Author Topic: bad handwriting  (Read 2393 times)

nannettesea

bad handwriting
« on: October 20, 2005, 06:04:48 pm »
I remember reading from some of you that your handwriting deteriorated.  I had some bad reactions to an anti-depressant so went off them, but still have terrible trouble writing.  I had this problem both pre and post-op.

Doc said this had nothing to do with my AN.  Anybody else's doc say differently?
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

Raydean

Re: bad handwriting
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:54:20 pm »
I think one of the medical terms for this is  agraphia    You might want to do a search on this and see how it fits.  In my husband case it was an outcome related
to either the AN or hydro and was present prior to and after treatment

Best to you
Raydean
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:05:23 pm by Raydean »
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Angela

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 06:24:09 pm »
I'm 8 months post-op and my handwriting still looks terrible.  For the first 4 months, it looked like I was writing with my left (non-writing) hand.  My surgeon acted like that was a normal by-product.

It's gotten little stronger but not as controlled and consistent as it used to be.  I guess that's what bothers me most, that it's erratic and unpredictable.  If I make the same letter several times, then it will look different each time!  Architecture was my major so drawing and writing are important to me.

Sorry I can't offer any advice but sometimes confirmation is helpful/comforting.
ongoing issues: SSD, some facial paralysis, dry eye, bad balance, tinnitus

Feb'05 Stanford- 4cm x 3 x 3 "Timmy the Big Fat Tumor" removed via 13hr Trans Lab
Nov'07 Stanford- 2hr nerve graft
Mar'08 FACE STARTED MOVING, PRAISE GOD!Sep'10 Stanford- cyberknife for 2nd tumor "tiny tommy"
Mar'12 :)

nannettesea

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 07:33:55 pm »
Thanks, anab.  Just hearing other's stories does really help.
Nan
Trans-lab approach
8/29/05

nannettesea

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 05:45:42 pm »
Thanks to Raydean, also.  By the way, Raydean, are you in the Seattle area?  I live in Bellingham.  Support groups sound great but hard for me to get down that way 'cause I'm not driving long distances.

Nan
Trans-lab approach
8/29/05