Author Topic: Here's a provocative question  (Read 23831 times)

LADavid

Re: Here's a provocative question
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 05:54:12 pm »
Lori -- Trash talk, I guess ;D.  I'm thinking there must also be a male correlation.  Is beer the male version of chocolate?  

BTW, Lori, I've noticed on quite a few threads how the discussion detours to chocolate.  Maybe there needs to be a topic devoted to chocolate. ;)

So now all this seems to be a mutant gene that exists primarily in those with European ancestory (specifically Irish as it was mentioned quite a few times in those of us mixed-breeds) but introduced to the Far East by Marco Polo where, like Western Europe, massive quantities of fish are consumed, beer drunk and chocolate eaten.  So this gene generally lies dormant unless provoked by a steady diet of fish and chips (potatoes -- the Irish connection), slugged down with beer, and polished off with chocolate cake.  And if you live in New England, you're even more suseptible (maybe it has something to do with Cod or Haddock).  And this finally puts an end to those really off-the-wall cell-phone therories (that are obviously conjured up by envious land-line users).  Hey this research stuff is easy.  When do we get the Grant?

David (Sunday evening boredom)

Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

AMD

• I'm sorry, could you repeat that?
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 07:13:30 pm »
If my enormous chocolate consumption is to blame for my AN, then my right ear is gonna be in for something too....  but, i'm not gonna stop eating it!!! hee hee
Left side 1.7 cm AN diagnosed 7/30/08
Misdiagnosed for 8 + years
Surgery, Sub-occipital, 11/17/2008 at Indiana University Hospital
Left SSD
Tumor much larger than expected. Facial nerves intact, but had RARE swelling resulting in brachial plexus injury and tracheostomy after surgery.

lori67

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 07:47:50 pm »
I think I'll have to have some chocolate and wash it down with a nice, cold beer while I ponder this subject.   :D

AMD - I'll be right with you - I think we're both in trouble!  We won't even be able to hear each other say "pass the chocolate, please".

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 08:38:50 pm »

BTW, Lori, I've noticed on quite a few threads how the discussion detours to chocolate.  Maybe there needs to be a topic devoted to chocolate. ;)

Not a bad idea! 
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

JulieE

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 08:59:56 pm »
You guys are having too much fun!  I want to join in: I'm Norwegian and Irish. I also want to add that when I read Steve's good humored thread on the ridiculous connection to the fish Hatcherie I laughed - until I read the article...Someone who worked at a fish hatchery probably ate alot of fish:  goes back to my heavy metals theory!  Actually, I read that in Norway where they do Autopsies automatically, they found that 10% of all Norwegians had ANs at their time of death, unbeknownst to them.  ANs, however, didn't usually cause the death.  Norwegians eat alot of fish; but I grant you that lutefisk (fish soaked in lye) is more likely to make you regurgitate than develop an AN!  I eat more than my share of all other fish, though.  Also, more than my share of chocolate and beer too.  And although I'm not Scottish, I like men in kilts...does that count for anything?   ;)
I make light of it, but I'm glad you brought the query up David, I think it is good to ask questions/ take a stab at potential causes, etc.  Even if we don't find the cause, we'll have fun trying.
Jules
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 06:40:00 am by JulieE »

LADavid

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 09:38:56 pm »
Jules
That is exactly it.  You'll never find the answers until you ask the questions.  Crazy and as wild as they may be, somewhere there may be an obvious solution in the midst of those questions.

Kilts?  Could it be?  I have kilts of the Clan Donald.  How many others of you who eat a lot of fish and drink beer and eat chocolate have kilts.  This could be something big.

BTW, Jules, you had your AN surgery on my birthday.  I would have had a second beer (make that third, fourth, hmm one does lose count) in honor of your surgery had I known.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

JulieE

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2008, 06:43:15 am »
Double the reason to have a bit of malty goodness then!  (Spoke with my best Scottish accent, of course!)
Jules

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:22 am »
OK I need help, I looked at the AN calendar and if I'm not mistaken our next surgery person is Cathy B.  I don't know how to send this person an email so I can get going and mail it to her.  Her surgery is scheduled for August 21.....Thanks anyone!!!
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:16 pm »
Cathy has apparently chosen to 'hide' her e-mail address.  However, you may send her a Personal Message ('PM') through this website by going here:

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=929.

Thanks for being so considerate.  I'm sure Cathy will appreciate it.  :)

Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:16:07 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Lamsue23

• My "Magic AN Scarf" l day after surgery!
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »
Thank you Jim I just PM her............
SueL/from NH
Retrosigmoid Surgery 8/6/2008 DHMC, Lebanon, NH 7.5 hrs.
Dr. Erkmen - neurosurgeon
Dr. Morrisson - neuro-ostology
Loss of hearing 70% in left ear.
Vision and Balance issues...Taste!!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 06:40:25 pm »
LADavid..........I have a kilt, do you suppose something in the wool? or maybe an unfortunate breeze?  On a serious note, I think the Irish have a common thread here.
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:35 pm »
Hmmmm...
My ancestry is 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Italian, and 1/2 Polish...(The classic 3 immigrant groups to Chicago at the turn of the century)...

A chocolate covered shamrock anyone?

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Lainie181818

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:47 pm »
Hey David,
I have some scientific data myself.
Drinking Bud lite, coors lite, white zin
Wearing "Croc " shoes [ these should only be worn while gardening, or escaping a fire "
Sitting reclined on " Lazy boy recliner" with pants button undone, remote in hand, Sorry guys or girls.
Drinking all of the above wearing "crocs" and a Kilt.
Lainie

JulieE

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2008, 07:48:21 pm »
Escaping a fire? You would have to elaborate on that one...!
Jluie

Mark

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2008, 07:49:24 pm »
I can't believe after all these years the word "kilt" has made it into an ANA thread. 50 /50 scots /irish and the proud owner of two kilts , each in a different version of my primary Scottish clan tartan. It is also my tux, so if you invite me to any formal event you get me in a skirt and prince charlie jacket.

for those bold enough to look, here is a link to a picture of my wife and I at our clan society banquet. Excuse the fish backgroun, but it was in a lodge in Portland I guess that was the decor.  ;D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41868789@N00/2739987645/in/set-72157606518029312/

mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001