Author Topic: my hearing test.experience  (Read 4956 times)

sree

my hearing test.experience
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:07:56 am »
Hello
I recently joined this group after i found out about having an AN (4.8mm×6.2mm)in my right ear four months ago.I noticed some hearing loss in my right ear and from there the journey into the AN world stared.I had a hearing test then once and one more yesterday to see where I am.           My question is the Audiologist while checking my right ear for word recognition she played loud wind(gusty) sound in my good ear(left) and started saying the words in my right ear.She said to ignore the wind sound in my left ear and try my best to repeat the words.I already have loud multiple tinnitus sounds in AN ear which makes it harder to concentrate and this wind in my left ear was bad. So the verdict came as I have 0 •/• word recognition in my right ear. I am not convinced with the way the test was done. So is.this.the way normally  they do the hearing test?thanks a lot for reading all this and would appreciate any info given.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: my hearing test.experience
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 11:17:56 am »
Hi sree .....

People with sensorineural hearing loss (like we ANers have) is tricky to evaluate, since many of us have screaming tinnitus, as well.

As a result of my translab surgery, I am now totally deaf in my "dead" AN ear.  Prior to that, my audiograms always consisted of that part of the word recognition test being to put "white noise" in the opposite ear.  I have had audiograms in four different locations and they all did that.  It takes extreme concentration to focus on the tones and/or words coming from the audiologist, especially when the tones are the same pitch as my screaming tinnitus.

Unfortunately, loss of word recognition is one of the hallmarks in diagnosing an AN.  It's a bummer!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

arizonajack

• Arizona - It's a Dry Heat
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 11:19:05 am »
That you can still hear something with your AN ear doesn't necessarily mean that you have useful hearing in that ear.

When I discovered my own hearing loss I was able to hear a dial tone and faint voices on the phone but when I told my friends about it they told me that I had been ignoring them for over a year when they were passengers in my car and one was to my right in the front seat and the other was to my right in the back seat.

Of course, I thought I could hear well enough until then.

Your hearing test is likely an accurate snapshot of your hearing level because in actual hearing situations your hearing would be affected by your tinnitus and surrounding noises.

Further, as I mentioned in my response to your other post I had some hearing in my AN ear when my journey started and it was completely gone 6 months later and my AN was only slightly larger than yours.

The unpredictable part of having an AN is that some retain usable hearing and some don't. I'm one of the ones who didn't. You might be destined for that, too.

There are places like Costco, Sams Club, and Sears (along with a plethora of hearing aid vendors) that will give you a free hearing test if you'd like a comparison.

3/15/18 12mm x 6mm x5mm
9/21/16 12mm x 7mm x 5mm
3/23/15 12mm x 5.5mm x 4mm
3/13/14 12mm x 6mm x 4mm
8/1/13 14mm x 5mm x 4mm (Expected)
1/22/13 12mm x 3mm (Gamma Knife)
10/10/12 11mm x 4mm x 5mm
4/4/12 9mm x 4mm x 3mm (Diagnosis)

My story at: http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=18287.0

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:55:30 pm »
I remember being sad the first time I had a hearing test and couldn't understand most of the works and was told to guess. The next was 2 months later, when I heard nothing but buzz buz buzz. I am much happier hearing nothing now in that ear after translab!

terisandler

• Radical Mystic
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 02:58:25 pm »
I would beware of a hearing test at a big box store.  I had one in 2011 and the technician tried to sell me their top of the line hearing aids.  I chose not to, particularly due to the sign in the booth advising seeing a physician before purchasing hearing aids.  I moved out of state shortly after and the hearing issue went on the back burner.  Last winter I finally decided to break down and spend the $$$ and had a free audiogram from a local audiologist.  He immediately had his office make an appointment for me to see an ENT, who sent me for an MRI (which confirmed I had an AN) and then set me up with appointments with a radiation oncologist and neurotologist.  If I had purchased the big box store hearing aids I may not have discovered my AN. 
3/25/13- dx 18x11x14 mm AN, hearing loss in right ear x 5+ years, 5 sessions of CK completed May 2013, now a "post toastie".  Follow up MRI 4/14/14 - 15x19x11 mm. Stable with some signs of necrosis.
 Yippee!

sree

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 01:00:00 am »
Thanks a lot for your responses. The test was so confusing so I wanted to make sure that that's the right way to do the testing. You guys answered my question. I am aware of my hearing situation that I don' t have usable hearing left but still hard to believe it will go completely. Reading all your posts gives me some comfort thst Iam not aline :-)
Thanks all

grace

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 09:23:54 am »
I went to get the heaing test in Oct. -the test came out simular to the prior yr when the An was first diagnosed. NOw SInce Jan w/ extreme vertigo I noticed I can't hear much of anything out of the AN ear. Could it grow that quickly? I am afraid to get surgury for any answers are probably time to get surgury. I have isolated myself so getting to and from thses MD's are asking and I hate asking to spend a full day running here and there to get their opinion. Last yr, I did that and just got more confused since all the MD's had 3totaly different treatment plans... ???? Thanks,Grace

kcarloy

• Translab 12/11/13 at House
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 09:05:16 am »
Grace, sometimes they do grow quickly, but they are usually slow growing. More likely is that its grown a little but in a spot that made a big difference. Get it checked out and you will know whats happening on the inside. Karen