Author Topic: Wierd post-CK symptoms -- should I worry?  (Read 6463 times)

Tumbleweed

Wierd post-CK symptoms -- should I worry?
« on: July 12, 2008, 11:11:09 pm »
Hi, everyone:

I just got back home after having CK at Stanford this past week. Feeling pretty crappy today; traveling home really wiped me out.

I am not surprised to be very fatigued, feeling weak, a tad dizzy (disequilibrium, not vertigo) and having mild shortness of breath. But I am a little concerned that my skull feels a little numb, like it's been shot up with novacaine. And I also feel a little like I'm out of my body (kinda like the fuzzy feeling you have when you're drunk, but without the stupor).

Is this normal? Has anyone else felt these symptoms (out of body, numb head)?

Thanks,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Lorenzo

Re: Wierd post-CK symptoms -- should I worry?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 01:49:18 am »
HI tumbleweed,

Yes it is. First few days were weird for me, between steroids, nerves and fatigue it was all a bit of a stress inducing event. I felt like my ear was a separate entity to my skull, had weird episodes of going red like a tomato one minute, the next I was like a blanched almond, tired at a seconds notice and not to steady on my feet. Feeling drunk? Yes, I'd say so. One thing I realised of course very quickly, this was a MAJOR surgery, not a walk in the park. It's the brain we're dealing with, any intervention, however minimal it seems, is right the opposite as far as I'm concerned.

So, take your time, those symptoms should vanish pretty soon once the initial trauma has settled. And, don't forget, the mere fact of going for such an intervention can give us enough stress to cause all sorts of weird effects. Wew might be as cool as a cucumber at the time, or we think we are, but it takes a lot out of us. Well, ok, I did for me anyway.

And by the way, welcome to the next phase of your life!  :)  Continued health a great recovery to you Tumbleweed.

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 07:13:51 am »
Hi Tumbleweed and congrats on achieving "postie-hood".  Hope you had a little fun with the "eye" and it sounds like you are doing fine.  Like you, after immediate treatment, I did experience the "weird" overall feels that you note and that outta-body feel can sometimes be attributed to the infamous "wonky head" we note around here.  It's kinda like taking cold meds and getting that "disconnect" feeling, toss in a little balance issue here and there and yep, that's it.....

Fatigue seems to be the toughy to initially overcome (for those that did have it immediately post-treat), so if you feel a nap coming on, go for it (and enjoy one for me too!)

Congrats again...... may your AN die a fugly death now and onward/upward to wellness.

BTW, wondering what happened to your hair during treatment? You tie it back or ? ? ?  BTW, I cut mine off yesterday.... needed a healthy cut.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 10:43:56 am »
Thanks so much for your replies and insight, Lorenzo and Phyl. It's reassuring and comforting to know that these symptoms are "normal" and that I'm not the victim of a radiosurgery gone tragically wrong!  :)

Phyl, they didn't need to cut my hair. They just sort of draped it over the cradle the back of my head was rested on. They didn't even want me to tie it back in a ponytail, as that would've changed the CK setup in some way. They were very exacting in their setup for treatment, fine-tuning my position and marking landmarks on my mask for the followup treatments #2 and #3. I can't say enough good things about Stanford's entire staff. Unwavering attention to detail, cheerful/reassuring attitudes and very responsive to all my questions and concerns.

Lorenzo, you're right about the emotional impact of the treatment. I was a mess when I got home and the steroids wore off and I realized how out of it I was. I was also a bit panicky during my second treatment. The steroids had me so hyper that when the "big eye" swung around to the front of my face, my heart started pounding like a jackhammer. They gave me an anti-anxiety pill to calm my nerves before the treatment, but I didn't even feel it. So, for the third and final treatment, I arrived half an hour early and asked the meds doctor for a double dose of anti-anxiety meds. That did the trick; I sailed right through the third treatment without any problem.

I'm feeling much better (so far) this morning, after a restful night's sleep. But it does seem that at any minute I can become very fatigued. I also notice intermittent "red face" episodes like you mentioned, Lorenzo.

It's good to know that these are all normal reactions. Now I won't worry so much. Thanks a ton to you both for your support.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Lorenzo

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 11:17:27 am »
No problem Tumbleweed. Sounds like you're going through the perfectly normal sequence of events as far as I can see. Took me about a week to feel normal again and calm. Then, I went on a driving holiday right after Ck, around California / Napa / Monterey, so I felt great. The rest after that was a bit of an up and down journey, but that was to be expected.

Feel free to send a PM if you want to in future and you want to discuss anything. Glad to be of any help. :)

All the best,

Lorenzo
doing great now.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008, 11:30:03 am »
Thanks, Lorenzo!

