Author Topic: Stoneaxe's Update  (Read 47268 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Stoneaxe's Update
« Reply #180 on: August 02, 2009, 10:30:37 am »
Bob (Bob Bob Bob BOB  :-\ ),

This is really just a short window of time… you need to slow down and rest… eventually you will get back behind the paddles… but right now you need to “whoa there boy!” “Short term pain for long term gain!”

I am sorry you had to have a re-entry surgery … but you needed to nip this in the “bud”. (BTW speaking of “bud” I do not think it is a good idea for you to sit on the dock and drink beer… nag-nag… mother-mother …nag-nag  ;)  ;D )

Know that 2 summers ago I was also leaking CSF… that went on for 2 + months. This last 2 weeks I was up at Crater Lake (won’t deny though I had total wonky head at 6,000 + ft elevation which I never suffered from before surgery …so my rock climbing days in the Canadian Rockies, of my youth, I will have to put behind me and now I am thinking river rafting might be cooler http://www.wildrogue.com/  …However I will only do it if they let me wear a helmet on the raft)….also I was kayaking in Honeyman State Park Lakes … and now taking early morning Polar Bear dips …

This was not ACL knee surgery- this was “brain” surgery. It WILL take longer to recover- and more so if you push yourself too hard. If you do not get to surf this fall on the east coast- know that there is always the west coast… and you will eventually get back to it, as you are so motivated to do so. In the meantime try to be more motivated to just slow down and heal- you adrenalin sports nut you! (Tease HUG  :-* )

Enjoy the surf from the beach and avoid the beer for a while… you are dealing with all sorts of fluid issues- Do NOT add alcohol at this time. You WILL get back onto the board- then you can bring out the champagne. In the meantime- no to alcoholic bevies and find other stuff to keep you happy… there are other adrenalin rushes you can get in dryer land sports…

DHM :)

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

joebloggs

« Reply #181 on: August 02, 2009, 01:26:05 pm »
Awww Bob,

Sorry to hear about this, that super sucks.  I totally understand why you're so bummed.  So great that you've got the infection sorted though - the one place I would imagine you don't want an infection is in or around your brain oui?  I've found a guy nearby who has a board I can try out tomorrow in Cambridge so I will go out paddling tomorrow night after work and think of you.  You know at times like this you just need to get out of the funk and get back to the "it could always be worse" mindset - then you'll be right.  You can race again next year - and you'll be back paddling in no time and that's the main thing! 
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #182 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:48 pm »
Bob,

How about when you are up to it ...you come to Portland and teach our Oregon ANA support group how to surf… it would be great vestibular therapy.

I would truly love to lean how to do this- and hey this outfitter (in today's  Oregon news video) provides helmets to cover the ole craniotomy  hole.

http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonian/2009/07/surfs_up_in_oregon_recent_boom.html

What ya say?

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

cindyj

« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2009, 08:41:48 am »
So sorry you had to make another trip back to the hospital and the knife again...and really sorry that you'll be sidelined for the big event - know you are disappointed.  Just remember there will be next year, and you will be better than ever, and this will all be way behind you! 

I know you'll see the bright side of this before it's over,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Seal

« Reply #184 on: August 03, 2009, 08:54:19 am »
Hi Bob,

I just wanted to add my regrets to hear about your set back.   However, you are lucky to have such a caring and compassionate surgeon as Dr. McKenna; he really is a great guy.    I guess sometimes our bodies just decide to take over and make us stop whether we like it or not.    The good news is that Dr. McKenna gave you the straight story on why you had the infection and that it was unrelated to the paddling.    I have also wanted to get back to my favorite sport -  road biking -- but the balance is still a little off, although improving.    So I'll join you in that beer this month, and we can just enjoy what's left of our New England summer as we progress down the road to final recovery.   Think of how good you'll feel by this time next year!   I'm sure there is plenty of paddling & biking in our futures.

Best regards,
Steve
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Kaybo

« Reply #185 on: August 03, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »
Bob~
Just to echo the others and say that I am so sorry things have worked out this way - I was so rooting for you to get out there and kick some AN booty!!  I can honestly say (from MANY years of experience with this thing) that things don't always turn out like you want them to - no matter HOW BAD you want it & are willing to work for it - but if you will look back (when YOU are ready) and really SEARCH, you will find a reason there somewhere.  I know you will be the BEST supporter there for all your friends!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cin605

« Reply #186 on: August 03, 2009, 06:51:21 pm »
Sorry to hear of the set back Bob......you know the sayin' here two steps forward three steps back....but its the first two forard that
really count!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #187 on: August 03, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »
Bob

I know I'm late chiming in... but I'm so sorry to hear about the setback.  You have been through so much during your AN journey and I'm sending you those wellness wishes (and the infamous hugglez to "The Boss") as you get back on your feet.. .and back to your paddleboarding.

Hang in there Bob! Cheering you on!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Keri

« Reply #188 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:19 pm »
Bob,
I've been out of town and am not up to date on what's going on...
I'm glad you are getting better with the infection and all but i'm also SO BUMMED about your not getting to do the paddle boarding challenge / event.
I know it'll be there next year too, but it's still got to be so rough. : (
Best to you and Sue,
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

tsl

« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:12 am »
Bob,
I've been away from the site and just found out today about your setback.  I am so relieved that Dr. McKenna made sure that you taken care of and put into good hands.
Take care,
Theresa
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2009, 09:07:42 am »
I can feel the good vibes from here...thanks all.

In the grand scheme of things this is just a small bump...a very frustrating bump but a bump none the less. There is some silver lining. I'm getting all the loose ends tied up for the event. Seems kind of foolish to complain about spending a summer day on a boat having a few beers with friends and family and coming in to a great party (don't worry DHM, I don't plan on having to many... ;D)

Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #191 on: August 04, 2009, 01:28:19 pm »
Just get well, will ya?  ;D

(hang tough Bob!)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #192 on: August 04, 2009, 11:00:04 pm »
Bob,
Sorry to hear about the hospital setback :'( And glad to hear it wasn't related to your paddleboarding!
So  just take it easy, man you hear? ;)
Here's to  no more leaks in the head.....
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2009, 07:30:28 pm »
Stitches out tomorrow and a shower....time to wash my head!
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

moe

« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:36 pm »
yEA, bOB!
Stitches out. Take it easy, keep an eye for any infection. Keep it clean and dry!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty