Author Topic: successful surgery!  (Read 4800 times)

kimmccann

successful surgery!
« on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:06 pm »
Just got home from Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC, a mere 72 hours after being wheeled out of neurosurgery there with Philip Gutin (Chief of Neurosurgery there) and Samuel Selesnick (Weill-Cornell neurotologist). The outcome was far beyond my expectations - in the realm of greatest hopes: the tumor was able to be completely removed with no damage to facial nerve; and no further damage to auditory nerve - and, astonishingly, it seems the tinnitis is gone (which *may* be a temporary result of operation ... but may be lasting). What this means is that I can recognize words much better than before the operation because there's not all the background whirring, ringing, bings and pongs. Gutin described the tumor excision process as one of Selesnick's finest hours (and they do these operations A LOT together), especially considering that they had to keep me in an unusual position while operating so the previously-ruptured disks in my neck (same side as tumor) wouldn't be re-injured by the surgery. Care at Memorial was nothing short of spectacular: great facility, friendly helpful staff, excellent food - just all around a great experience. Folks in the NY-metro area who'd like to chat about what went into my decision to go forward, and with the team I chose should feel free to get in touch on my e-mail (envelope icon at left) - pls be patient if I don't respond asap because I've been ordered to rest up, but I promise I'll get back to you in a few days! Kim McCann
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 07:52:52 pm by sgerrard »
Kim McCann

cin605

Re: successful surgery!
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 05:41:02 pm »
Congrays to you!Welcome to postie land!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Tamster

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:12 pm »
Wow! Congratulations, Kim.  I am so happy to hear that all went so very well. May you continue to recover well without a return of tinnitus. Great news!!

Tam
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 02:05:42 pm »
Kim ~

I really love to read these glowing reports of AN surgeries that have fabulous outcomes!  Congratulations!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »
Kim,

Amazing!!!  I'm so happy to hear about your miraculous surgery.  Congratulations and yes, rest a lot. 

Lyn
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

usa2010

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:04:34 am »
A great report! I was glad to find this on here this morning as I prepare for my own procedure!
Retrosigmoid 1/26/2010 Dr. Tew and Pensak
No facial Paralysis. The verdict is out on the hearing.

Lilan

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:55:12 am »
Congrats!! That is wonderful news.
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

GRACE1

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »
We are all so happy for you!

Grace
Diagnosed 7/06: AN - right side: 1.3cm in transverse dimension, 6mm in AP dimension, and 6mm in cephalocaudal dimension.
GK 12/06- Wake Forest Univ Baptist Med Ctr
MRI 5/07- Some necrosis;  Now SSD
MRI 12/08- AN size has reduced 50%
MRI 12/11- AN stable (unchanged from 12/08)
Next MRI: 12/16

tenai98

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:51 pm »
Such awesome news...welcome to postieland
Jo
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 06:40:58 pm »
Congrats!  Sounds wonderful, and like a huge weight has now been lifted off of your shoulders.  Being on the other side is great in my opinion, but I'm guessing especially so if you're actually BETTER than before surgery (actually, not sure I've heard of that before?!?).

Congratulations!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 07:17:01 pm »
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyy! It's always a good thing to get these buggers out of our heads, eh? :)  Seriously, congrats Kim...just don't overdo it, cuz it'll bite ya in the end! :)
Jay
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 07:13:51 pm »
Excellent news!!  Hope your recovery continues on the same trajetory - do keep us posted, okay?
Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com