Author Topic: Upcoming surgeries - Liz, Lacey, Charlene & Dave Benz  (Read 6705 times)

wendysig

Re: Upcoming surgeries - Liz, Lacey, Charlene & Dave Benz
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 10:44:20 pm »
Liz, Charlene and Dave,
 Sorry I missed your surgery dates but I have not been on as much as usual in the past week and have bene trying to catch up.  I'm sending positive energy and thoughts your way and hope you are all doing well.  I'll be looking for your posts when you are up to giving us updates.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 12:03:50 pm »
Lacey's daughter,

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. Does this mean that her facial nerve is fine? I hope so.
How about you? How are you doing? The surgery tends to be rough on the patient's family and caretakers, too.

Will keep checking for updates.
Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 04:24:57 pm »
Lacey's Daughter:

I'll just add my regrets that your mom is struggling, but her situation following AN surgery is actually not entirely unique. It's still frustrating, though.  I was in the ICU for four days and nights and yet had few problems, except poor appetite the first 48 hours post-op.  'Nurse Ratchet' (my name for her) refused to leave the room until I ate something on my third day post-op.  I did and was sitting up, then walking around by day four.  By day five I was moved to a semi-private room, then discharged by noon because my doctor saw no reason to keep me hospitalized.  By that time, I was ready to drive myself home but my wife thought better of it and I resumed my recovery as a passenger in our car, then basically a bystander at home...for about a week.  The point?  Food helps, even that wretched hospital food.

I trust your mom will be feeling better soon and be able to keep some food down.  Not to instigate, but sneaking in a favorite, easily digestible food from 'the outside' has been known to revive hospital patient's appetites.  Not that you would do this, of course.  Just an observation.  ;)

Thanks for taking the time to keep us updated.  Its appreciated.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 04:33:30 pm »
'Nurse Ratchet' (my name for her) refused to leave the room until I ate something on my third day post-op.

Wow!  My hospital didn't have a Nurse Ratchet, but the nutritionist paid me a personal visit on day 3 or 4 and insisted that I needed to eat.  She offered to make me anything on the hospital menu.  Yea, I know sounds really good  ;D  Too bad we were talking hospital food  ::) 

Lacey's daughter -

hope your mom is feeling much better.  I'm looking forward to your next update and am anxiously awaiting the day that Lacey will be able to post for herself  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 09:58:54 am »
Hi Lacey's daughter-

Just a quick note on the elevated blood sugar - this can be caused by the steroids.  I actually got insulin shots while in the hospital, which totally freaked me out the first time.  Anyway, blood suger was back to normal by the time I was released from the hospital.  Apparently, this is fairly common.

Hopefully Lacey is home by now, or at least ready to come home!

Let us know how she's doign, okay?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lacey7

• Prayer means everything to me.
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:23 pm »
Hey All,

This is Lacey's daughter again.  Wanted to give you all an update.  She came home from the hospital last wednesday.  She was doing very well.  Then on Saturday evening she noticed something running out her nose and down the back of her throat.  We called the Dr. and they said to come into the emergency room.  Turns out it was CFS (Spinal Fluid) leaking from somewhere.  They kept her overnight and this morning (Sunday morning) did surgery to repack her ear to close the leak.  Tonight she is back in ICU and while she is in great pain, she is thankfully not dealing with naseau this time.  She has a spinal drain in her back that they are watching closely.  She will have to remain flat on her back until that is taken out - probably on Friday.  Then they will get her up and hopfully the leak will have stopped.  The Dr. said it is very unusual for this to happen, especially on the 10th day after surgery.  I will keep you updated on her progress.  Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.  We appreciate it.
Diagnosed 4/15/08.
AN - 1.4 cm.  Translab surgery 6-26-08.  SPF leak 7-5-08, and went back into surgery 7 -6-08.
SSD left side, after surgery
Dr. LaRoure - Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI.

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 11:49:04 pm »
Oh dear, that doesn't sound like fun at all. I think they are pretty good these days at managing CSF leaks when they happen, so hopefully your mother will be okay on Friday when they get her up again. Stay strong for her; she will get through this soon. Best wishes to you both.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2008, 07:05:27 am »
Lacey's daughter -

please tell your mom she's in our thoughts and prayers.

CSF leaks aren't too common, but they do happen.  It seems like we've had quite a few of them among the members of this forum lately.

I hope that your mom is back home soon and can continue with her recovery without any more "bumps in the road".

Thanks for the update,

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Melissa778

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 07:12:38 am »
Lacey's daughter,

Let your mom know we are thinking of her and I hope she's up and aroudn soon.  I'll be wathcign for an update....thanks so much for keepign us informed.

Melissa
1.6cm X 1.6cm diagnosed Jan 30 2008
Translab Surgery scheduled for May 15th with Surgery went well, got ALMOST all of it.
GK to zap the rest on 10/22/08
2010 MRI showed no new growth tumor measuring at that time at 1.1 x .4
2011 Holding steady
2012 new growth 1.7 x .7 :( :(

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 09:06:04 am »
Having been away for a short bit, I'm just now getting caught up with everyone.

Lacey's daughter, please let mum know that she is in my thoughts and wishes.....

and for everyone else... continued wellness wishes to you all. Will keep a closer eye now to see how the follow AN'ers are doing.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 11:19:49 am »
Hi Lacey's daughter-

Please let your mom know she is in my prayers and thoughts.  It does seem like an unusual number of ANers have had CSF leaks lately - hopefully your mom's will get resolved very quickly.  Make sure the nurses know about her pain so that they can manage it effectively.  The body can't heal as well when it is fighting pain, so this is very important.  Even if the drugs make her feel wonky, the body needs to focus that energy on healing.

prayers and hugs to you both,
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 12:50:09 pm »
Hey guys -

has anyone heard from Liz, Charlene, or Dave Benz  ??? 

Just wondering,

Jan

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 01:34:33 pm »
Hi, everyone

I'm wondering about Liz, Charlene & Dave Benz too. Will keep checking for updates and praying for the best outcome.

Lacey and daughter: so sorry Mom had to go back to the hospital with a CSF leak. Prayers and well wishes continue to be set your way.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Tamara

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 05:39:59 pm »
Golly, a lot of us seem to be "rare" these days...my CSF leak out my incision was "almost unheard-of".  Hmmmm, wonder what the stats really are??

Hope the CSF leak is over - take care, both Lacey and daughter,
Tammy
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:35 pm »
Just read an update from Dave Benz.  Here's the link http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6869.msg69834#msg69834

Jan