Author Topic: Must Read "Hell in the Head"  (Read 2780 times)

Jackie

Must Read "Hell in the Head"
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Just finished reading my copy of David Shannon's (AKA LADavid) book "Hell in the Head" and cannot praise him enough! This is a must read for all ANer's
just diagnosed, Watching and Waiting, and Posties, as he covers all topics relative to surgical procedures and potential outcomes! I loved the book and send my congratulations to David for his candid, real life experience! Bless you for your endurance and your sacrifices to bring the truth to light.

Jackie in Oregon
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Must Read "Hell in the Head"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:17:08 am »
This is a wonderful book and David did a great job writing it.

However, I think that it's very important to keep in perspective that this is David's story and it's unique to him.  While others have experienced some of what he's been through - and unfortunately he's been through a lot - not everyone has this tough a time post op.  David does a good job of pointing this out in the book, and his main goal from I picked up on, is making sure AN patients are aware of what could happen. 

It's sad to me - as well as disappointing - that David's doctors didn't give him the full picture of what he might possibly face post op.  I was fortunate enough to have a doctor who disclosed everything completely and I knew exactly what I could be facing.  Though frightening at the time, I'm grateful he thinks enough of me - and his other patients - to be honest and upfront.

It's my hope that David's book will help those with ANs be fully informed.  I commend him for sharing his experience.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

alabamajane

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:54:53 am »
I have read his book also and found it to be very interesting and thought-provoking.. and true! He mentions several times that this is just his journey and as is said many times on here "individual results may vary........ " ( is that right Phyl??   ;) ) however, I beleive what he has to say and the "layman's " terms he uses are very helpful to those who are considering treatment of any sort.

I think the resources and tips he gives are something not easily found by "newbies" and therefore invaluable.. I highly recommend it to anyone pre or post treatment or w&w....I would have found it very helpful before surgery .. and unfortunately,, much of what he says happens far too often to patients..even with the "best" of doctors... thanks again David! Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:55:50 am »
Thank you so much, Jackie for this post.  I am honored to have a fellow ANer write such an excellent review.  And thank you Jan and Jane, and the rest of you who bought and read the book (and thank you Jane for your Amazon review).  And just to restate what you all said, we all experienced the same thing differently.  Not one story fits all.  But if you come out on the postie downside of things, I wanted to give that perspective.  Thanks again, Jackie!
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
David wrote it in people-ese. Doctor jargon sometimes confuses me. Should say it almost always does. There were several paralells between my journey and his but tbey were vastly different at same time. Written from a patients point of view not a doctor's makes a big differences . No doctor treating you can fully "get it" if they have not personally suffered from a condition they are treating. David did a great job.
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery