Author Topic: My son just diagnosed  (Read 7531 times)

Kathleen_Mc

Re: My son just diagnosed
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005, 05:29:08 pm »
Cory : Attitude, at least a positive one, is your best friend right now. When I was 23 I found out my "psychosomatic" illness (that had been treated with large amounts of drugs) indeed was a brain tumor (a.n.) and a rather large one at that (I do not know measurements). When I went to see the surgeon I was given a 50% chance of surviving the surgery but certain death in a few months without surgery....needless to say I didn't hear much else the man said after that. Within 2 1/2 weeks of diagnoses I went into surgery, it lasted 15-16 hours...I woke up a couple of days later on life support and a lot of pain.....but I walked out of that hospital 9 days later and went home...no need for rehab. I was off work 3 1/2 months and then returned to my full-time nursing job.
Since  that time I have had many plastic repairs done to my face to compensate for the loss of the 7th nerve and 3 weeks ago I returned to the o.r. to have the regrowth of the blasted thing removed (my choice to have it done, not medically necessary at this time but I couldn't live with it psychologically). Regowth was likely due to a cell or two left behind douring the first o.r., I have really bad luck and that happens even more rarely than a.n.'s do to begin with.
Cory, just take it as it comes, read as much factual info. as you can before desiding on treatment and try to keep positive
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

David707

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 05:45:21 pm »
Cory and David,

You have been slient for some time and I am wondering how are you doing.

You have been in my thoughts and prayers a lot.  I pray that you have found the team of doctors that God had prepared for you.  I also pray that you have God' peace with you all the time.  And, hope you have worked out the insurance issue.

Please keep us updated.  I may not be of too much practical help, but I know there are some of us in this forum will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.  God bless you.   

David(707)
2.5cm / Jan'05 / 53 yr
Dr. Vrabec & Dr. Trask / Houston
Excellent outcome and peaceful mind
Praise the lord !

russ

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 11:07:21 pm »
"I feel that this was discovered about 9 years ago at another hospital"

Hello!
  Just thought to mention if you think your son had this at 17 already, he has an increased % chance of having NF-2 ( development of bilateral ANs ). 17 or 26 is pretty young to have an AN.
  Best wishes in this and I would not hesitate to go to a Dr. if any type symptom occurs in the other ear or unusual sensation in any body part in the future.
  Russ

Hello everyone,
My name is David and my son Cory age 26 was just diagnosed with AN. I will try to make a long story short and ask my questions in the process.He went to the hospital on June 16(this year)with complaints of headaches.The diagnosis was made on July 26 and we just found out about it on Sept12,so needless to say our lives at this point are totally upside down.His Dr said that the AN is about the size of a fifty cent piece,so if my figures are correct that would be about 1.5" ?? that equals out to about 3.8 cm and according to the ANA website this is considered a large tumor.Other than the headaches,the only other thing that is different for him he says is that his chin is numb,no balance issues or hearing loss that he can feel.Also I feel that this was discovered about 9 years ago at another hospital,he was there for a head injury and they saw this spot(exactly where the tumor is now) about the size of a pencil eraser,but they thought it was a calcium deposit and said it will always be there to not worry about it.Well here we are now.And for my son I will know as much about this tumor and the removal procedure as I possibly can so that he will have an outcome as positive and complication free as the many other stories that I have read on here in the past 2 days.I have all the literature from the ANA coming in the mail,and we will begin to search for Dr's at that point in time.We live in Michigan,so U of M and Chicago sound like our best bets at this point.Any and all information that anyone can add here will be greatfully appreciated.I have so much been enlightened by all the stories of success on here and the upbeat attitudes that I look forward to becoming a part of this extended family. Have a great day and God Bless each and everyone of you and the Dr's that treat this condition. :)

MSB

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2006, 01:38:03 pm »
Hi everyone!  This is my first post and I want to let David and his son know that I am now 2 months post from my AN surgery in Michigan.  I wanted to offer the name of Dr. Robert Daniels whom is an incrediable physician that treats AN's.  His wealth of knowledge and care for his AN patients is overwhelming.  My wife works at a hospital in Grand Rapids and did all the research on AN's and background work on the physicians.  To David.. if you and your son are near Grand Rapids and still are looking for a physician, please consider Dr. Robert Daniels along with Dr. John Keller (Neuro).  What a faboulous team.
Anyway.. my life is back on track, 70% of the balance is back and I'm having my BAHA 2nd phase of surgery in February.  Good luck to all and THANK you for such support and knowledge!   :)
David, any updates on your son's surgery?