Author Topic: tinnitus in other ear?  (Read 11946 times)

latirus

Re: tinnitus in other ear?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 10:46:06 am »
Those of us who are older probably have garden variety, age-related hearing loss in the 'good' ear, which probably leads to tinnitus.  I certainly hope my increasing noises in the good ear has nothing to do with another AN, but I do try not to worry about that and not to listen to the tinnitus.   I used to get angry at the ENT doctors, who seemed to have no sympathy whatsoever, but I now realize doctors probably hate complaints they get all the time that they can't fix.  What can they tell you?   It's good mental health to practice mind control on the tinnitus (might as well, since there's not much else to do) and also on the worry in general.  If you find that your worry is getting to you in spite of your efforts, sometimes a bit of chemical help can remind you of what it's like to feel cheerful.  Most doctors will let you try an SSRI, the newer type of antidepressant.  Different ones work on different people, and you might go through some trial and error.   if you find one that does help, it can get you through a bad patch. 

jwporter

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 09:21:04 pm »
Hi!

I'm new hear. I'm 28 and discovered I had AN in the left ear. I thought it was from listening to loud music and being in bands. Go figure!

Anyway, I know this has to do with post-op ringing, but I also experience tinnitus in my "good" ear. It happened this past winter. And I noticed that it's only real noticeable during cold months. It was fine all summer for example. But this unseasonably cool weather has unleashed the ringing once more. I just had an mri for my AN and the Doctor said there wasn't a tumor on that side....

JAndrews

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:02:10 am »
I have the chain necklace sound too! I had it prior to surgery and still have it now. I thought I was having tinnitus in the other ear too--turns out its just all "head noise"
2.5cm x2.0cm cerebellapontine angle meningioma. 100% removal 2/2009. House Ear Institute. Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz. SSD right ear. No balance problems except when really tired, no headaches. Transear hearing aide made no difference, tried it for 4 months.

eugd

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 08:14:07 pm »
Crossover Tinnitus getting worse and more constant  in the good ear, has anyone follow up with a MRI? anyone symptoms go away in the good ear? going for my 5 year at the end of the year. 
Eugene- Age 32
2.15 cm mass on the right nerve removed via the retro on 12/20/06. D.C. from the House Ear Institute on 12/23/06. Dr. Freidman, & Dr. Shwartz. were the doctors. No post opt. vertigo, hearing loss  or facial nerves damage.  No major post opt headaches.

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:40 am »
eugd: i had an MRI to check out the tinnitus in my good ear, nothing found., guess I developed this about 17 years after surgery and have had it for around 5 years, unchanged since i noticed it and no "reason" found for it
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Troutbc

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2015, 06:38:30 am »
 I have this too! Tinnitus in my good ear started 2 months after surgery to remove right-side AN. I am deaf on the right side now.

Left side tinnitus is mainly upon waking up in the morning...like a bb gun as someone else described. Disappears once I get up. Other times, like once a week, i get a 1-2 second buzz in the good ear, then it goes away.  SO annoying. I fear I have another AN but the MRI is negative!!
26 year old female Boston,MA
3cm AN diagnosed 2/13/15. 9.5 hour retrosigmoid surgery in April 2015 with Barker/McKenna