Author Topic: It's been 5 years already??  (Read 2959 times)

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
It's been 5 years already??
« on: December 13, 2014, 01:27:44 pm »
Greetings all...so I was sitting here reading all the new posts when it occurred to me that 4 days ago it was 5 years since I had my head drilled in.  The memories of that time are definitely dimming, you know... little things that at the time seemed so epic.  Today, five years later, things are definitely the new normal.  I still have moments of unbalance, but not many (now mental unbalance...that's questionable! :) ).  The head goes a bit wonky when weather blows in (but not all the time).  Probably the biggest thing that I've experienced is the hearing and all that entails.  The BAHA, while it works great, does have its challenges.  I seem to, I guess the best word is "leak" sometimes around the abutment.  But again, that's only once in a while.  So if you are new to all this, just know that life will go on...however it ends up, right?  We humans are very capable of adapting and while my whole experience has been pretty minimal for the most part, those who have had many issues (Mei Mei comes immediately to mind!) we hope to eventually find that harmonic balance, that "yayyyy" moment.  Thanks to all those folks I have met on here over these past 5 years as we've shared our unique journeys together.
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

MNTim

Re: It's been 5 years already??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 02:24:14 pm »
Jay,
That's great. I told someone the other day that I have gone from thinking about the tumor and complications every minute of the day to very rarely thinking about it (I'm nearing four years since my last surgery).
It does get better over time.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

loose screws (tightened)

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 01:06:52 am »
Hey Jay,
That was a quick 5 years. Glad to read that things are going well. I check in less frequently as time passes but I still wonder about us from that time back in 09. There was quite a few of us that I remember from that time. I am still so thankful for all the support that was available then.

The "new normal" you mention. I miss the old normal, life minus one ear and vestibular system does present extra challenges that require extra attention.

For example. How many times have you said what, excuse me, or huh, in the last 5 years? Im really amazed how many people that I see every day that still don't get it.

Good luck with everything Jay.

All's well on this end.

I'll check in again and say hi.

Mike
47 Y/O. diagnosed AN After MRI. 4X5X7mm within the right auditory canal. Slight hearing loss, ringing in ear, vertigo. Middle fossa with House Ear Clinics Dr Brackmann and Dr. Schwartz on 11-16-09. 6 new tightened titanium screws but no more hearing.
http://mikessurgery.blogspot.com/

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 06:03:47 pm »
Mike!! Glad to see you buddy!!  Hope all is well with you man. Take care and have a great New Year!
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston