Author Topic: Explaining Symptoms after GK  (Read 2769 times)

sharondaniels

Explaining Symptoms after GK
« on: June 15, 2012, 02:25:13 pm »
I went yesterday 6/14 for my first MRI since GK in Dec.  I didn't have any real issues before and for the last 3mos or so, I feel oddly.  Don't know how to explain it... kind of like whole head fullness....
I wonder if some others might comment on feelings afterwards.  Sometimes I don't feel like I am in my head enough to drive, etc.

thanks in Advance!!
Sharon
 1.5cm AN right side diagnosed 10/12/11
 GK 12/1/11 at UVA
from VA

Bonnie B.

Re: Explaining Symptoms after GK
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 06:57:38 am »
Sharon,
When will you get the results of your MRI?   I had my GK done in March.  I will have my first MRI in September.   I know I will be apprehensive until then.  I certainly don't dwell on it but, it always is in the back of my mind.     I have read on this Forum about swelling with side effects anywhere from four to eight months after GK/CK.   We are leaving on a two week cruise at the beginning of July and hopefully,  no side effects from swelling with occur.  Good luck and let us know your results.
1.7 cm AN
diagnosed January, 2012 - no hearing L ear
GK surgery done March 15, 2012 at Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Ct.
Dr. Chiang and Dr. Yu

Vivian B.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:57:20 am »
Hi Bonnie,

I also have a meningioma and was fine right after GK, but after a few weeks, had to take about four weeks off work. I had the same symptoms as you, feeling like you are not quite in your own head. Sounds odd but I know exactly what you mean. Anyway, following that period, I had my 6 month MRI and everything was fine. Don't forget that GK does not work right on the same day, it's a process, so the symptoms could be a number of things related to the death of this very odd tumor.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 11:27:18 pm »
Sharon, what you're feeling is completely normal after getting radiation. It's almost certainly due to side effects (such as tumor swelling or balance-nerve irritation) from your GK treatment. If it's swelling, it may be "clinical" (internal) and not causing an increase in tumor size. The good news is it should completely resolve over the course of the next few months.

Best wishes,
TW
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

sharondaniels

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 06:39:23 pm »
Thanks everyone.  I did get the official reading of the MRI as stable..... and less dense.  No increase in size.  So I go back in 6mos.  It is comforting to know that it didnt grow to the size of a baseball!!!  Imagination had certainly gotten the better of me. 
thank you for all the comments.
Sharon
 1.5cm AN right side diagnosed 10/12/11
 GK 12/1/11 at UVA
from VA