Author Topic: Normal?  (Read 4931 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Normal?
« on: December 22, 2009, 04:22:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure this is normal type of AN stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what happens...

The AN side of my face almost feels "swollen" (like I went a few rounds with Mike Tyson)..  I've also noticed that when I laugh really big (i.e. smile pretty big) that the side of my face and/or the near the jawline on the AN side feels like it's cramping up..  When I stop laughing and "stretch it out", it goes away..

Is this normal?  I presume that it is and residual weakness still present?  It's been going on for some time, but does anyone have an idea if that's a permanent thing or will it go away with time? 

Thanks!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

epc1970

Re: Normal?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
I have the same sensations...not all the time but every once in a while. Especially the swollen feeling. Seems to  be happening less often as time goes by for me.  I just assumed it is part of the recovery of the facial nerve??? I realize that's not much help. sorry.

Erin

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »
Brian ~

Good question.  As someone who never attended medical school I cannot offer a 'professional' opinion.  However, even though I didn't have any facial paralysis or experienced that 'swollen' sensation you describe, the left ('AN side') of my face occasionally does feel a little bit 'tight' when I grin.  It's not a problem and I know I have a perfectly normal smile.  I agree with Erin, it's very likely just nerve regeneration or something like that.  Of course, should this condition intensify or fail to resolve itself at some point, it might be a good idea to contact your doctor - but you already knew that.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Denise S

• from MICHIGAN ツ
    • Denise Sanford's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:27 pm »
Wow Brian, I'm only 8 weeks Middle fossa post op and freaking out because of what seems similar.   I was trying to think of where to post a question: under facial or headache.    Mine isn't really headache, sounds like yours.    I on & off get a 'swelling' feeling on my AN side, sometimes it's almost like it just seems ?puffy?.   

Of course I'm a worry wort and had a bit of additional brain swelling is why I seem more freaked, but after reading the posts you've gotten, sounds like it may be common..???

So, maybe I'll follow along with more of your posts/answers before I freak too much  ;) 

W&W 2 yrs. (due to watching other brain tumor: it's stable)
Left AN:  1.2 cm (kept growing during 2 yr.)MIDDLE FOSSA  11/9/09;  Michigan Ear Institute Dr. Zappia & Pieper
SSD, mild tinnitus, delayed onset of facial paralysis lasting 3-4 weeks, no tears AN side
BAHA surgery 10/2/12 Dr Daniels G.R.,MI

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 08:28:45 pm »
Brian,

First of all, may I say, NO - you're definitely not normal!   :D  he he.... but that's what we love about you.

Anyway, I don't get the swollen feeling, but when I yawn or open wide to floss, I get a cramp from my jaw down into the upper part of my throat/neck.  I had the 7/12 and it pretty much follows right along where my surgery was, so I always just thought it was nerves letting me know they're still there.  I never really thought it was anything to worry about and I sure hope it will go away after time.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 08:57:59 pm »
Lori~
I have what sounds like the same as you but mine is more in a parallel line from my chin down the down the side of the middle of my throat when I am REALLY tired.  It is almost always after I yawn.  It started giving me trouble a couple years after I had the 12/7 - we had moved here and I was teaching and having trouble every afternoon when I was reading our chapter book to the kiddos...we finally figured out the yawning thing and that it was right after lunch and that I was eating a TURKEY sandwich everyday for lunch...no wonder I was tired!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 12:31:38 am »
Never had the swollen feeling Brain,  but try this one on for "normal'

My middle fossa was 5 yrs ago, about 2 yrs ago I started having what I call  "the gush"  First I get a very strange sensation right behind the earlobe in the indentation between the earlobe and the jaw bone, a sensation I can't really describe, not really pain, but first there is the sensation, then as if a faucet has been turned on, in the same location but inside my mouth a flood or "gush" if you will, of salty, metallic tasting fluid flows very rapidly, so fast that I can hardly swallow fast enough to keep it from pooring out of my mouth.  This can last anywhere from 3-10 min, to an hour.  Then it stops and I won't have it happen again for several days. I told my doc about it and he was quite puzzled and didn't have any explanation.  I collected some and they tested if for CSF but it was not.  It had always happened during the day, but over the last 6+ months or so it has been happening in my sleep. I either wake up with a soaking wet pillow, (yes, I know, the visual isn't pretty, night drooling :o)  or more often lately, I wake from a dead sleep choking on my own full mouth of whatever it is because I normally sleep on my back.  I presume the increase in this problem may be due to the regrowth doing something to my facial nerve.  it will be interesting to see if it goes away after surgery #2 next week.  I have a local friend who has had 3 ANs' and several magnanimous, she has the same problem.  She told her doctor that her face was leaking.  LOL

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 01:07:23 pm »
Thanks all for the comments..  I guess "normal" for AN was too strong, but perhaps not abnormal for AN would have been better.  :)  I hope it goes away because I find myself trying NOT to smile big or laugh big for fear of another "cramp".

Jim, I've already decided that when I see my doctor again in May, if it's not gone by then I'll talk to him about it.  It's not tremendously bothersome at this point.

Erin, it's just good to know that I'm not the ONLY one that has these sensations..  I don't like feeling like I'm the ONLY person in the world that deals with this kind of thing.  Luckily with all of these wonderful people here, I have a place to discuss those things and they just get it..

Denise, "puffy" sounds about right..  And, you should ALWAYS follow my posts because I ALWAYS have something meaningful to say..  *snicker*

Lori, I've never really considered myself normal..  I guess I'm in great company, eh?  ;)  Perhaps I'm just hypersensitive to every little creak and "oddity" especially where my head/neck are concerned now..  In fact, been having back pains and can't tell you how many times I find myself convincing myself that I'm NF2 and have tumors growing on my spine thus causing the back soreness... *sigh*

Kay, I have notice it's more pronounced when I'm tired but it certainly does happen quite a bit when I'm not too..  Yeah, a turkey sandwich would make ya tired.. hehe

Patti, ahh... AN, the gift that keeps on giving.  Gotta love the weird stuff that we all have to deal with.  Hopefully, your issue will resolve soon.  I can't say that I have ever had that happen (yet).  :)

Thanks again all!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

cin605

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
So funny i come on n read this post....lately my right cheek has been tightning up n today i look in the mirror(Just to make sure i can still raise my eyebrows ect....never know when your going to need the "stink eye" anyway i did notice it looked puffier than the left....it also happens when i have not taken a rest.
The back side of my tongue slowly leaks the icky tasting nausiating crap that patti mentioned...it has been doing since surgery
when my tongue was swollen for the six months.
Wierd,wierd stuff.
Today i noticed also that i can not hear my watch ticking on the right but can hear it really well on the left.I think its really strange that i pick up some sounds like snapping my fingers but can not pick up rubbing my fingers together or a watch ticking.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:37:31 pm »
cin605,
  so my face is leaking and your tongue is leaking....EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Brian said,  AN,  the gift that keeps on giving.

patti ut 
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year