Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421649 times)

kingmaker

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2010, 01:52:05 am »
I want to see this happening...

cindyj

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2010, 01:34:54 pm »
Ok, how'd you guys do?  Lori, Kay, Jill Marie, did you get to the gym?  Don't worry if not, just plan to go next week - put it on your calendar and then GO!  Let us know!  ;D

The weather has FINALLY improved down here, hopefully the rest of you will get some better weather also.  Will help all of us in our efforts to do outside activities.  My 1/2 is this Sunday in FL - supposed to be mid to high 60's!  That's more like it!  8)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2010, 06:43:18 pm »
I went to the gym today for a hard, thorough workout because I have not been getting there enough lately.

I'll be paying for it tomorrow, but it's good pain . . .

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Jill Marie

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2010, 09:05:42 pm »
Hi Cindy,  Yes, I made it to the gym, it was hard, not because I didn't want to work out but because it meant leaving my son at home when I could be spending time with him instead.  He was in the Army for 7 years and has been back home most of the last year.  He is planning on going back into the Army so it means he will be leaving soon and who knows how much I will be seeing him for a while.  He works out a lot to stay in shape so he told me to go ahead and we could go shopping when I was done.  Compromise is good.  After the workout and shopping I met up with his older brother and caught up with his life so it all turned out ok.  I've been working overtime this week but only missed the gym one day, took a little nap in my truck in front of the gym just so I could muster up the energy.  I'm actually considering going to the gym after work tomorrow which is Saturday, I NEVER workout on Saturday.  My momentum is that I'm finally under 150 and I like that, look out 140!  Sara I hope you're not to sore, don't forget the heating pad or a microwaved rice pad to make you feel better, or a glass of wine.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2010, 10:50:18 pm »
Yay Cindy for the half! I'm glad the weather looks good and I hope it goes great for you! Is it a big race with lots of crowd support?

I've just been out a couple of times this week. Too much going (that's under another thread about depression and i don't want to bring that thread into this thread). But, i want to say, that even when things are so stressful in life, it is such a relase to go run or workout or something even when you just don't feel like it at all.
That being said, I was supposed to go run with a friend at 7am. But tomorrow I really need some sleep; tough week. So i need to say that I will get up tomorrow and run 10-12 tomorrow in the morning. If i don't say it here, i'm sure i'll find many reasons to talk myself out of it!

It's the weekend! It's not snowing feet! We can get out there and do something!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2010, 08:20:21 am »
Good luck on the 1/2 Cindy....let us know how it goes. 

Great job on the workout and weight loss Jill....keep it going consistently.

Also great job Sara....try your best to keep it going on a regular basis.

Keri, hope you can find the time for a good run today. I know you've had a lot going on...but it would be a good release for you to be able to go on a long run.

I'm heading out for back to back bike rides (today and tomorrow) of 40 miles each (if no rain).

Be active and safe everyone.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

lori67

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2010, 08:47:10 am »
Sad to report, I did not make it.  I had to babysit my neighbors kids part of the week and then I had a sick kid the other part.  The best laid plans....  Kaybo, I think you must have sent your stomach bug up here, but on the bright side, only one kid got it...knocking on lots of wood over here.

We'll try it again this week!  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can......

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 09:06:06 am »
It was not too bad over the weekend. I felt it, but as I said, it was "good pain." And it motivated me to stop by the gym this morning and do my regular daily routine. I like to go Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and then I only need to spend an hour each day instead of a marathon like Friday.

Today was lower body and 20 minutes on the recumbent bike. Tomorrow upper body and elliptical. (Helps me to have a plan.)

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:17 am »
Was planning on going to Yoga this morning but have to go make copies early as I have a meeting at 11...this week looks pretty crazy since I have a million things to do, am in charge of a Style Show at church a week from Saturday and am leaving town on Thursday for Canada.  Depending on the weather, we MAY go skiing at Lake Louise Saturday.  Boy, will I be sore since I am so out of shape!!   :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2010, 12:15:36 pm »
Yesterday was a beautiful day, so I got a walk in.  This morning I shoveled snow - we only got about 4 or 5 inches, but it was very heavy and wet.

I'm seriously considering joining the local health club, but I'm not sure yet.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »
Jan, pls keep the snow... it's heading this way for tomorrow night and I'm none too thrilled! :)

Ya know, I've been following along with this discussion/thread.  It kills me that 9 years ago, I was in the gym, 6 days a week, looked great in a bikini and worked hard to stay in shape, powerwalking 4 miles in 47 mins each day.... then, March, 2001, I took violently ill while at the gym, had to be rushed via ambulance to the ER and they thought I had a heart attack  (good news... it was not a heart attack.... bad news, they found my malignancy). My body has been failing me since that day.....The bloke would tell you just how much he hears it from me, just how much I miss my workouts.

so, I've been following along here... with a pang in my gut as to how much I miss my workout days. For those of you that have met me face to face, you can see how much my body is now retaliating.... and it bums me to no end that I cannot work out like I use to be able.

