Author Topic: Scared Sh*tless, Surgery scheduled 2/26, recovery feedback?  (Read 8862 times)

artadvice

Scared Sh*tless, Surgery scheduled 2/26, recovery feedback?
« on: January 05, 2014, 08:46:15 pm »
I am new to the forum, but so happy to have found it.  I was diagnosed the day before xmas w/ 27mm tumor.  Doc says he thinks it's been there at least 10 years.  In retrospect,  now,  I realize balance issues, hearing loss and facial tics are all related to that. I know the tumor has to come out.  It's big, I can't concentrate,  don't feel safe riding my horse and have trouble sleeping because of the facial tics.  My daughter is expecting (my first grandchild) in May, and my first thought was to postpone the surgery until after the baby is born.  I opted to do it now rather than later and I am HOPING that I will be ok enough to be there for her.  I am having the surgery at Kaiser in San Diego w/ Dr. Cueva and Mastridomas, I feel good about them but any feedback is appreciated.  I am curious about recovery options.  I have read some horror stories on this forum as well as several success stories...I guess no one knows until its over.  I will keep you all posted.

clere

Re: Scared Sh*tless, Surgery scheduled 2/26, recovery feedback?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 09:45:12 am »
I feel the same way.....scared to death!! I am scheduled for surgery January 16 at HOUSE in LA.  My AN is much smaller but my anxiety level is WAY HIGH!!  I have lost all hearing in the AN ear and in retrospect have had (and continue to have) some minor balance issues and facial tightness and/or numbness.  It is hard to decide if some of what I am feeling is real or imagined now that I know I have the AN. I have a job,  3 young grandchildren and and a busy life like everyone else. I tried to take many things into consideration when scheduling surgery.  Finally decided there is no "good" time.  Cannot wait to have at least the surgery part over and get on with LIFE! I have read good things about Kaiser on this forum and wish you the best.  Try to relax, or at least not stress all day every day   :P

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:59:32 pm »
No need to be scared sh*tless.  AN surgery is major surgery but it's not the end of the world.  And you'll find that life is good after AN surgery; I speak from experience.

At 2.7 cm, your AN technically isn't "big" but it definitely sounds like it's time to treat it.  I'm no doctor, but I think you'll be glad you had the surgery before your grandchild comes along - and I'm betting you'll feel more than "ok enough" to be there for your daughter. 

Don't let the horror stories affect you; lots of success stories don't stick around the Forum because they really have no reason to.

Good luck with your surgery  :)

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

v357139

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »
I am new to the forum, but so happy to have found it.  I was diagnosed the day before xmas w/ 27mm tumor.  Doc says he thinks it's been there at least 10 years.  In retrospect,  now,  I realize balance issues, hearing loss and facial tics are all related to that. I know the tumor has to come out.  It's big, I can't concentrate,  don't feel safe riding my horse and have trouble sleeping because of the facial tics.  My daughter is expecting (my first grandchild) in May, and my first thought was to postpone the surgery until after the baby is born.  I opted to do it now rather than later and I am HOPING that I will be ok enough to be there for her.  I am having the surgery at Kaiser in San Diego w/ Dr. Cueva and Mastridomas, I feel good about them but any feedback is appreciated.  I am curious about recovery options.  I have read some horror stories on this forum as well as several success stories...I guess no one knows until its over.  I will keep you all posted.

I was alot like you on worry.  I did so much research, and I only focused the problems.  Lost 50 pounds on worry.  Meanwhile, there are tons of success stories as well.  I am now six weeks post op, and doing great.  As long as you go to a place with a proven track record you have a great chance.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:24 pm »
Don't be scared! Put your trust in your surgeons! Recovery is much easier than all this worrying because you will be working towards getting back your life! There will be challenges to overcome, but most patients I met last month in the postop phase were doing wonderfully! Think positive, I have been amazed at my own recovery from translab. Karen

DIZZYGRAN

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 05:33:20 am »
I am waiting for surgery on the 28th January fr my 3.1 tumor.  I know how you feel! My tumor contains cysts and I dont know how that affects surgery.  I cant think of anything else at the moment.  I have terrible asthma from childhood and am registered disabled because of this.  My chest consultant says that I have only 37% lung function which sounds bad.  The surgery is lengthy and I am so scared my chest wont stand this.  I have no choice but to have this surgery so I have to trust the doctors and put myself in their hands.  I am so sad all the time at the thought of leaving my wonderful husband and daughter.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »
DIZZYGRAN ~

Although your asthma and limited lung function are problematic, I have to assume that your doctors would not operate if they were concerned about your ability to survive the surgery.  In today's litigious society, doctors tend to be very cautious about taking risks so you are right to trust your doctors.  I find it sad that you are contemplating not surviving the surgery.  Although outcomes can never be guaranteed, I hope you'll seek solace in looking forward to being tumor-free and able to enjoy your life and your family and not dwell on the unlikely prospect of 'leaving' them.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

v357139

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »
Jim is right.  I learned the hard way about worry.  I am so glad now that I am done.  Make sure you express your concerns to your doctors.  Then focus on the positive.  Think how great it will be when you are done - it will, so focus on that.
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

DeeDeeR

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:01:20 pm »
I too was terrified.  I tortured myself from the day I found out the tumor had to be removed until the morning of surgery.  Instead of enjoying each day, I was dwelling on what "could" happen.   I am 11 weeks post op,  I am doing extremely well.   I am back to work and look like I did before surgery.  Take each day as it comes and hang in there.  Before you know it, you will be on here posting about your recovery.  Good luck and God Bless.

Translab on 10/24/13
2.8 cm AN

DIZZYGRAN

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 05:13:56 pm »
thank you and I know you are right I should just be getting on with life and enjoying myself but instead I just feel weighted down with impending doom!! However, I will try harder. Going for my post op tomorrow so thats a step on the road. x

v357139

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:40:44 pm »
Don't try harder.  Trust in your doctors and God, and let them take care of you.

DeeDeeR

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 11:29:57 am »
I also suggest that you get a journal and record your thoughts.  I started one when it was determined that I had to have surgery.  I didn't write in it every day, just when I felt the need.  I recorded my thoughts, scripture and stories about the people who helped me.   The last time I wrote in it was in the early morning of my surgery.  I went to the bathroom in my hotel, while everyone else slept.  I recorded what I thought could be my last words...it was very comforting because I couldn't say verbally ( no one in my family wanted to hear), what I was really thinking.  Although I haven't written in my journal since that morning, I have read it several times and it has brought me comfort during my recovery.  Looking back, you can see how far that you have come.   :)

Big Steve

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 11:38:05 am »
Be strong, artadvice and DIZ! 

Like artadvice, I had no non-surgical options, and I figured no choice = less anxiety.

Life is much better one year after surgery.  Heck, life was better two months after surgery.  And, for me, after the first few days and other than the temporary steroid side effects, recovery and rehab was actually sorta fun, walking lots of miles in the neighborhood, looking around as I strolled, birdwatching, afternoon naps.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 11:43:59 am by Big Steve »
Sudden SSD (right side) 11/08 (erroneously diagnosed as caused by virus)
Chronic vertigo commenced 10/12
Intracochlear neuroma diagnosed via MRI 12/2012
Neuroma and right side cochlea/vestibular mechanism removed 01/15/13 via translabrynthine approach

v357139

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 01:38:20 pm »
Dizzygran - You should also discuss your asthma/lung fears with your surgeon.  Or maybe you already have.  If your surgeon does not think it is going to be a major problem, then you should not either.

DIZZYGRAN

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
Hi I actually saw my anesthetist today and although she thinks my chest is an issue,  she thinks that there will be no long term problem and that apart from possible infection post operation I should be fine.  Such a relief