All the best,
Tumbleweed

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 05:35:49 pm »
Hi Tumbleweed,

Glad to see you made it through. Also glad to hear that "tomato face" is considered a normal post-treatment symptom; I would not have guessed that. :)

I expect you will feel much more settled in a few more days. Take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 07:11:38 pm »
Tumbleweed, great news about the hair and I knew it would all work out.  Funny, I really haven't thought of it recently but you reminded me about the flushing/red/warm face.... felt like menopausal hot flashes, almost flustering feeling, face very warm to the touch.  I really haven't heard others speak of it but yet, it really hasn't been mentioned lately either.  I just stuck my face in the freezer from time to time... and it did let up after approx 1 month....

(and yes, Jan/Lori, I can distinguish between a hawt flash and CK flushing.... geesh!) ;)

Hang in there, Tumbleweed. You're doing great!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Tumbleweed

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 08:09:56 pm »
The freezer sounds like a good idea; I think I'll try that!  :)

I can't take credit for the tomato-face revelation. Lorenzo pointed that out first. I just thought I had a suntan. :)

Tumbleweed

Lorenzo

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 11:46:25 pm »
... and, did anybody get the reverse of the tomato face, the blanched almond look? or was that just me? One used to follow the other, red first, then blanched.  :)
Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

fbarbera

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 04:56:05 pm »
Fatigue hit me pretty quickly after treatment as well and came and went for several months.  It's a bit of a roller coaster.  From the postings here, I get the sense that I had more intense post-treatment symptoms than most, but if you are interested, I describe my post-treatment symptoms in detail in the "post-treatment" section of my website (see below).  Things did improve a great deal for me but it took some time.  Be well, Francesco

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 02:52:42 pm »
Tumbleweed:

I trust that you're doing much better at this point, about a week past your CyberKnife treatment at Stanford. 

I believe your experience serves as a good example of what actually happens during and after radiation treatment.  While radiation is certainly easier to endure than surgery, it's not a quick in-and-out, no-disruption-in-your-routine kind of experience.  There are discomforts and definite after-effects involved.  I think some folks either are not aware of that or simply see radiation as so much easier than surgery they ignore some of the realities.  Your narrative helps inform those who may be considering CK and serves a valuable purpose.  I offer my thanks to you for posting it.  May your recovery continue and may you have even better tomorrows.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Tumbleweed

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2008, 10:16:05 am »
Jim, you're absolutely right. I underestimated the impact CK would have on me immediately after treatment. I think that's partially due to a slight lack of information from Stanford in this regard (they were thorough about everything else). When I talked to a nurse practitioner on my CK team a couple months before treatment, she mentioned I might be fatigued afterwards, but the possibility of the other symptoms occurring -- including numb skull, out-of-body experience, shortness of breath -- were not mentioned (perhaps because not everyone experiences these symptoms, so they didn't want to alarm me unnecessarily?). Dr. Chang had mentioned to me before treatment that the symptoms I was having before treatment could intensify after treatment, so I expected I might have increased disequilibrium and tinnitus (it turns out my tinnitus didn't increase; in fact, it may have decreased slightly!). Bottom line: everyone should know it's not a walk in the park. Or at least it wasn't for me. It was a moderately traumatic experience emotionally, and the first day post-treatment was difficult physically and emotionally for me to endure (in large part because the symptoms surprised and therefore frightened me).

That said, after treatment, Dr. Chang assured me my post-treatment symptoms would be transient and should abate shortly, and he was right. I'm doing much, much better now, 9 days post treatment. The first three days were the worst. After 5 days, I only had increased (mild) disequilibrium and (moderate) fatigue (and my usual tinnitus) but was beginning to go for walks. Yesterday (8 days post-treatment) I walked 1.2 miles twice in one day, once in the AM and again in the PM to avoid the summer heat (which really wipes me out right now because of my underlying fatigue). I'm planning on doing 2 miles today. My disequilibrium is now about 15 to 20% greater than it was before treatment, which is tolerable. Hopefully that will improve as I walk more and my brain compensates for aberrant vestibular signals it's receiving. In summary, I'm feeling waaaaaaaay better than I was the day after treatment, and I continue to improve with each passing day.

Best wishes,
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 10:28:35 am »
P.S. One other thing I forgot to mention: on about day 5 post-treatment, I had a sharp stabbing pain happen on the opposite side of my head from where the tumor was. This happened about 4 or 5 times within the span of half an hour or an hour at most. It would be intense for about 1 or 2 seconds, then take another 30 seconds to fade completely away. Thankfully, that hasn't happened since.

As I never get that type of pain usually, I assume this was due to the treatment.

Anyway, I mention this so other people who are about to get CK know what to expect and don't become too alarmed if it should also happen to them. I'm none the worse for it now, and it was over quickly. I remembered someone else on this board also mentioned this happened to them after CK, so it didn't concern me too much. It wasn't horrible, but it also wasn't pleasant.

Best,
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:07 am »
Well, I'm back to feeling totally wiped out (profoundly exhausted and short of breath) for the past couple days and into today. How long do these episodes of fatigue usually last?

Tumbleweed