so, I went home for lunch today to walk the dog.  We have a street, that is very very very steep/hilly, next to our house.  We usually walk the dog up this steep hilly street... usually with my cane.  It's a nice one here today (until Jan blows her weather our way tomorrow..... ugh!), so I took the dog for the walk up the hilly street... BUT, without my cane.  My cane is for multiple reasons (funny... not really related to AN balance issues... more of leg weakness due to Chiari, hip bursitis, lower back arthritis, etc) and it felt great not to use it when I walked the dog.  The dog is also great for "vestibular" exercises cuz she'll pull me one way and I have to counteract my balance by pulling myself the opposite way, etc.  As I walked the hilly street, I thought of this thread and I have to say... YOU ALL gave me my motivation to take my time, go for it, knowing I could do it with focus/concentration and with a smile on my face! :)

so, I commend you all for the cheering on that you do here in this thread... as I also took it to heart and enjoyed the stroll today, sans cane, with the dog... and I plan on continuing these efforts as long as my body allows me.

So, a HEARTY thanks to you all! I'm gonna continue to do this (esp if Jan keeps the snow away from us) and focus on it.

BTW, have been on dr supervised diet this past year. Down 28 lbs with another 10 lbs to lose to hit my target/goal weight. I'll check in here to let you all know how I'm doing.

Thanks again all!  You all have heard me say it before.... "strength in numbers" and this thread certainly demonstrates it! Well done to all of you taking on this challenge!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

texsooner

« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2010, 03:07:57 pm »
Great job again Sara on the workouts.

Kay, sounds like you're definitely busy....sneak in some walks or workouts when you can. Be careful if you go skiing.

Jan, great job on the walk and more snow shoveling. Go for it on joining the health club.....I think it's worth the investment in your health if you use it regularly.

Lori....I know you can, I know you can, I know you will!!!  ;)

Welcome in Phyl. I know you've been through a lot, but you definitely have the right attitude. Way to go on walking without the cane, but do be careful....we'll allow you to use the cane (if needed), just keep trying to get out there like you said. Don't know if you're able to shovel snow, but sounds like Jan is going to give you a shot at it. Also, awesome job on the weight loss...regular walking will likely help you to your goal and maintaining.

Everybody stay active and be safe.

Patrick

« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 03:10:31 pm by texsooner »
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2010, 03:42:53 pm »
Bravo Phyl! There must be part of your story I haven't heard yet. I never knew you had a malignancy, though I had heard about some of the other stuff from other posts. Here's a big pat on the back for getting out there today and another for managing without your cane! Plus a big pat on the head for your doggy.

Kay, I can't wait to hear about the skiing. Just be careful not to break a leg, OK?

Lori, my kids and husband had that stomach bug too. Thank the good Lord I did not get it. I hear you on that busy part, but I decided last week that I HAVE to take good care of myself to take good care of the rest of my family. My stress level is a lot more manageable on days that I make it to the gym.

Jan, snow shoveling definitely counts as exercise, especially six inches of heavy wet snow. I'm with Patrick on joining the gym. See if you can get a "try before you buy" day and take along a book to see how you like the recumbent bicycles.

Speaking of Patrick, thanks for the kind words. It does feel better to be back in a routine.

Keri and Cindy, I envy you the running. I've had to give it up as running is the only activity to trigger asthma attacks. It's easier to manage life if I stick to walking, treadmill, elliptical and stationery bike. Same benefits, no inhaler.

I got some good news from the doctor's office today at my annual exam. According to the nurse I have lost six pounds since November. All I can figure is that I must have had winter boots on at the last visit because I can't imagine shedding six pounds over the Christmas holidays much less the six week hiatus from the gym. But whatever, it's good to have something to be excited over.

This is the time of year that most people give up on their fitness resolutions, so keep up the good work everyone. Remember the body in motion tends to stay in motion.

Take care,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

lori67

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2010, 04:09:32 pm »
I'll have you guys know you guilted me into going to the Y for an hour and a half long yoga class today!  Ugh...  I'm pretty sure the instructor was Atilla the Hun in a previous life.  So, if you don't hear from me tomorrow, it's because I can't muster the energy to swing my legs out of the bed to get up.

It felt good though and I actually did pretty well for not having done yoga in over a year.  Well, at least I didn't fall over or completely embarrass myself, so I'd say that was doing pretty well!   ::)

I just have to get over the guilt about leaving my 3 year old at the child care there.  The child care (and the Y itself) in Nashville were so big and brand new and nice.  Our Y here is old and small and the child care room isn't very big.  I know she's fine and the ladies that work there are great, but I still feel bad leaving here there.  She didn't seem to mind though, so I guess I just have to get over it.

Phyl, nice work on the dog walk.  I'm sure the dog appreciated it, even with those short little legs!  (the dog's, not yours).

Sounds like everyone is trying and the encouragement here is great!  I just hope I'm able to lift my coffee cup tomorrow morning or it's going to be a long day...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2010, 04:34:21 pm »
Yay, Lori! Way to deal with that guilt. A lesser woman might have tried to bury it with a Twinkie. Or drown it with a marguerita. Or both.

Here's hoping you are not too tired or sore tomorrow.

Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09