Author Topic: Reason for Headaches?  (Read 4588 times)

heyct

Reason for Headaches?
« on: January 23, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »
Is there a certain reason why so many of us experience headaches? Aside from the obvious?

I've been having them occasionally now for a few months, but mine are tension headaches that start w/a stiff neck, or when I sleep funny, I can tell before I get up if it's going to be an issue. It then moves into a migraine. I'm wondering if mine has anything to do w/the AN or surgery or I'm just getting old & stiff.

I've searched for specific medical reasons related and only saw: possibly from having your head in a vice during surgery.

Thanks!
Carolyn
Diagnosed 2/09
9 x 6mm
Translab Surgery: 5/20/09, Stanford..it was a Hemangioma!
Almost complete removal, will have to do update MRIs.
BAHA Ponto Pro 5/9/11

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Reason for Headaches?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:50:10 pm »
I am convinced that's where mine came from.  If you are really interested, I would suggest ordering CD transcripts of the headache workshops from the Chicago symposium--just click on the ANA logo in the top right of this page and follow the links to the symposium stuff.  There are a few more causes including small CSF leaks and scar tissue adhering to the dura.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Mei Mei

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:43:38 pm »
I'm convinced it's from having my head in a vise for 9 hours.  My surgery was only 12 days ago and the pinched nerve on the surgery side of my neck doesn't go away and then there's the pain on my eye and shoulder that's general pain.  I put a heating pad on it but it never goes away.  I see my Primary Care doctor on Friday and wonder if he'll approve accupuncture.  I might during the week call the neurosurgeon and ask if that's advisable.  The accupuncture always relaxes me and takes the kinks out of everything.   Certainly 9 hour brain surgery counts as a stressful time to undergo.   Will let you know what they say about the accupunture this early in the game.

I'm just tired of the pinched nerve...it really hurts and I wasn't having headaches before the surgery.

Sincerely,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

epc1970

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:04:56 pm »
I would think that your surgery may be a likely cause-they could be more neck related than anything. I know for me, that is the likely cause and the way you desciribe your headaches are exactly like mine. I could guage if I was going to have a headache free day or not by how my neck felt in the morning. The cd's Capt Deb suggested are worth getting. I brought them to my Dr who is a spine specailist and they were able to help him fine tune his working hypothesis that my headaches were stemming from my neck that had be contorted to 8 hours possibly out of normal range of motion. Good luck taming those nasty headaches.
Erin

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:10:48 pm »
I am convinced it a 5th nerve problem either from damage being pressed/pushed on for years,  removal of the tumor sac us that had larger tumors, or actual damage during the operation. I would goggle this also, you may have suffered nerve damage? http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=5901.msg54568#msg54568
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 07:32:09 pm by Rc Moser »
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

bell

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 12:54:43 pm »
I agree, Surgery, vise grips, nerve damage, muscle damage are all contribute rs.  Neurological neck therapy also helped my neck with excesses and massage.  Drugs have not worked too much so on to Botox.   Good luck and thanks to all who post their stories, I could not have gotton through this past year without you.
Bell

pjb

• Sad to say now a W & W
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 02:47:49 pm »
I responded on another post that I think I read somewhere due to the drilling the surgeons use a gel foam to collect the dust but some must escape and this is what was stated can cause headaches and surgeons do not want to admit to that as a strong possibility  ????

Pat
Diagnosed with a 1 cm. AN had Retrosigmoid
Approach surgery July of 2009, several problems after surgery.