Author Topic: Very strange sensation  (Read 2498 times)

cheza

• I must be strong, this thing is beating me
    • facebook
Very strange sensation
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:36:07 am »

OK,

I have just had a really strange sensation, i wondered if anyone else has had this feeling too?

I was stood chatting to the kids in the kitchen quite normal, have felt fine all day when all of a sudden i had a kind of buzzing all around the inside of my head, I went really dizzy and had to grab hold of my son, everything went blured almost black, it lasted no more than 5 seconds and I honestly thought I was going to faint or pass out, no sooner had it started it stopped and after a minute or two I felt fine again.

It was really strange and also a little scary.

I daren't tell my husband because he worries about me so much, even when I'm well.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheryl XxX  :-*
diagnosed 4th Oct 07 with a 3cm left acoustic neuroma,
surgery 9th Nov 07, age 30 at time of surgery,
total hearing loss to left ear, grade 6 facial palsay (getting better)
latest MRI shows regrowth on facial nerve.

kenneth_k

Re: Very strange sensation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:10:27 pm »
Hi Cheryl.

It doesn't sound all that pleasant, but it doesn't necesseraly have any relation to surgery.
Maybe it was low blod sugar, stress, fatigue, low blood pressure. I actually fainted once because I was standing at my heels at a military parade for to long time.

But I do think that you might discuss it with a doctor if it continues.

Best regards, Kenneth

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »
Cheryl,
  It sounds like you almost did pass out.  I had a few similar episodes before AN diagnosis, and actauuly passsed out once.  It was just as you described, buzzing noise, vision begins to tunnelize or fade and goes black, dizzyness.  One doctor called it Syncope.  I had about 5 of these episodes, and it hasn't reoccurred in several years.  It's a little scary since you don't know when it might happen.  It's hard to say if it is related to AN.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 09:45:48 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 03:42:34 pm »
Cheryl:

That little episode sounds sufficiently scary to prompt a call to your doctor to see if it could be related in any way to your surgery, which seems doubtful - but who knows?  I sure don't - but this kind of incident should not be brushed off and thus, go unaddressed.   I can think of a multitude of reasons for this happening (blood pressure being momentarily too high or low leaps to mind) and while few are terribly serious, none are especially good.  The next time it happens (if it does) you might actually pass out and not be at home, standing at the kitchen sink, but in a public place or worse yet, driving.  Please call your doctor for answers. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Keeping Up

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:04:51 pm »
I actually fainted once because I was standing at my heels at a military parade for to long time.

Me too - many many times, and I was only in the reserves for about 3 years.  I think they should have stopped putting me out on parade because I was just going go collapse if I had to stand still for any amount of time.  I have to say, 10 years later, that is still one of the worst feelings of pooling blood in your feet, the nausea, the black out and the unavoidable face plant - only could hope you got moved off before you hit the deck!

I have low blood sugar and very low blood pressure.  If I stand up too fast, everything will go black and I will hit the floor so fast - the whole world goes black and I get the uncontrollable twitches, and I have no ability to figure out which way is up.  I have been doing that since I was a teenager - low blood pressure and low blood sugar, then I am collapsing and GRUMPY!  It doesn't happen as much anymore as I eat more consistently but things still go black and woozy and powerful post-black out head rush (yuck) at least once a month.

However, since you have had surgery for something known to cause balance/dizzy issues, it would likely be reasonable to get it checked out.

dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:58 pm »
Hi,
I have had this happen to me many times--low blood pressure I think--though it hasn't happened since surgery.  The buzzing can get quite loud!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.