Author Topic: Giving Thanks!  (Read 4028 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Giving Thanks!
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »
Hi Family!

I'm sorry if I've been a bit absent lately. My dear husband and cabin boy, Dr Love, had back surgery, and our roles got reversed for a change and I became the caregiver for almost a month during his "breakdown" and recovery, and boy, did I get to know a little of what he got to go through during my surgery and recovery, but on a smaller scale, no doubt.  Of course all the stress lead me to get a few  brainwrecks and a bad cold during all this mess, leaving both of us moaning and groaning and incapacitated for a few days.  Today is the first day we have both been back at "work", he went and scraped the paint off a few windows at a house he's in the middle of remodeling and I cleaned up my studio after the last painting session the previous month.

I just wanted to start a gratitude thread for Thanksgiving, not only for this life-saving support system and the people on it, but also for my stepson and daughter-in-law, who got my hubby and me to his docs appointments and shuttled us around to the hospital and made  it so I never had to drive on the freeway or in traffic! (They even let me go trick or treating with the grandscallywags--seems they don't mind having a nutball for a stepgranny to their kids.) I don't know where I'd be with out them and my dear Dr Love.

Despite the headaches, balance problems, lack of hearing and financial woes due to high prescription costs thanks to
our cruddy healthcare system, I've come to the realization that nobody's life is perfect. Everyone gets something. Thank God I worked out most of my emotional scars years ago and now all I have to deal with is this physical bugger!

I don't know what I'd be up to had I not found this forum--it sure helps to know I'm not alone out there dealing with this stuff. So thank you ANA for hosting this site and thank you each Forum member, all 2709 of you for showing up and posting your hopes, fears, and aspirations on this board--you continue to inspire me on a daily basis and I hope I can be a help to you.

So...... what are you grateful for?

OK enough mushy stuff, lets dance!!!!!

Have a Happy Turkey Day everyone!!!

Be Well and Sail On!

Capt Deb

« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 09:06:05 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Giving Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 05:51:18 pm »
As a PS to the above post--tomorrow is the 5 year anniversary of my AN diagnosis--admitted to the hospital with a migraine and kept there overnight because of the SSD thanks to a very vigilant doc who suspected an AN and didn't want me walking around without me getting an MRI just in case it was huge and causing hydrocephalus, grateful for him, too!

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 07:22:04 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 05:54:32 pm »

I don't know what I'd be up to had I not found this forum--it sure helps to know I'm not alone out there dealing with this stuff. So thank you ANA for hosting this site and thank you each Forum member, all 2709 of you for showing up and posting your hopes, fears, and aspirations on this board--you continue to inspire me on a daily basis and I hope I can be a help to you.

Captain Deb -

I second this emotion.  I have found the forum and it's members to be great sources of hope and inspiration, as well as amusement and knowledge, which have all made my "AN ride" more tolerable. 

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for everyone here.  I'm thankful for my family - who helped me through my surgery and recovery - I couldn't have done it physically or emotionally without their support.   I'm also thankful for my fabulous doctors - who gave it their all and left me with the best outcome I could have reasonably expected.

I never asked for an AN, but as you say "nobody's life is perfect.  Everyone gets something".  My something could have been a whole lot worse; I'm thankful it wasn't.

Jan

BTW - love the dancing turkey.  I'm not computer literate enough to attempt something so daring.  I wouldn't even know where to start  ;D   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mindyandy

• Loving Life
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 08:48:39 pm »
YES HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYBODY HERE!!!!!! ;D
I do love everybodys support and imput. Everybodys stories and experiences help a tremendously. I'm glad to call everybody FAMILY.
HUGS AND KISSES TO EVERYBODY I'M THANKFUL FOR ALL OF MY FAMILY.
Mindy
14mm dx 9/07. CK done Seattle  1 year MRI showed some shrinkage. 4 year MRI 2mm growth nothing conclusive. Trigminal nerve involvment Retrosigmoid Friedmand/Schwartz HEI March 7,2012

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 06:19:54 am »
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I give thanks to all who have listen to my rants and raves and who have gotten me through the very lowest moments in my life.  The personal notes.  The cyber hugs, the caring atttitudes, the laughter, the tears.  If I hadn't found this forum I know that I wouldn't be celebrating Thanksgiving this week.  Like all of the rest of you, I slapped myself up side the head (the still numb side thank you very much, I'm not that dumb!) and said yes what these people are telling me is true there is soooooooooo very much to be thankful for.  I don't have to listen to hubby snore, I can turn out the teen grand kids bickering, I can plead a headaches to not go somewhere or just say no.  Couldn't or didn't do that before.  Now I am going to be very thankful that I can get ready to have sixteen friends and family for a wonderful, Thankful dinner on Thursday.  Cap. Deb, thank you for starting this thread!

Love and hugs to all,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Raydean

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 05:09:02 pm »
Thanks Deb for starting this thread, great idea.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday and like most of you I tend to count my blessings more around this time of year, or at least be more aware of the blessings around me.  (more on that on a different thread)

Included in the things that I am thankful for is the AN.  It was a huge wake up call.  The AN  and outcomes took alot, but it also gave back to us.  It caused us to slow down and focus on what was important.  It gave us 10 years, our bonus time,  I am so thankful for the past ten years!!!!

It also added to my family.  I am blessed to have 3 adult children and a grandson who is the joy of my life.  I am also very blessed to have my AN family, for that is what you are.  I could never put into words how grateful I am, or what you mean to me.  You stood by me and with me when i needed you the most.  You became sister's and brothers of my heart   I am truly thankful for each of you

Hugs and Love
Raydean

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 07:21:51 pm »
Hello everyone,

I too love thanksgiving, but being Canadian I celebrated last month.  It was a gorgeous day, family, friends and a lovely dinner at my house.

Now I have to ask a very silly question......remember I'm Canadian.  Why do you celebrate on the 3rd Thursday of November? 

I can smell the turkey and stuffing.  Not a pumpkin pie fan but I can taste the apple pie.  Wishing all of my American AN family a very Happy Thanksgiving. 

I love this forum.  I'm very grateful for the knowledge, the sense of humour, the tears, the hope and the strength I have received.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

goinbatty

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:53 pm »
I too love the Thanksgiving holiday.  For all the life stressors my family has endured this past year, it is truly a time to reflect and be thankful.  And of course eat loads of turkey!!  Seriously, I am so thankful I found this forum early on after being diagnosed.  You all are such a great source of knowledge, inspiration and hope. 
And Deb, thank you so much for the dancing turkey.  It truly made my day. 
I hope everyone has a great holiday!!
Sandra
1/2007 - 6 x 4.5 mm AN
8/2007 - 9 x 6 mm
CK at Georgetown 1/7/08-1/11/08; Dr. Gagnon
3/2008 - 10 x 7 mm
7/2008 - 9 x 10 x 6 mm (NECROTIC CENTER!!!!!)
5/2009 - no change/stable
4/2010 - 10 x 7 x 6 mm; stable/no change
5/2011 - 10 x 7; stable/no change
6/2012 - 8.1 x 7 mm
4/2014 - stable/no change

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 11:24:38 pm »
Deb glad to hear Dr. Love is doing well since his surgery.

I'm thankful for my ana family who have gotten me through some rough spots. Though I haven't been around the forum much lately do the demands of school, I do constantly think about all I've met and all I've yet to meet and know this place is a great place to find friendship, answers, support, and information.

I'm also thankful for my sweetie, Chris, who at 17 is trying to make a difference in our world by doing a study on the cognitive effects of AN's. I couldn't ask for a better kid!

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Post Thanksgiving to our neighbors to the north!

M

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 08:54:51 am »
(Deb, LURVEEEEEEE the new piccie! :) )

Now living in a multi-national home, I sit back and reflect on this past year and what all I am thankful as the love of my life also learns about American Thanksgiving.  I reflect on my new life with my new husband and the challenges we over-came to get him into the States.  How blessed am I that I have a man who loves me beyond life itself?  I sit back and reflect on my family... and my new extended (by marriage) family.  How blessed am I that they support me, regardless of choices I make in my life?  I sit back and look at my friends... those that are truly unconditional, good-hearted souls that tolerate me, are always there for me and not ones to judge?  How blessed am I that I have folks in my life that truly rock my world?  I sit back and ponder my mental strength... and just how far it has brought me in this past year, over so many obstacles.  Oh, the obstacles!  Physical challenges, emotional challenges, financial challenges, etc.... but, I forge along.  How blessed am I that regardless of what obstacles come my way, I have mental strength to conquer.

But, most of all...... I sit back and realize just how blessed I am that life is good....  and throughout all of life's challenges, I am surrounded by terrific folks, such as yourselves, that bring inner peace to me... just as much as I hope I can bring to you.

My wishes for a happy, safe holiday season to you all!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Richey

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 07:11:30 pm »
About this time of the year in 2004 I was bouncing around from one doctor to another tying to figure out why I was bouncing off walls as I tried to walk down hallways at work and why my head felt like it was half stuffed with cotton or insulation.
  Now three years later after a Christmas eve call with the AN diagnosis back in 2004, I am doing OK minus my hearing on the left and plus a big dose of radiation per GK. My balance is much better than back then and I don't really know why.
  I was blessed with the chance to take advantage of an early retirement package back in June and then in July I was blessed with a new grandson. He is bringing my wife and I a lot of joy and being at home I get to see him more than if I was still working. My wife of 34 years has been my constant support over this time. My two boys and their wives are doing great and I still have both of my parents, both are 82 years old.
  In this great, blessed country we have much in material things that God has blessed us with and we have young men and women who are willing to carry the torch of freedom to people around the world.
  I have a personal savior in Jesus Christ who afforded me salvation and a promise of a home in heaven one day.
  These are a few of the things that I am thankful for and I have accepted that I have a "NEW NORMAL" as an AN person and I can live with it and it has given me a better appreciation for others who are going through health issues.

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING EVERYONE

AND GO-COWBOYS

Denise

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 02:27:57 pm »
Nice post Deb, i am happy all is well at your home.
4+ cm, left side
translab 5/9/2005
CSF leak repair 6/23/2005
platinum weight in left eye 11/9/05
12/7 nerve switch 8/3/06
Univ. of MN Drs. Levine/Haines