Author Topic: Post op MRI  (Read 1420 times)

ewchisek

Post op MRI
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:41:14 pm »
Did everyone wait about six months for the post op MRI? I'm wondering if I can talk my neurosurgeon into getting it sooner?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Post op MRI
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:51:22 pm »
Elizabeth ~

Six months is the usual time-frame for a post-op MRI. 

However, my neurosurgeon ordered one immediately following my debulking surgery to ascertain exactly how much of the tumor remained and how it was situated.  I underwent another MRI three months later to aid the doctors (oncologist, neurosurgeon) who 'mapped' my FSR treatments.

MRI scans are expensive (thousands) and, assuming your medical insurance is covering the cost, the doctor ordering the scan has to medically justify it before the insurer will pay.  This usually precludes having MRI scans closer than six months post-op.  Of course, every situation is different and if you can convince your doctor an MRI is needed sooner than six months, you may be able to get it approved by your insurer.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.