Author Topic: Best Hearing Aid for.........  (Read 3417 times)

JWW

Best Hearing Aid for.........
« on: August 05, 2012, 11:34:07 am »
Guys, my husband needs a hearing aid but will not get one nor would he most likely be compliant...I don't think. He has psoriasis in his ears and has to use cortisone creams morning and night to control the itching. Any suggestions which hearing aid would be the best for him?

Thanks in advance,

JW

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Best Hearing Aid for.........
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »
You (or your husband) needs to find a good audiologist.  Most of the top brands of hearing aids can be attached to a special type of receiver that fits in the outer ear.  My husband's sister has psoriasis in her ears and has done well with just such receivers.  Hers are made by ReSound but I'm sure Widex or Oticon ones can be attached the same way.

If he is deaf in one ear, there is always the BAHA (Oticon Medical's Ponto or Cochlear) route.

Tell us more.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
This is pretty much a personal choice so, as Clarice suggested, the best idea is for your husband to visit a good audiologist.  He/she should be able to suggest many options based on what your husband is looking for in a hearing aid.

I'm SSD and very partial to my BAHA, but realize it isn't for everyone.

The Phonak Cros has been getting some great reviews recently; but there are a number of excellent choices out there.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sunfish

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 01:41:56 pm »
I have terrible problems with itchy ears, and my ReSound dot220 doesn't help!  But I think it is critical which "dome" they fit on the receiver part that goes in your ears.  I'm thinking that maybe my "dome" is too big, and therefore irritates the ear.

My ENT has me use a solution of 1 part rubbing alcohol and 1 part vinegar, a couple drops in the ear.  He says the alcohol kills anything that might be growing in there and then evaporates quickly.  But the vinegar remains longer, and keeps the ear at the proper pH.  This does work a little for me.  However, I use a teeny tiny bit of cortisone as well.  You have to be really careful about using the cortisone along with the hearing aid, so it doesn't gum things up!  This works quite well.

It takes a lot of patience and commitment to make it successfully through the hearing aid process.  Good luck!
Rt. side 14mm x 11mm near brain stem
Severe higher frequency hearing loss
I use a hearing aid (Dot 20 by Resound)
Balance issues improving!!!!
Cyberknife March17, 2010
Roper Hospital Cancer Center, Charleston, SC