?  The rapid changes in technology will overcome them.  Too bad for you but the audiologist didn't get to sell you anything either. ;)

I'd bet he will google tonight, if he knows how to use a computer...some catching up to do.

Jeanlea

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 08:22:31 pm »
Katie,

Sorry to hear that you did not have a good appointment.  Sounds like a misinformed person.  I'd try another audiologist.  Seems like the younger ones might be more interested in the new technology.  I'd refer you to mine, but she's in Wisconsin.  I've had my TransEar for 9 months now and I find it works better now than when I first got it.  I'm not sure why that is, but I'm happy about it. 

Jean

translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

TransEarXpert

• TransEar details
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:08 am »
Hi, Katie:

I'm sorry you had that experience at Massachusetts Eye and Ear. We were at a big Boston trade show exhibiting TransEar to professionals November 15-17, and an audiologist from this clinic came by our booth to ask "what's TransEar?" Without commenting specifically to the claims made to you (all wrong), the lady who visited our booth said that they do not believe in providing hearing assistance to those with SSD - not BAHA, not TransEar, not "nuttin'." I was as shocked as you that such a major clinic would take the one-ear-is-good-enough approach, but they do. And, that attitude is not specific to that individual audiologist, it is the clinic policy according to this audiologist.

If you need any help finding a more open-minded professional, please let me know.

Regards,

Rick

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 11:54:27 am »
Katie, as I said in my email, I'm so sorry.  Why do "professionals" behave in this manner, when you are the customer??!!!!  I guess they didn't want your money.  Give it to someone who wants to help you!!!!!

I had a great appt on Friday, happy to say, and my audiologist was just jumping out of his chair with excitement when I told him I met Rick at the Symposium and already tried the device and it works.  He's so thrilled to be finally working on a TransEar for someone.  That's the kind of experience you need and don't stop until you get it!!!!! 

Rick, thanks for helping to steer me in this direction, I'm pretty excited too!

Kathleen

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 02:57:10 pm »
Yo Gennysmom!
Why don't you come and stay with me and Dr Love and let me drive you over the mountain to Johnson City to the Transear people to get your Transear in person? Dr Transear himself can take your moulds! And you can visit with me and Eric and our new puppy (if you wait til the end of January!) Of course you'll have to hang out here until the thing gets made, and wouldn't that be awful! No fun at all! You'd have to bring Brian with you of course, it's cold here.

Sound good?

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

matti

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 04:20:32 pm »
katie,

I am very sorry  this happened to you. This is the same thing that I  experienced and your audiologists words were exaclty what was told to me. I should have listened to my gut and just walked away, but I pushed for it and she finally relented. 6 months and 7 remakes later, I finally gave up. I got tired of her eye rolling and sighs anytime I asked for my device to either be reprogammed or sanded down. TransEar and Rick Gilbert went above and beyond the call of duty for me to make it right, but their hands are tied when it comes to the audiologist.

My audiologist was the only game in town offering the device, hopefully there is someone else in your area willing to work with you.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

krbonner

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 04:32:57 pm »
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  I'm now working with the nice folks at TransEar to find someone else in my area.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

jerseygirl

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 06:12:15 pm »
Katie,

I made up my mind that I will travel further but seek a Transear experienced audiologist for this very reason! I hope you have a good experience next time.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 06:22:46 pm »
Captain....yeah, no waiting for me, when I make up my mind, I make it up!  Besides, that way I'll HAVE my TransEar when I come visit you and Dr. Love, and yes I will bring Brian.  He loves dogs, so you best have a puppy by then!!!!!  We can go visit the good Doc then anyway!

Katie, lots of luck with your next guy/gal.  You deserve someone enthusiastic about your health/hearing/well being.  Hell, we've already got a hole in our heads, we've been through enough already!

krbonner

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 03:35:46 pm »
I found someone else who's already done another TransEar fitting.  I go see her for a consult on Dec 17th.  Yay!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:15 pm »
Yay Katie!!!!!  I'm thrilled for you!  Wonderful!!!