Author Topic: BAHA question  (Read 2961 times)

sarahinPA

BAHA question
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:54:38 pm »
Tomorrow is surgery and although I want to try this SSD stuff before discussing options, I do have one questions that has been weighing on me for a while now, it may sound silly, but Im really very curious.

With the BAHA ( i looked it up and pictures online) how does it effect brushing of the hair, and how large is the device? Does it stick out of the hair when you put it in? just trying to gauge how large it is, as the pictures I have seen dont help too much.

Thanks all.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

Kencutus

• "Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Re: BAHA question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:22 pm »
Hi Sarah,  Answer to your question depends on where they locate your abutment on your side of the head.  If you wear a hat often, I suggest if you can bring your favorite hat with you to OR so surgeon can mark the spot for the abutment before surgery.  Do you have long thick hair or do you have short hair?  As for brushing your hair,  you kinda have to learn that it's there so you know where to comb or brush your hair over the BAHA.   Both of my BAHA are located behind my ears so that's not a problem for me.  Matter of fact, I can leave my BAHA on while barber cuts my hair these days.  I used to have to take off my hearing aid before he can cut my hair. Now, I can carry on a conversation in the barber shop and I think it's pretty cool.  Baha is not that big and you have to remember when you hug someone and be careful not to squeeze close to the baha side of your head because it may squeal or fall off. You do have to take it off when shower, swimming, or sleeping.  Don't worry, they will give your instructions on post-op care and show you how to use your BAHA at your turn on date.  And most important, do ask questions about post-op care.   Hope this helps. ;)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:16:58 pm by Kencutus »
"Hearing Resistance is Futile!"
Treacher Collin's Syndrome
First surgery left side 12-08, Baha Intenso 3-09
Abbutment came loose on 5-09
Bilateral Baha surgery 6-09 Baha refitted 9-09
Richard & Mark Wiet MD from Ear Institute of Chicago.

dalern

• My glass is always half full
    • www.dalebarnesrn.com
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:26:29 pm »
I do not brush my hair when my BAHA is on, but rather when it is off and I just have the abutment in my head.  I have had no trouble blow drying my hair or brushing.  My abutment is above my ear.  My hair does cover it.  If you had a crew cut, it would be very visible, but I assume you don't have a crew cut!  Hope that helps.
~Dale
PS  It's approximately an inch-inch and a quarter long, about 3/4 inch wide (maybe an inch) and about a 1/2 inch thick.
Dale Barnes, RN, MSN, CLNC
Tarzana, CA
1998 Sudden Onset Idiopathic Sensorineural  hearing loss diagnosed at House Ear Institute, Los Angeles
BAHA June 30, 2010 Dr. Jeffrey Harris UCSD San Diego

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:45 pm »
Sarah -  no question is ever silly; so ask away - never hesitate.

Brushing and/or combing my hair with a BAHA abutment in my skull isn't an issue for me.  Only thing that sometimes occurs is that I hear a "click" when the comb or brush comes into contact with it.  No pain, just a noise.

My BAHA site is directly over my AN surgery site (retrosigmoid approach) which is slightly above and behind my ear.  The abutment hardly sticks out at all - I'd estimate there's only about 1/8" between it and my skull.  BAHA sites also sink a little, so that helps.

The "device" (processor) is about the size of the first digit of your thumb - from the tip to the first knuckle.  Here is a link that shows my processor (a Divino at the time).   http://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=6634.msg65388#msg65388

When I wear my processor, it obviously sticks out a little - but it's nothing that my hair doesn't cover.  I wear my hair fairly short - collar length - and it's never been an issue for me.  If you were standing behind me and looking at my head, you'd be hard pressed to see it, even if you knew it was there.  This is pretty much true for most women - our hair covers it.  Men, who wear their hair short, usually have more noticeable processors.  Processors come in different colors, which helps them blend in with your hair.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:38:28 pm »
Sarah .....

I agree with the others.  Brushing my hair is not an issue, although since mine is still "fresh" at almost three months, I am careful not to brush hard right across it.  Like Jan, I hear the click if I touch it but no pain or discomfort whatsoever.  Mine is a bit higher than some others because my doctor wanted to stay away from the titanium mesh of my two surgeries on that side.

I have a Ponto Pro processor, made by Oticon Medical and it is more tear-shaped than Cochlear's, which is more rectangular.  Both are about the same size in length.  The abutment is totally concealed by my hair and I assume the processor will be, as well, when I have my "attach and turn on" day next week.

Many thoughts and prayers for tomorrow.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ksiwek

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »
Hi Sarah!

My processor is further back on my head because I had translab AN removal.  The abutment has to be on bone and Drs will want to avoid your mesh altogether when doing the implant.  So the placement will also depend on the approach used to remove your AN.  Having said, nobody notices the processor when my hair is down.  I don't think it is all that noticeable when my hair is up for that matter.  I put my processor on after I do my hair to avoid getting any hair product and such on it and to avoid knocking with my brush.  The abutment itself is a non issue when brushing your hair.  It doesn't get in the way.

Good luck with surgery!!!

Kris
Translab 6/4/10 for 4+ cm left AN.  Drs Friedman and Schwartz at HEI saved my life!
BAHA surgery on 10/7/10 with Dr Battista of Chicago Ear Institute (Oticon Ponto Pro)

sarahinPA

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 08:05:22 am »
Thanks everyone!! I came out of surgery with hearing loss but it's weird because  I can't hold a phone to my ear, but I can hear people
On that side of me and I can hear directional sounds. I dint know if this will last this way forever, but the whole time I was in the hospital my family sat on my an side and heard them very well!! For now, I feel that I can live this way and it's not a huge adjustment!!! 
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.