Author Topic: A question about balance  (Read 5091 times)

Lorbis

A question about balance
« on: June 05, 2011, 08:23:09 pm »
If one were to practice yoga prior to having surgery, would it make regaining balance back a little faster or easier?  Just wondering as I may be facing translab surgery in the coming months and I practice yoga.  Thanks!!

tweety

Re: A question about balance
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:55:53 pm »
Lorbis,  I am not sure about yoga but I practiced balance exercises prior to surgery so that I would be familiar with them post op and also in hopes that my balance would return faster. Don't know if that is the reason but I had very little balance issues post op.  Maybe my body was conpensating prior to the surgery and I didn't know it.  I dont think any  of those things will harm you.  It is so much better to be educated prior to surgery and this site is wonderful and the people are soooooo supportive.  Tweety

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 05:53:35 am »
Hi Laurie .....

Any pre-op exercise is helpful in making your post-op recovery smoother.  Yoga would be extremely valuable because your body would already know how to do the most helpful balance exercises.  Like Tweety said you may already have begun to compensate for the missing vestibular nerve function on your AN side.

Immediately post-op you will have some muscle weakness/fatigue to deal with, but being in good shape physically beforehand will greatly minimize this.

Best thoughts.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:59:09 am »
Lorbis -

I have some wonderful vestibular exerises my neurotologist gave me.  If you do them prior to your surgery, they'll be easier to do post op.

They really helped me with my balance issue; saved me from having to go to a PT.

If you'd like a copy of them, please PM me your email address and I'll send them your way.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »
I am 62 years old, and work out every day, weight lifting. I had translab when I was 60, and had PT following the surgery. I am still mildly wonky 24/7 and I really don't think that it will ever change. The  therapist said that my physical strength was key to keeping me on my feet, and without being strong and muscular, I would not be very steady on my feet.

Every recovery is different. Others on this forum seem to have very little balance problems. Hopefully, you will join that crowd. What ever happens, keep doing yoga. You may loose some of that perfect style, and you might stumble, and you might fall, but just keep doing it. There are times when I stumble, but I am strong enough to catch myself. I just rode my bike recently, but I like my teeth in my mouth, and decided not to ride the bike. My dentist agrees!

Balancing is done with your vestibular system, your eyes and your muscles. If you have translab, you will lose one of the two vestibular systems, and your brain is going to have to be retrained. I'm not sure doing yoga now will improve your post surgery balance very much unless you already have balance issues. If you already have balance issues your brain is already in the process of being retrained, and yoga now will be some help. Once that nerve is severed, yoga will serve you well. It requires balance and strength. Getting back into weight lifting after surgery also gave me a goal. I am very goal oriented, and that was a big benefit to me. Remember, muscle strength is one of the three systems that help balance you.

Be patient with your recovery. It is a long process. Set goals. Stick with it. You can modify your exercises when you start doing yoga following surgery. Yahoo for exercises...good stuff. Good luck!

James

Suu

• Better out than in.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:01:39 am »
I hope this post stays around for the W&W folks.
In hindsight I wish I'd have had the chance to do pre-op exercises of any sort.

Keep on keeping on.

Cheers,

Suu
4cm Left side AN Translab August 18th 2010
Facial nerve not working
Nerve conduction Jan '11 Repeated 23rd May '11
SSD left side
5 ops in 6 weeks to fix CSF leaks
Tarsorrhaphy 9 Mar '11 Extended 26 Aug '13
Sling Thur 16 June '11
12/7 nerve graft 9 Feb '12

staypoz

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:57:16 pm »
Lorbis, it can't hurt!  I did a lot of folk dancing before my surgery and post-op, my physical therapist told me to walk through the patterns of the dances I remembered because the movements were (my words) hard-wired in my brain from repetition.  Not only do I think it helped me physically, it was a psychological boost -- I can do this!!!

Good luck!

staypoz

psmix

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 08:14:21 pm »
I was doing yoga before my AN was discovered. I was having some mild balance issues, but I redoubled my yoga and started doing balance exercises before my surgery. I have had very few balance issues post op. I'm sure that the yoga helped to strengthen and compensate for the lost function on the tumor side. I think your body adjusts to and compensates for the kinds of movements and activities that are normal for you as long as you continue to practice! I notice that I lose ground if I don't do it for awhile.
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

LisaM

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 10:01:27 pm »
Kundalini yoga is particularly good for balance as there are some postures with eye work that are very similar to some of the PT exercises for ANs.  

One that comes to mind; sitting in easy pose, Look to the extreme upper left corner, look to the extreme lower left corner, look to the extreme lower right corner, look to the extreme upper right corner, keep going in a rectangular/circular motion for two minutes rapidly.  You get a little dizzy at first but your brain embraces it pretty quickly. I love Kundalini yoga, it is my medicine.  I like to think that because of Kundalini, my balance is still pretty much intact even though a balance test revealed a 34% weakened balance AN side.  I'm trying to fit in as much yoga as I can while I wait and watch.
Wait & Watch
1st Symptom Temporary SHL 7/10 AN Diagnosed via MRI 4/14/11
AN Size 4/14/11 = 1.4cm x 1.8cm x 1.7cm
AN size 7/14/11 = Same - Stable, no growth
AN Size 2/01/12 = 1.3cm x 1.3cm x 1.6cm (5mm reduction)
AN Size 11/27/12 = less than a centimeter! (50% reduction! And I can still hear!)