Author Topic: Hearing  (Read 2950 times)

lunar

Hearing
« on: July 22, 2011, 12:07:41 pm »
Hi everyine.  I've never posted on a forum about this before and I know I should go to my doctor but I wanted to ask is it normakl to have hearing for a few weeks and then lose it for two weeks? I don't lose it completley it's just very dull, almost nothing like when you wear ear plugs, does anybody else get this?

Thanks.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hearing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 12:16:56 pm »
Lunar ~

I never had the loss of hearing you describe (mine just slowly got worse in the affected ear) and I'm not a doctor so I won't attempt to offer any explanations.  I will recommend that you see your doctor and  if he/she doesn't see a problem they'll very likely refer you to an ENT physician.  My only advice is that, if the ENT doesn't seem to find anything wrong with the ear, that you request he/she order an MRI scan 'just in case'.  Frankly, I hope you just have a build-up of 'ear wax'.  My son had that once or twice and it was treated in the doctors office by the Physicians Assistant.  His hearing immediately returned to normal.  That was a decade ago.  Perhaps you'll be as fortunate.  Please let us know.  Thanks.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 12:32:50 pm »
Hi lunar .....

Jim has already given you a good answer so I will not repeat.

I did not have my hearing go and then come back.  My hearing loss was sudden and felt like it was stopped up or that I was up on a mountain.  Some AN patients do have loss and then come back again for a while, or until treatment.  Can be quite different.

Like Jim, I would urge you to see your doctor and have it checked.

Let us know what you find out.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

TJ

• 1.2 cm AN right side, CK November 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 02:29:16 pm »
Lunar

You might want to ask your doctor to check you for Meniere's Desease.  I have an AN on the right side and Meniere's on the left side.  Meniere's does exactly what you are talking about.  One day you can hear fine and the next day you can't hardly hear anything.

Just a thought

TJ

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:20:22 am »
Lunar:

About 3 years prior to my AN, I had some hearing loss w/ lots of crackling in that same ear. I went to the Dr. It turned out to be an ear infection. I got some meds for it. My hearing returned to normal after the ear healed.

Unfortunately, 3 years later I got sudden hearing loss that turned out to be the AN in that same ear & my hearing loss was permanent that time.

Please go see a doctor. Hopefully, your situation is not an AN.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

mattsmum

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 04:43:30 am »
lunar - my AN gave me intermittent hearing loss such as you describe. i was convinced i had wax/glue etc.
i did also have balance problems i attributed to my age (i was 44 at the time...) and tinnitus, and only sought referral when i noticed facial numbness. at that time my hearing was normal. sadly my hearing has deteriorated considerably now and not recovered, so do go and see someone.
bw vikki
LINAC radiosurgery july 2011 for 1.5cm tumour (uk)

Mei Mei

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »
Dear Lunar,
I'm just chiming in here to add that I had the similar experience so do go to the ENT and have the doctor order an MRI to straighten things out.
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh