Author Topic: Appointment set for CK with Dr. Chang  (Read 3675 times)

AZ JB

Appointment set for CK with Dr. Chang
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:15:47 pm »
Well, the countdown has begun.  Bob had thought he'd try to W & W until he retired (he's 60), but after meeting with Dr. Chang in March he changed his mind.  Dr. Chang told him the argument for having it done sooner rather than later is that the symptoms you go into the procedure with are usually the ones you come out with & normally will not experience any new ones.  He said there's also a greater chance of preserving his hearing.  Other than constant Tinnitus, being extremely tired, some headaches & fullness, Bob is fortunate to not have some of the symptoms a lot of you have, so he thought it made sense to act on it now.  He actually was planning on having it done in May but developed another condition (PMR) that prevented it.  They say the PMR is not related to the AN, but the stress of dealing with it might have triggered the condition...  They finally got that under control so we're now getting going again.  Anyhow, we fly into Palo Alto on Sun., July 29th & begin the pre op stuff on Mon. with radiation being Wed. the 1st of Aug. - Fri., the 4th.  A question for those of you who had CK -- would you have been able to fly home the day it was completed?  We scheduled our flights for a day later, but were wondering if we should wait & fly home Sun. or if he's up to it, fly home Fri. late afternoon???  Also, was flying a problem?  Living in AZ, I could certainly drive if that would be easier for him.  I'm sure dreading this for Bob, but it will also be good to get this step behind us!

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
Re: Appointment set for CK with Dr. Chang
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 03:23:51 pm »
To answer your question about flying the last day of treatment.  Let me just say that I had CK almost two years ago and I drove myself to and from each treatment and in fact went to work after them.  Looking back if I had to fly I don't think it would have been a problem for me.  Just two days after treatment my wife and I took a trip.

Best of Luck

TJ

AZ JB

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:27 pm »
Thanks TJ -- that's encouraging!  I hope it goes as well for Bob.  Did you have your CK done at Stanford?  How are you doing now?  Was it true for you that you pretty much had the same symptoms (& no additional ones) after your procedure?  Did you experience side effects of the tumor swelling at around a yr. or so?  Sorry for the 20 questions!  We sure do appreciate all the support & feed back from you post ANs!

Judy   

TXAN

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 04:33:31 pm »
I also had CK at Stanford nearly 2 years ago with Dr. Chang. My post-treatment symptoms are very much the same as pre-treatment. I drove to and back from the hotel after each treatment. I am happy with my decision.

It is what it is

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 10:36:51 pm »
I wish good things for you regarding your CK Bob!  I'll be having middle fossa surgery on the same day you begin your radiosurgery. 

Karen
.7cm, left side AN , Tinnitus, Hearing preserved, Middle Fossa 8/1/12 at HEI, Drs Friedman and Schwartz, Sharing your story is extremely helpful to me.

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:32:25 am »
Judy

To answer your question, no I did not have it done at Stanford.  My insurance did not allow me to go there.  I am almost two years out and I am doing fine. The side effects are pretty much the same.  Right after CK the tumor does swell up and can cause additional side effects, each person will be different.  The size and location of the tumor plays a big part in that.  At first I did have more balance issues, but that has calmed down now.  The only one that still is a pest is that I have increased tinnitus since the CK.

TJ

Tisha

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:22:11 pm »
I had mine done at Stanford and I felt perfectly well all 3 days afterwards.  Traveled, toured, drank...as if nothing had happened.  Most likely he'll feel fine to travel.  Good luck! 

P.S.  If you are not from around there, plan on touring! 
1.7 x 1.0 x .9 cm (diagnosed Oct 2008)
1.8 x 1.2 x 1.1 cm  (July 2010-swelling)
1.5 x .9 x .9 cm  (Mar 2013 - 5 yr MRI)
Cyberknife at Stanford, week of 1/12/09 -  Drs. Chang and Soltys

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:49 am »
Dr. Chang has a reputation of being one of the best when it comes to CK.

Bob is in great hands.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways