Author Topic: ears "popping"  (Read 5648 times)

marie

ears "popping"
« on: March 20, 2006, 07:55:56 am »
I have been watching my second-side AN since 1993.  Annual MRIs indicate slow but continuous growth.  Within the last month it feels as if air bubbles are popping just behind the eardrum.  This weekend it happened on the left side, too (deaf). These episodes are not continuous and somewhat intermittent.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?  Is/has anyone else had this happen? 
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: ears "popping"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:14 am »
Hi Marie,

I don't have the "popping" as you note.. only the clogged "full" feeling.  Will watch this thread to see if others have experienced the "popping".

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

nannettesea

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:51:34 am »
Marie-
At the same time I got sick, I have had popping in my non-AN ear.  docs just say it's the eustachian tube and not related.  I was fearful cause I thought something was wrong with the non-AN ear.  does it feel like that kind of popping?  anyway, they continue to tell me it's nothing.

I also have fullness in the an ear, post-op.
Nan
1.7cm x 1.4cm x .8cm, right ear
Trans-lab approach
Dr. Jay Rubinstein, U of WA
8/29/05

matti

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 11:13:26 am »
I have a crackling/popping in my non-AN ear. My doctor said it was fluid in the eustachian tube. It is more pronounced during allergy season, but I do notice it pretty much every day.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

russ

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:13:06 pm »
Hi
  I have the popping. Yes, either 'E-tube' or a variety of tinnitus. Not much can be done here.   -Russ

Static

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 04:18:12 pm »
Before surgery I didn't have popping, but whenever the wind would blow or there was a slight breeze I could hear a whistle in my ear.  Not sure what that was about  :-\ 
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Windsong

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:50:12 pm »
If your popping in your ear is due to fluid build up in the middle ear (whether due to eustachian tube malfunctioning or some other chronic ear problem, like chronic otitis media for example) the popping can be eliminated by tubes in the eardrum. (plus the fluid drains nicely)....It equalizes the pressure in your ear and even makes flying in planes a breeze. Maybe ask your doctor if this is causing your popping? maybe he/she will have an answer of some kind.

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:53:55 pm »
Marie,

I get popping intermittantly as well. In both good and bad ears.

I had it checked out oz was worried about good ear. It was an infection / fluid build up. Stretching the jaw (big yawns help a little. Grommets in the ear is an option - but research it first. Otherwise, just ride it out. If you are still concerned, get an MRI done to check.

cheers

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

marie

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:56:24 pm »
Thank you for the feedback.  I'm just now getting to read these because I had to take my laptop to the computer "hospital".  (It feels  much better now.)  I have annual MRIs  and will be having another in a few months.  In the meantime, I will make an appointment with my ENT. 

By the way,  I'm a former teacher, too.  Had to quit teaching because I lost my strong teaching voice as a result of the surgery.   I didn't know it until I tried to teach again.  The students kept saying they coouldn't hear me.  Inside my head I sounded the same as before. 
I decided to get my certification for secondary school librarian.  After I finised it we moved back to Arkansas and the requirements were different.  Tired of going to school, I decided to do more of the cleaning, painting, managing the few rentals we had accumulated.  How do I retire from this?   

I'm looking at another AN surgery and I'm worried about having headaches, dizzines, etc. that I've read that so many of you have (that I haven't had in the first 4 times)
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

antoinette

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 07:36:27 am »
I had "ear popping" for about 3 years, but it was not the first symptoms. It was about seven years down after the first symptoms,, vertigo, and nausea, then after falling due to the vertigo (I broke rigs 4 times) sudden  loss of hearing, while tinnitus started soon. Then feeling like concrete was filling my ear and the left side of my head, more falls, and tinnitus changing tone and volume, popping of the ear drum, white flqashes when there was a sudden noise. All this was sort of shrugs by my GP as I had a car accident in 90 and it was considered as the outcome of it. Can a "whiplash" do all that to a person? Are doctors too complaisant for their own lack of Dx?
antoinette