Author Topic: There's not always a hearing device  (Read 3328 times)

chance1212

There's not always a hearing device
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:31:50 pm »
I didn't think this would be the outcome of my appointment.
After an evaluation at Vanderbilt to explore hearing device options, I am just not a good candidate for any of them based on the tests. Several were tried--and didn't make enough of a difference (less than 10%) to justify taking further steps. I guess I just assumed if you can't hear that there would be something. In my case, I think the ringing is just so loud that it interferes with any benefit the devices offer.

Maybe there are some others who, like me, think "go to evaluation to decide which one" when it is also "go to evaluation to see if I am a candidate for one". 

If anyone knows of any studies for tinnitus that allow AN patients, let me know.
 :)
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: There's not always a hearing device
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:37:17 am »
Just because I am curious ..... why are you not a candidate for either a bone-anchored hearing device or a trans-ear type device??  Is it because your tinnitus is so loud?

I have screaming tinnitus most of the time, but I still love my Oticon Medical Ponto (bone-anchored hearing device).  It does not cover the noise of the tinnitus because that is a brain-thing ..... but it sure helps me hear the sounds coming from my deaf side.

Like I say, just curious .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:26:13 am »
Get another evaluation! I was not a good candidate for a BAHA, but I got one, and I am really happy I did.

James

nftwoed

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 09:36:10 pm »
Hi chance1212;

Generally; The more good and usable sound one introduce into the ear, the less noticeable the tinnitus is as it is masked.
The brain can take many months to accept and get used to a hearing device, whichever.
   I implore you, as a fellow pt. and human, to try something for a time if you have opportunity.
   Some do better with bone conduction , others with air to bone if trying to correct single sided deafness.
   If you are trying to correct a sensoineural hearing loss, HAs are worth a try no matter what one Aud says. I've seen dozens of Auds through the years.
   Re tinnitus; I still believe one just has to tolerate the best one can. It goes with the territory of hearing loss. There are really no known cures and if someone reports something helped, and continues to do so for a long time, it's likely psychosomatic, but that's OK. Maybe "Arches Tinnitus Formula" helps some because they are expecting to hear less tinnitus? Other meds/brands/etc.
   I've tried to marvel at all the ways my brain will look for that perfect hearing single from the nerve by sending it's own signals. The cochlea is still active so it makes noise.
   Best wishes to you whatever your ultimate outcome!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 09:41:54 pm by nftwoed »

chance1212

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 09:20:36 pm »
I haven't been on here forever! Clarice--I actually do have a Transear and surprisingly when they tested it during the evaluation, it showed the most improvement. It was under 10% though. Yes I guess it's the tinnitus being so loud that it would not be worth doing an implant.
Introducing any sound into a deaf ear is not effective since you have to be able to hear the masking sound for it to work. I have gone through trying a hearing aid on the good ear thinking that improving the hearing on that ear would help. I actually did that before surgery. There was no noticeable improvement.
I am thankful that I can (for no known reason other than God's involvement) hear in the classroom without difficulty!!
The tinnitus has begun keeping me awake just recently...and I'm hoping that is temporary. Meanwhile I'll wait for new medical advances/discoveries for relief. Dealing with deafness is not been that bad....just can't believe the noise.
Sorry my response is so late.
6mm 08/11;   lost hearing by 10/11 & tinnitus;  growth shown 02/12;  more growth-now 1.2 cm 08/12;  Translab @ Vanderbilt Haynes/Thompson  11/13/12
J. Hildebrandt