Author Topic: Incision hurts 21 months after surgery........  (Read 2055 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Incision hurts 21 months after surgery........
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:54:19 pm »
I still can't sleep on that side of my head and it still hurts to touch. There is no way I could tolerate a head massage and my hair stylist knows to leave that area alone as much as possible when brushing or washing my hair. It hurts to lie back in the bowl at the salon for a hair wash so I am going to start taking my blow up bath pillow to use when I get my hair done. Is this normal for this area to still hurt. It isn't a headache but it is surface pain/incision pain. I've had the incision looked at and it is healing fine but the neurosurgeon here in town said that it felt a little caved in. No fat was used to close it back up just mesh/plate and screws.
Angie

Pembo

Re: Incision hurts 21 months after surgery........
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:18 pm »
I have a mesh plate and screws, no fat. Mine doesn't hurt but it's sensitive. I can tolerate hairwashing but  my massage therapist does one move for my neck that hurts like crazy!!! I'm 5 years out....I think it's just the nerves being hypersensitive.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

amymeri

Re: Incision hurts 21 months after surgery........
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »
I am 3 years out and still have pain at the site.  Sometimes like an aching sensation and sometimes very sensitive to the touch.  I find that the area gets very sore if I wear sunglasses for long periods.

You can clearly feel my screws and the area is more caved in, so I suspect that there is simply no padding there to protect the skin.  Also, those neck muscles seem like they were cut and I often have a lot of neck pain on the affected side.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now