Author Topic: Why does heat seem to help?  (Read 2522 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Why does heat seem to help?
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:29:43 am »
So, still having pain and numbness and discomfort, but I have noticed that there are a few things that alleviate my pain other than drugs.

1.  A hot bath.  If I could live in my bathtub I would.  It provides almost instant and complete relief.
2.  Massage therapy (on a heated table).  Almost as good as the bath.
3. Exercise.  Whether I'm running or walking or biking, any vigorous aerobic exercise relieves my pain during my workout and for a short time after. 

So, what do these three things have in common?  Heat seems to be the link.  What do you all think?

Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

Re: Why does heat seem to help?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 01:08:08 pm »
Heat, or improving blood circulation, which is something heat tends to do.

Reduced blood flow to some spots seems like something that could happen from surgery, and it wouldn't take much change to cause some pain in the head - it is a sensitive area. The only thing is, what do you do about that? The likely answer is take baths, get massages, and exercise. :)  Maybe there is some medication that could help, I don't really know. A vasodilator, or something.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

mk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:40:59 pm »

I also think that improved blood circulation is the link in all this. Although my trigeminal issues are very mild to begin with, a few times that I went out pulling my 2-year old in his sled (aka vigorous exercise!) I felt that my symptoms were improved, even if it was cold outside. Also, symptoms are worse when I am tired - being tired is associated to reduced blood flow to the brain.

I heard somewhere that taking omega-3 fatty acids, may also help improve circulation. May be someone else can comment on this.

Marianna
GK on April 23rd 2008 for 2.9 cm AN at Toronto Western Hospital. Subsequent MRIs showed darkening initially, then growth. Retrosigmoid surgery on April 26th, 2011 with Drs. Akagami and Westerberg at Vancouver General Hospital. Graduallly lost hearing after GK and now SSD but no other issues.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:53:11 pm »
Marci -  I think I may actually be addicted to my heating pad!  Every night before bed, I use it on my head and neck - sheer bliss!  I seem to be like a heat seeking missile these days - heating pad, bath, anything warm.  Go figure that I a living in the frigid northeast...

BTW, I got one of the moist-heat pads - it is really wonderful. 

Debbi, snuggling up to the heat
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Tumbleweed

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 02:03:29 am »
I'm with Steve and Marianna on this one: I think the improvement is due to increased circulation that both heat and exercise promote. You might also try shoulder stands (a yoga posture) to increase circulation to the head. Matter of fact, I should do this myself. I've fallen out of practice.  :(

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:51:57 am »
Thanks all,
I've been trying to fit yoga in my schedule.  I may have to give up my husband to do it...... ;)
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 05:28:20 pm »
Heat is my friend as well. Yoga is hard for me. I've tried it on the wii-fit and there is too much balance and one leg kind of stuff. I'm not sure if I could have done it before I had a balance nerve removed but now it's darn near impossible.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006