Author Topic: low blood pressure/high heart rate  (Read 6636 times)

ombrerose4

low blood pressure/high heart rate
« on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:40 am »
Hi everyone,

I am 2 weeks post op today from retro-sigmoid resection.  For the last 4 days my blood presuure has been low (90/50) and my heart rate ranges anywhere from 86-120.
my pre surgery active b/p was usually 110/70 with heart rate of 65-70. Just wondering if anyone else out ther has experienced this. The visiting nurse told me to increase the salt in my diet and drink more fluids.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

lori67

Re: low blood pressure/high heart rate
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:25:37 am »
My bp was low after my surgery too.  For me, it was because I was getting dehydrated once I got home and didn't have the IV pumping fluid into me all day.  Once I started making sure I was drinking enough, it was back to normal.  I think your nurse gave you some good solutions.  Nurses are SOOO smart.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »
Surgery does mess up your fluids, you go from lots from the IV and then back to normal, so your body has to adjust and your body is healing, you may have been laying down alot more since the surgery so your body has to adjust again but you should right yourself. 
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

chelsmom

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:57:42 pm »
Hello,

My daughter had the same thing happen to her after her surgery.  She developed Sinus Tacacardia (sp).  Even after 2 1/2 years she would have problems with this.  She just had surgery again in June '09 and when they were doing all the surgery clearance tests they found that she now has whats called a 'right bundle block'.  Her cardiologist said these things can happen as a result of the surgery and the effects on the 'vegus nerve'.  I hope your situation changes and evens out soon. 
Good Luck,
Michelle

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 05:53:46 am »
Nurses are SOOO smart.   ;D

Gee, Lori, aren't you a nurse?  ;D  I agree - nurses ARE so smart.  And even if you weren't one, I'd agree.

Drinking lots of fluid should do the trick, ombrerose.   It will also help "flush" the anesthesia out of your system. 

Jan   
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

OTO

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »
I had to stay in ICU about 12 hours longer because of that, in fact the first time they had me sit in a chair, they say I almost passed out... so they put me back in the bed and called all the doctors.    Everyone else who had surgery on monday was discharged on Friday afternoon, but I had to stay until Saturday late afternoon (and I was on the IV for longer until the day I was discharged).

moe

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 12:06:26 am »
Yep, increase those fluids. Nurses ARE smart! I'm one of those home health ones. ;)  Good excuse to eat potato chips!
Wow that's nice that you were able to get home health. Hope you feel a little better every day.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty