Author Topic: Slow and Steady Progress  (Read 5489 times)

wcrimi

Slow and Steady Progress
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:38 am »
I thought it might be a good idea to let anyone that recently had surgery know that even though the recovery process is a bit frustrating, you eventually do improve.

I'm a little over 4 months post op now. I really hadn't felt much improvement in my balance/dizziness over the last couple of months after having some quick progress right after surgery. So I've been a bit frustrated. Fortunately, the weather has been a lot better in NY lately. So I've been able to be more active outside (longer and more frequent walks).  Yesterday I felt the best I have since surgery. I was afraid to get too excited because I often have setbacks after an especially good day, but this morning was more of the same.  So today was the day I decided to test myself on the tennis court. I didn't expect much because I figured the combination of mild balance and dizziness issues plus mild visual disorientation when I turn my head quickly to the left would impact my ability to get around and/or even hit the ball.  To my shock, I actually played quite well (for me that is. I'm not very good to begin with  ::)). In fact, the more I played the more I improved and the steadier I felt. I actually had no problem with hand eye coordinnation at all.  It was probably in the upper 90% range. I can't wait for my next day off!!! 

I am officially getting better!   ;D

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 11:09:15 am by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: Slow and Steady Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:48:52 am »
Hi Wayne,

Yet another wonderful example of the power of activity after AN surgery.  So many people have taken their recovery to the next level by becoming more active.  My doctor told me that my recovery time would basically depend on how much I was able and willing to push myself.  The more active I stay, the faster I recover.  Thanks for sharing this for all those who may find it helpful!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

kenneth_k

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »
Hi Wayne.

I'm 6 months post up and I just got severely beaten by my wife in badminton. But then again, she also beat me before surgery ;) Tried basketball with the kids, but that was too diffucult. However, I'm able to out-run them any time.

I agree that these kinds of posts can be very comforting for people just out of surgery or watching and waiting - trying to decide.

Regards, Kenneth

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »
Wayne:

Those setbacks you have after a day of feeling good, I found it was the same for me. What happens is that you feel so good, you think you can do it all, so you try and do it all. The result is the setback you mention. But don't be discouraged. I hope you are having more good days than bad.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:16:07 pm »
Hey, Wayne ~

I'm so pleased to learn of your improved recovery!  I know you struggled for some time.  Nothing like some physical activity to move things along and success breeds confidence, which can lead to more activity and before you know it, you're not only officially getting better - but regaining normalcy, which is the real goal, although 'getting better' is good, too.  Congratulations!  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

cindyj

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:44:28 pm »
Hey, Wayne!

Great to hear from you and hear that you're doing well!  Congrats for getting out on the tennis court!  My husband thinks I'm actually a better player now because I am forced to really focus on the ball and make sure I'm really in a good position to hit the thing.  Don't know if I'm really a better player, but I'm really enjoying it again!  Think you and I have come a long way in our 4 months since surgery! 

So glad you're feeling like you're "officially better" - know things will continue to get even better for you!  Take care,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 04:28:29 pm »
Wayne,
Thank you for posting that.  And you are "officially getting better"!  It's a great way to put it.  I totally get what you mean about setbacks.  I just keep hoping that the bad days are fewer and farther between.  Then I might say I'm officially getting better.  I'm not quite that brave yet.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »
I'm with you, Marci.  I feel good, I have been back at school half-days, and my goose egg has been behaving itself admirably.  But because of the setbacks I have experienced, I hesitate to say that I think I finally am on my way.  I'm  so looking forward to the day when I come to that gradual realization, and I can quit holding my breath!

Thanks for the post, Wayne.  It helps to hear about it when others have reached that point.  My time to crow will come. ;)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

wcrimi

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 06:57:10 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Today was not as good as the last two days, but the weather was dreary in NY so it was hard for anyone to feel good. I think I'm off tomorrow. I'm hoping for some good weather. I'm dying to get back out there even if it's not one of my better days!     :D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wcrimi

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 07:47:15 am »
I'm just past the 6 month point now and I'm still improving. 

I'm not as dizzy as I used to be when I'm in motion around the house or on the tennis court and I feel less disoriented because my eyes seem to be adjusting to rapid head movements better.  I would say my average day is a lot like my good days were 2 months ago and my best days are at a new peak. 

I was never much of a tennis player before surgery, but from playing twice a week I would say I am a better tennis play now than I was before surgery despite the continued balance issues.  ;D

So again, to all those who recently had surgery that are feeling the frustration of very gradual and hard to notice improvement, it does happen.  I am looking forward to 2 months from now because I feel confident I am going to be even better!!!   So will you!

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 11:43:43 am »
Hey, Wayne!  So glad you check in on "our" post-op milestones...glad to hear you feel like you're doing much better!  Know what you mean about the tennis - I feel as though I'm certainly watching the ball better (because I have to really focus on it), so that does make me a better player than I was pre-op.  However, I am still pretty wonky-headed out there.  It doesn't stop me, by any means, but I haven't seen any improvement in that aspect.  My husband actually thinks my balance issues are worsening, but I think it's just that I'm not being as cautious as I perhaps was early on...doesn't really concern me, just a point of interest to me.  Although, I will admit that I almost fell over on the court earlier this week - kind of scared the people I was playing with...they're all a bit protective of me ;)

Hope all else is going well for you!  Keep in touch!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
Wayne -

very encouraging post.  Thanks for sharing the great news about your continued recovery  ;D

Keep up the great tennis game,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 08:24:07 pm »
Hi Wayne,
I'm about a month and a half behind you in post surgery land. I know what you mean when you say that you get so happy over a good day and then a bad day can feel like a set back. In the early days (when I was measuring my postie status by weeks, not months yet) I would think if I had a really good day I should always, from now on, feel that good. But then I'd have a bad day with a headache or fatigue. Then I'd wonder 'what happened - thought I was past that.' There's still good and bad days at 4 months post op and even beyond that.

Good for you for the tennis playing and improvement. Glad the weather's getting better.
Have a great long weekend!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 07:10:03 am »
I thought it might be a good idea to let anyone that recently had surgery know that even though the recovery process is a bit frustrating, you eventually do improve.

So today was the day I decided to test myself on the tennis court. To my shock, I actually played quite well (for me that is. I'm not very good to begin with  ::)). In fact, the more I played the more I improved and the steadier I felt. I actually had no problem with hand eye coordinnation at all.  It was probably in the upper 90% range. I can't wait for my next day off!!! 

I am officially getting better!   ;D

Wayne,

Wow, when you decide to test yourself you decide to test yourself! Tennis! ....all that running, bending, watching, hitting, making quick changes in direction... Yep, I'd say that's a true test.

I am glad to read your official report.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

wcrimi

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 07:59:55 am »
I'd like to make a suggestion to anyone that wants to try to take my path to recovery. I've been very diligent about doing various balance exercises almost every day to accelerate my recovery.  It only takes me about 10-15 minutes a day to do the minimum amount (aside from long walks when possible). I think if you work at it a little, you can accelerate the progress.

However, even though I'm not really a tennis player (I just play for exercise), Dr. Smooha suggested to me that I would get a lot more out of that then just home balance exercises. I think I have to agree with him.  In the beginning, all I did was hit a ball against a wall for 20 minutes or so.  I was basically trying to hit it right back to myself to avoid having to run, stretch, etc... or put myself in a position of losing my balance and falling.  I only very slowly tested myself with running, stretching, quick moves to the left/right etc...  and then evetually playing against someone.  (note: I told her not to try to hit any shots down the line but she can't help herself  ;D)

I had a great deal of trouble with feeling  disoriented when I moved my head rapidly. I think it was related to me eyes not being able to follow things when I turned my head quickly to the left. I found that trying to follow a rapidly moving ball was much more helpful than the eye exercises I was doing at home. That has been the latest area of improvement and it has tranlsated into a better overall feel about my balance. 

Even if you are not athletic at all, if you can find something like this to do I think it will help you.  I think everyone should test themselves without putting themselves in danger or taking any risks. I think you will find that you can do more than you think and that testing yourself works to improve your balance and confidence in a self fullfiling way.

Cindy,

I am still pretty wonky-headed out there when I'm moving quickly, but I seem to be able to play through it. The difference is that in the first few weeks of recovery the improvement came quickly. Now it's not noticeable until about every 6 weeks. But even if it takes 3 months to get to the next level, that's OK.  I just wanted everyone to be sure it can and does happen. That was one of the thing that made me unhappy a few months ago. I wasn't sure if I would ever get any better at all.  Now I know I can get better and I can accelerate it by working at it. I don't know where my peak recovery level is, but I'm going to work to get there as soon as possible. Besides, tennis is not work.  ;)

All of you are in my prayers daily!!!

Wayne

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:45:59 am by wcrimi »