Author Topic: Here's a provocative question  (Read 23831 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Here's a provocative question
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2008, 08:37:59 pm »

for those bold enough to look, here is a link to a picture of my wife and I at our clan society banquet. Excuse the fish backgroun, but it was in a lodge in Portland I guess that was the decor.  ;D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41868789@N00/2739987645/in/set-72157606518029312/

mark

What a handsome lad! Thanks for sharing your wee bit of Irish (oops Scottish) dress:-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 10:11:52 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2008, 08:44:39 pm »
I think I'll have to have some chocolate and wash it down with a nice, cold beer while I ponder this subject.   :D

AMD - I'll be right with you - I think we're both in trouble!  We won't even be able to hear each other say "pass the chocolate, please".

Lori

Ha Ha!!!!  That's too funny.  We can just utter "Huh??" as we are wiping the remainder of the Hershey kisses from our faces....   

And as far as a lot of our Irish heritages go, we can be so proud....first beer and kilts, along with an insatiable love of chocolate, only to develop AN's.  If we only knew....   We must be the party animals of the tumor world....

Amy
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

Mark

« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2008, 08:53:15 pm »
Thanks Kate, Actually, that's my highland clan tartan so you'd give my scottish cousins a coronary calling it irish  ;D, but if I ever decide to add the Douglas kilt to the wardrobe, then certainly my Irish side will be on display  ;)
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:52 am »
Thanks Kate, Actually, that's my highland clan tartan so you'd give my scottish cousins a coronary calling it irish  ;D, but if I ever decide to add the Douglas kilt to the wardrobe, then certainly my Irish side will be on display  ;)

How come your legs look better in a skirt than mine?  ;D

Thanks for sharing Mark... you both look great and hellos to that lovely wife of your's for me!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 09:25:55 am »
Who knew men could look so stunning in a skirt?   ;)

A friend of mine married a Scottish girl and wore the whole Scot ensemble for his wedding.  I think he spent more time trying to get dressed for the big event than she did!  Never having worn a kilt or knee socks, he was a bit confused on how to work everything.  I have to say, the was the first (and last) time I ever had to help a man put on a skirt.   :D

Amy, we can definitely be the party animals - and we'll probably never complain that the music is too loud! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JulieE

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 11:13:17 am »
Mark, Yep, looks good - rivals even the most dapper Double Breasted suit!
Lori,
I have to say, the was the first (and last) time I ever had to help a man put on a skirt.
-That's funny!  Neat how we're gifted with memories...although my short term is scarily gone!
J

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2008, 07:06:51 pm »
Seems like this post is going everywhere, but I thought this was interesting.  She would have to back it up, but I think ColoradoGal told me her "old" college roommate also has an AN.  Could it be AN by association?  I think that is just freaky!!!

Nancy :o
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

LADavid

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 12:52:14 pm »
 :D  This thread is still going!!!!  We're bound to get an answer yet.  But I have a question for you, Nancy.  Did Coloradogals college roommate live in the Rockies?  I swear there is an AN epidemic going on there.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

JulieE

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 01:08:41 pm »
So Coors is the connection then...?!
Jules

LADavid

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 01:20:50 pm »
Jules

Back in the 80's, when Coors came East, I drank a lot of it.  It was also at that time when I developed tinnitus.  Hmmmm.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

lori67

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2008, 03:44:36 pm »
Oh, now wait a minute... we may be onto something here...

Everyone knows the preferred beer of everyone in Jersey is Coors Light.....and there are a lot of us from NJ here.  And there are fish there and Scottish people who talk on cell phones....

So the connection lies somewhere between New Jersey and Colorado.  Okay... we're making progress in figuring this thing out.

Lori, P.I.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2008, 05:11:44 pm »
My race is 1/2 Japanese & half American....Amerasian...LOL.....
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

LADavid

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2008, 08:06:27 pm »
Ah but is that part of Mindyandy -- Andy which could stand for Andrew or Andrews which could be Scot who wear kilts and may work in fish hatcheries and drink beer if male or eat chocolate (craves it) if female or beer if you live in New Jersey.  I think we're narrowing this gene down and what provokes it.  I hope the academic community is taking note.  And Lori, maybe it could be fish that are exposed to beer-drinking kilt-wearing cellphone users.  I think I'm getting confused with this proliferation of fact.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

lori67

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2008, 08:50:29 pm »
I still think we should be able to get a research grant for this.  Look how much we've figured out on our own already!  No telling what we could do if we had a little cash to invest.

Lori

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2008, 10:39:29 pm »
Hi LADavid,

To answer your question about ColoradoGal going to college in CO, I had to look back in my PMs, and I didn't find the college.  She grew up in Ohio, I think.  I also noticed in addition to her roommate having an AN, another one of her roommates at the same college had some other type of benign brain tumor.  As for Coors, I really don't drink it much (Miller Lite for me), but I do like tubing down the stream that runs right past the Coors plant.  Maybe I have been tubing in Coors beer all of these years.  WOW, Coors causing ANs . . . and there are fish in that stream also.  Must run out and warn the fisherman . . . . . .

Colorado is really a great place to live . . . . but, don't move here . . . .We are all "full up"!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs